Always a Wasp

Author Topic: EJ warns against "nigglie" Scots  (Read 1032 times)

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
EJ warns against "nigglie" Scots
« on: February 05, 2020, 08:54:27 AM »
Methinks you should keep your mouth completely shut this week Eddy!

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: EJ warns against "nigglie" Scots
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 09:09:08 AM »
Methinks you should keep your mouth completely shut this week Eddy!

Not so worried about that as I am the shoehorning in of his favourite players out of their usual positions......

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 09:39:36 AM »
Worried about both. Idiot Aussie bravado and "genius or muppet" selections can really synergise into an unholy mess.

Nopace

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 12:35:03 PM »
According to the independent article EJ says Tom Currys long term position is 8 which is probably news to Tom and his club. In other news hes bringing in jack nowell as a 7. Oh wait, he actually did say that.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 12:40:32 PM »
Not forgetting Ben Curry at scrum half.  Mind you, he's tried all the other English-qualified 9s in the Premiership and none of them has been good enough.

Oh, wait...

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 04:27:19 PM »

In the early days, he also said that Elliott Daly could be a standout 12.

What are Eddie's other non standard positions?

6.  Lawes
7.  Nowell
8.  Curry T
9.  Curry B
10. Farrell
11. Mike Brown
12. Daly
15. Cipriani

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 04:38:19 PM »

In the early days, he also said that Elliott Daly could be a standout 12.

What are Eddie's other non standard positions?

6.  Lawes
7.  Nowell
8.  Curry T
9.  Curry B
10. Farrell
11. Mike Brown
12. Daly
15. Cipriani

13. Sinckler
14. Itoje

Stranger things have happened!

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 04:44:53 PM »
It wouldn't be too much of a surprise to see him try Billy V at 13 to replace Manu. Or Manu at 8 to replace Billy V!

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 05:26:07 PM »
I am having difficulty with what is a joke in this thread and what he has actually done/said.
Rather telling!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 10:02:25 PM »
I'm sure he played Nowell at centre once which was a disaster. His biggest crime though is trying to convince everyone that Daly is a 15. Apart from the fact he can't catch the high ball, has no positional sense and doesn't tackle there it went well.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 07:49:00 AM »
I still think the Tom Curry @ 8 idea is ridiculous... not having any proper 8's in the squad moreso.

However, when Eddie took over 4 years ago and went on a winning run through the 6N's and the Summer, we were all told that it was because other teams were transitioning, trying out new combinations and experimenting at the start of a new World Cup cycle. Whereas England were using a battle hardened team that were hurting from the embarrassment of exiting their own World Cup early.

Eddie should also therefore be allowed some of the same lenience that other teams were granted at the start of a new World Cup cycle.

If we come out of this 6N's having learnt the following, then it would have been a useful exercise:
  - Tom Curry is an exceptional flanker, but not a No8.
  - 2nd rows should play in the 2nd row. lock/flanker hybrid players should be used in a mid-game emergency only.
  - Ben Youngs' time may have come (although I don't see that we're really going to identify an alternative in this tournament)
  - Elliot Daly should only be considered as a full back as part of a mid-game reshuffle
  - Saracen's players in general may need a break from the international setup while they get their heads in the right place. (I feel that even without Vunipolax2, George, Kruis, Itoje we can still put out a World Class set of forwards)

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2020, 08:49:50 AM »
If we come out of this 6N's having learnt the following, then it would have been a useful exercise:
  - 2nd rows should play in the 2nd row. lock/flanker hybrid players should be used in a mid-game emergency only.
  - Ben Youngs' time may have come (although I don't see that we're really going to identify an alternative in this tournament)
  - Elliot Daly should only be considered as a full back as part of a mid-game reshuffle
  - Saracen's players in general may need a break from the international setup while they get their heads in the right place. (I feel that even without Vunipolax2, George, Kruis, Itoje we can still put out a World Class set of forwards)

But most of these lessons should have been learnt years ago.  Not Curry specifically, but Eddie's general penchant for square pegs in round holes, which applies to 3 of the first 4 points on the list.  Youngs has been on borrowed time for ages and Eddie's failure to even try to identify a successor in the 4 years between the last 2 World Cups is just baffling.
The Sarries issue is obviously a new one and not one that any coach could be expected to know how to prepare for.  I'll forgive him that one.  Although I'm not entirely convinced how significant a factor that was in England's performance.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2020, 09:20:41 AM »
I agree with you about Youngs.
However, in general, over the last 4 years virtually every pundit has continually stated they he is the best 9 in the country.

I don't understand why, but that's what they say... Not just Eddie.

As such, I can see why he stuck with him... But I agree that I don't understand why he never really tried to identify the next scrum half.
Unless he already knows who that will be

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2020, 09:40:10 AM »

But most of these lessons should have been learnt years ago.  Not Curry specifically, but Eddie's general penchant for square pegs in round holes, which applies to 3 of the first 4 points on the list.  Youngs has been on borrowed time for ages and Eddie's failure to even try to identify a successor in the 4 years between the last 2 World Cups is just baffling.
The Sarries issue is obviously a new one and not one that any coach could be expected to know how to prepare for.  I'll forgive him that one.  Although I'm not entirely convinced how significant a factor that was in England's performance.

My thoughts precisely.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 10:14:27 AM by matelot22 »

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2020, 09:41:31 AM »
I agree with you about Youngs.
However, in general, over the last 4 years virtually every pundit has continually stated they he is the best 9 in the country.

I don't understand why, but that's what they say... Not just Eddie.

As such, I can see why he stuck with him... But I agree that I don't understand why he never really tried to identify the next scrum half.
Unless he already knows who that will be

Not saying that you're wrong, but I honestly don't recall any pundit saying that. I'd say I've heard more praise heaped on Wigglesworth and Robson over the last 4 years than I have Youngs.....