Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Gopps shares '4G' wounds from Cheats' game  (Read 746 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Gopps shares '4G' wounds from Cheats' game
« on: October 26, 2021, 12:21:03 PM »
Joe Marler and Freddie Burns have also shared their thoughts in recent times

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/jimmy-gopperth-wasps-4g-pitches-21970804

Though I've never played on one, I hate the idea of them.
"Three alcoholics and a speed freak... what could possibly go wrong?"
Lemmy on Dr Feelgood

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Gopps shares '4G' wounds from Cheats' game
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 12:24:31 PM »
Crossdale was bleeding. Even referred to by BT.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 12:46:11 PM »
Artificial surfaces are not at a place where you can play rugby upon them. The repeated evidence of soft tissue injuries are proof of this. Rugby suggesting that players wear tights is also acceptance this is a problem.

I am firmly in Marley’s camp of banning them. I get the community use argument, however I do not think this is strong enough for these surfaces to remain. Surfaces like HQ are the way to go.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 01:00:24 PM »
Artificial surfaces are not at a place where you can play rugby upon them. The repeated evidence of soft tissue injuries are proof of this. Rugby suggesting that players wear tights is also acceptance this is a problem.

I am firmly in Marley’s camp of banning them. I get the community use argument, however I do not think this is strong enough for these surfaces to remain. Surfaces like HQ are the way to go.

I don't know about Marley and me, but I agree with Marler that 4G pitches should be banned. I am amazed that the players don't start making so much social media noise, to the fans, with pictures, etc. that the story grows to the point where those old duffers at the RFU admit that even all the bungs they have received from owners and pitch companies are not worth the grief they are getting? After all, without some financial incentive, why else would the RFU ever have allowed them?

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 02:01:59 PM »
If I happen to see amateur footballers on an artificial pitch it’s noticeable how much less they are willing to stretch out, dive or slide than on grass. Even the goalkeepers seem to stand up more.

MarleyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 03:20:25 PM »

I don't know about Marley and me, but I agree with Marler that 4G pitches should be banned. I am amazed that the players don't start making so much social media noise, to the fans, with pictures, etc. that the story grows to the point where those old duffers at the RFU admit that even all the bungs they have received from owners and pitch companies are not worth the grief they are getting? After all, without some financial incentive, why else would the RFU ever have allowed them?

I agree with Joe...

If I happen to see amateur footballers on an artificial pitch it’s noticeable how much less they are willing to stretch out, dive or slide than on grass. Even the goalkeepers seem to stand up more.

I'm curious as to what will happen with the Commonwealth Stadium pitch in Edmonton when the 2026 FIFA World Cup takes place there. The pitch is artificial and a Scotland player suffered a nasty knee injury when they played Canada there a few years ago.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 04:36:03 PM »
I'd not want to prop on such a surface - especially with the issue of the surface being higher friction which might trap my foot in place.

This publication re the position in the USA is an interesting read - and the data is provided via a Stanford Dr. which seems to point to a higher incidence of ACL problems and that is linked to friction. This is without the issues around skin burns and what is in the rubber crumb....

https://medium.com/@handygohawks/turf-a-danger-to-the-health-and-wellness-of-athletes-edd7f7b84fe0

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 06:33:27 PM »
I remain to be convinced that tights are the solution. Back in the late 80s we had one of those nasty brillopad pitches installed. Dreadful experience. It was mainly for hockey, but did get used for football. As my tackling technique involved sliding to tackle, I took the skin of my right knee within 5 minutes of my first game. Second game, I wore tracky bottoms to protect my skin.
But as that was made of polyester, it melted  on the slide tackle, making an even worse mess of my knee. The only solution was padded knee supports.

While the pitches way be different now, the basic physics of man made fibres and heat caused by friction have not changed. So tights may not be the solution that they’re believed to be.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 06:37:47 PM »
I remain to be convinced that tights are the solution. Back in the late 80s we had one of those nasty brillopad pitches installed. Dreadful experience. It was mainly for hockey, but did get used for football. As my tackling technique involved sliding to tackle, I took the skin of my right knee within 5 minutes of my first game. Second game, I wore tracky bottoms to protect my skin.
But as that was made of polyester, it melted  on the slide tackle, making an even worse mess of my knee. The only solution was padded knee supports.

While the pitches way be different now, the basic physics of man made fibres and heat caused by friction have not changed. So tights may not be the solution that they’re believed to be.

The rubber crumb moves though, and it's not "sharp" like the old astroturf stuff. I'd also think the tights material is tougher than a set of polyester tracksuit bottoms :D.

Certainly don't see burns etc on unexposed areas of skin.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2021, 06:41:24 PM »
I’d ban them tomorrow. Not only do they appear dangerous to me the game also looks all wrong played on them.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2021, 06:48:09 PM »
It's interesting that although a lot of sides have said about burns from artificial pitches no visiting player has worn leggings yet. This either means they don't think it will make any difference or they dislike playing in leggings more than the possible burns.
I wonder what pressure those who have artifical pitches as their home "turf" are under not to wear them as that would be an admission of some sort of issue as well.

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2021, 06:58:47 PM »
It's interesting that although a lot of sides have said about burns from artificial pitches no visiting player has worn leggings yet. This either means they don't think it will make any difference or they dislike playing in leggings more than the possible burns.
I wonder what pressure those who have artifical pitches as their home "turf" are under not to wear them as that would be an admission of some sort of issue as well.

Lol raised a valid point on Saturday that forwards won’t wear them as it would make lineouts and scrums more difficult (grip issue).

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2021, 07:02:32 PM »
Now a couple of players have worn leggings ( this was only the second allowable week) I reckon more will follow.  Might even see long tight shorts ( ala American football? ) .might have to dig out me old plus fours.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2021, 07:07:22 PM »

Lol raised a valid point on Saturday that forwards won’t wear them as it would make lineouts and scrums more difficult (grip issue).

Wait till someone gets round to putting the little rubber dots from the front of shirts onto the leggings.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2021, 07:20:26 PM »

Wait till someone gets round to putting the little rubber dots from the front of shirts onto the leggings.

With built in lifting ledges.