Always a Wasp

Author Topic: new management structure  (Read 629 times)

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: new management structure
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2020, 02:52:24 PM »
Whilst I certainly can see why people are saying "underwhelmed" if the team can carry on playing with the same attitude as with the last few games - and so make the best of the talent available - then that's fine.

I think all coaching regimes and coaches have limited effective lifetime and change often is a catalyst for improvement. The new coach has the incentive to get results and the players need to impress a new made selecting teams and directly influencing their futures.

I'm pretty content with these appointments - the S&C guy has an impressive track record - and it provides time to see how and if the DofR role should be the same and after consideration - it provides the opportunity to identify who and what, without worrying about the team on the pitch, in the shorter term.

And sometimes you need a bit of luck as well as doing the right thing. And Lee had the upside of injuries improving to set alongside his change of coaching regime. He was able to select a better balanced backrow than many international sides have, a class front row and some good SR's with the grunt required. This has provided the base for good play from a renewed Robson, Umaga prospering under Jimmy's wing and decent options outside.

More than happy with this as the option to take us forwards. Lets hope we keep key players

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2020, 02:52:44 PM »
I'm far from underwhelmed.
I welcome a different approach to needing the same old well paid 'boss' overseeing what's going on, if what's going on is already working.
Remove the hierarchy and create a team culture from top to bottom. If the last 3 games tell us anything at all, its that we shouldn't be afraid of change and maybe do something a bit different.

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2020, 02:54:29 PM »
I see this as positive.  Incomers have pedigree.  Letting Lee concentrate on coaching is a good move IMHO.  Someone has to do the DoR things and my guess is it will be vaughan and I am not sorry about that.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2020, 02:57:09 PM »
I'm more than happy for Blackett to have a crack at head coach, but I do worry over the lack of an older and wiser head in a DOR role. Also agree that Titterell could be a big loss.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2020, 03:00:14 PM »
I see this as positive.  Incomers have pedigree.  Letting Lee concentrate on coaching is a good move IMHO.  Someone has to do the DoR things and my guess is it will be vaughan and I am not sorry about that.

Vaughan said at the supporters forum meetings he met weekly with dai to talk all things on field and off field (recruitment, salary cap etc.), obviously not a dor role but overseeing everything going on in the "business", He also has experience of the dor / coach model at Gloucester which seems to have had its issues.
He has also said at forum meetings his preference is for smaller effective top management groups which is not what he found at Wasps again across the business.

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2020, 03:04:24 PM »
Knew Blaze’s playing career was cruelty thwarted by injuries but he has done a lot already despite still only being 34.
Stolen from Wikipedia:

Blaze started his coaching career at Leicester Tigers in 2010, as an assistant forwards coach to the first team and Head Coach to seconds Team. Alongside Richard Cockerill, Matt O'Connor and Paul Burke. As a coaching team they went on to win two English Championships, in 2010 season and again in 2013. Tigers also reached Premiership finals in 2011 and 2012,narrowly missing out to Saracens and Harlequins respectively.

In 2011-12 as Head Coach of the seconds team Blaze coached the Tigers to LV Cup Title 2012 LV Cup, which they then repeated in 2017 2016/17. In 2015 Richard was appointed as First Team Forwards coach, under Head coaches Richard Cockerill and Aaron Mauger.

In 2017 Richard Blaze stood down from his position has 1st Team forwards coach to explore new challenges and was quickly made academy coach for Leicester Tigers and England Under 20s Forward Coach.

As an academy coach Blaze was a part of the coaching team at leicester Tigers that coached the academy to their first championship and are currently the National Academy Champions.

As England Under 20s Forwards Coach Blaze, coached the side though a Under-20 Six Nations and Under-20 Rugby World Cup. Making into the Final of the World Cup, narrowly missing out to France in the final, in France.

Richard Blaze is currently the Forwards and Defence Coach for the England Women's First Team. After completing an successful autumn international period, they had gone on to become grand slam champions of 2019.

IMO thats a very solid CV for a young coach.

I read the announcement as Titterell already having a place to go, anyone else?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2020, 03:58:43 PM »
All you need to know about Richard Blaze and Pete Atkinson

Report from Adam Dickinson and Bobby Bridge:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-rugby-news-richard-blaze-18069716

‘Politicians and diapers must be changed often and for the same reason.’ Mark Twain.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2020, 04:28:48 PM »
Not disappointed with those announcements. The whole aura within the club has lifted since Dai left and Lee took over. Coincidence? A huge amount to thank Dai for, but in a very short space of time Lee’s approach, coupled with increased player availability, has seen the side leap up the table, playing really eye catching rugby.  With the player announcements to follow, next season could be something to really look forward to.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2020, 04:41:18 PM »

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2020, 05:40:02 PM »
I understand why most of us thought a new DOR wold be found - but where would we have found one from? 3 new appointments in Wales; just 2 in Scotland; 4 in Ireland - is there an Irishman as DOR there. And then we look at the Southern Hemisphere - the good guys have stayed were they were and there isn't anyone in Oz or S Africa that might be ready.
I assume they have looked at what the market for top coaches is like and decided to stick with Blackett - and he & his new team have been given the chance to prove themselves.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2020, 06:22:52 PM »
I'm happy with this. There was no guarantee a "name" was going to work and Blackett has been a breath of fresh air. I don't think it's a financial decision but the cash will be welcome. For me Youngs recruitment was phenomenal and it may be that which we miss - assuming he was doing the picking. If we can keep this squad together it's a top 4 outfit for me. In the last three or four games we were seeing that perfect trio of pieces fitting together - strong set piece, dominant forwards, incisive backs. That was under Blackett - long may it continue.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2020, 06:42:35 PM »
Vaughan isn't happy with how the dor + head coach thing has worked at Gloucester i guess.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2020, 07:07:34 PM »
Howley must have had his name in the hat.
Great news for Blackett if he has beaten off some more experienced candidates.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2020, 07:08:33 PM »
Vaughan isn't happy with how the dor + head coach thing has worked at Gloucester i guess.

The shots of Humphreys and Ackerman when we beat them, spoke volumes.
‘Politicians and diapers must be changed often and for the same reason.’ Mark Twain.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2020, 07:10:10 PM »
Howley must have had his name in the hat.
Great news for Blackett if he has beaten off some more experienced candidates.

Well, Lee has been part of our senior coaching team for the past 5 years. He's not a new boy.