Always a Wasp

Author Topic: EAs set to lose lucrative £2m-a-year sponsors Allianz  (Read 853 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
EAs set to lose lucrative £2m-a-year sponsors Allianz
« on: February 05, 2020, 09:17:28 AM »
‘Politicians and diapers must be changed often and for the same reason.’ Mark Twain.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: EAs set to lose lucrative £2m-a-year sponsors Allianz
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 09:37:41 AM »
Wonder if they fancy naming a stadium in Coventry?

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 09:45:32 AM »
That's a classic press non - story. theres nothing in there saying that Allianz will not be sponsoring Sarries, just that they might not. Whiuch is surely the same for any sponsor at anhy club?

It even says Allianz have yet to comment!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 10:18:03 AM »
It suggests that Allianz will not be extending their contract so another year to run. Suggests the EAs are looking for a new one but at reduced rate. All logical.

Interesting the level the rest are working at. Wasps at the lowest figure anyone?

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 12:44:32 PM »
As a Barnet resident I'm a little concerned that, given the financial incompetence already demnstrated by our local authority, we are going to be on the hook for $arri€$ in some way. I understand a loan of £30m for stadium works has been agreed, how the hell are we going to get it repaid?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 01:00:30 PM »
As a Barnet resident I'm a little concerned that, given the financial incompetence already demnstrated by our local authority, we are going to be on the hook for $arri€$ in some way. I understand a loan of £30m for stadium works has been agreed, how the hell are we going to get it repaid?

I would suggest it might be a gift to the EAs for bringing their good name to the Borough.

Sounds a bit like the Northampton FC loan from the local authority.  Gone missing!

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 04:18:40 PM »

I think it was £20m but it may well be £30m. Given how much Wray is worth and how he likes flashing his cash, I was surprised that a loan was needed but the loan may have been very clever move by Barnet Council.

Don't they own or part own the land or stadium .. so getting a potential charge over a developed stadium (with no risk or project management to Barnet CC) seems like good business sense if they end up with the asset. I'd also expect Barnet CC to have either a business or personal charge on Wray himself to warrant such a sizable loan by a tax payer funded entity.

Wray can take the hit if Allianz decide to not renew their sponsorship but I do wonder how people close to him, family members, business associates, will view Wray continually propping up Sarries at huge expense, possibly to the detriment of those with close family or financial ties

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 04:23:58 PM »
It suggests that Allianz will not be extending their contract so another year to run. Suggests the EAs are looking for a new one but at reduced rate. All logical.

Interesting the level the rest are working at. Wasps at the lowest figure anyone?

It's a shame they don't break the figures down.

They say the £2m per year for Saracens is naming rights and shirt sponsorship

Then they talk about the next best is clubs getting £650k for shirt sponsorship.

It's not apples and apples if one includes stadium naming rights and the other doesn't

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 04:35:38 PM »
Other than AJ Bell with Sale and obviously Ricoh, do any other Premiership grounds have corporate naming rights?

Ashton Gate is still just plain old Ashton Gate isn't it?  Apart from the Mad Stad, the rest are old grounds with historic names, where re-naming is unlikely to be well received with fans.

So very much not a like for like comparison.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 11:46:02 PM »

Perhaps time for a letter to your Statutory External Auditor? There ought to have been an assessment which might include the risk of non payment

It could make the LA technically bankrupt...like Northampton.

Such action needs to come from a resident - need to get a local paper on board perhaps?

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 09:13:23 AM »

Well there is an elite-level facility available for community use. There is a huge amount of money put into Mill Hill Broadway each match weekend. I'd say that goes somewhat to adding value to an investment