Always a Wasp

Author Topic: BB Comments on Attendances Etc  (Read 1283 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: BB Comments on Attendances Etc
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 04:21:36 PM »
In fairness there are a number of reasons the numbers are down, some are very reasonable. To some degree, it is a considered decision from the powers that be to reduce the number of free tickets being handed out. Whether that is the right move remains to be seen.

Secondly I have been trying to persuade them to embrace the newer forms of social media and deliberately target younger audiences for long before Covid with little in the way of response.  There is only so much that can be done with an organisation that doesn't see the power of "fast and dirty" video for social media in terms of attracting young people.

It won't be long before one of the GP teams starts doing it, and it saddens me that it will likely be the Cheats.  Everyone else will continue thinking that Communications and Marketing are the same thing and that all they have to do is push out a team sheet once a week with an occasional press release.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 04:31:36 PM »
I had a similar discussion on more adventurous ideas and was told that it was being worked on for the New Year. Staffing was said as a reason for slowness. Simple things like a low priced members club priced for adults and youngsters. Edinburgh does a very good package which I provided details of. Simple things win over people. We will see what happens- the track record is not too good.

On free tickets I was also told that they had ended the wholesale distribution so that most attendees were paying customers. I indicated I had been offered free tickets recently by CBS and that was dismissed as a small number by a major sponsor.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2021, 04:39:33 PM »
VV, please enlighten me, and this is not intended as criticism, but just what is a "fast and dirty" video? Am I missing out? I really don't have much to do with 'social media' which I find ephemeral at best and, for me at least, very much a waste of time.

PS. I'll be 74 next month which probably explains everything😁
"Three alcoholics and a speed freak... what could possibly go wrong?"
Lemmy on Dr Feelgood

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2021, 05:00:00 PM »
Secondly I have been trying to persuade them to embrace the newer forms of social media and deliberately target younger audiences for long before Covid with little in the way of response.  There is only so much that can be done with an organisation that doesn't see the power of "fast and dirty" video for social media in terms of attracting young people.

The problem with the Internet is that the way young people use it is changing faster than anyone older than, say, 25 (or even 20) can imagine. They've been off Twitter and Facebook for years but some companies still bang on about using them. Its tough for established business to appreciate the speed of change and react, that why that sort of thing is best given to an agency, but that costs big.

I also think that cries for more BBC coverage to get the young interested are also missing a point as well. Again young people don't use it like us oldies (well I don't watch either but that's a different point). The number of under 30s that don't a TV licence is staggering. I haven't got the UK figures to hand but in Ireland its approaching 50%. Its only going to get worse with each successive generation.

Marketing to and engaging young people is a fairly old problem. I've dealt with it at cricket and golf clubs and its really tough. When I was at Harleyford Golf Club in Marlow it was only £90 per year for young people and they could play as much golf as they liked* and it was effectively a free baby sitting service in the summer holidays and we still struggled to get a keep youngsters**.

How many free tickets did Wasps give to schools and the like when they moved to Coventry and how many maintained an interest?

This isn't to criticise anyone, its a really easy problem to state but a really tough one to solve, there's certainly no magic bullet.

*Except Sat & Sun morning from dawn to 10am when there wasn't a competition.

** For golfers that was when Tyrell Hatten was a junior and boy was he mister angry, I was on the committee and fought like made to stop him getting thrown out as he was a big attraction for youngsters because he was so good.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2021, 05:27:55 PM »
This isn't to criticise anyone, its a really easy problem to state but a really tough one to solve, there's certainly no magic bullet.

I would have thought - keep winning by playing attractive rugby would go a long way to bringing crowds back.
Lemmy on Dr Feelgood

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2021, 05:36:28 PM »

I would have thought - keep winning by playing attractive rugby would go a long way to bringing crowds back.

+1
And decent weather!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2021, 05:36:47 PM »
VV, please enlighten me, and this is not intended as criticism, but just what is a "fast and dirty" video? Am I missing out? I really don't have much to do with 'social media' which I find ephemeral at best and, for me at least, very much a waste of time.

Lol, no need to apologise. There are  number of new platforms designed for short, entertaining videos. YouTube shorts, Instagram Reels, Tiktok etc.

The format is pretty simple but needs commitment and a bit of knowledge of the target audience. It's also what I do for a living...

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2021, 05:53:16 PM »

Lol, no need to apologise. There are  number of new platforms designed for short, entertaining videos. YouTube shorts, Instagram Reels, Tiktok etc.

The format is pretty simple but needs commitment and a bit of knowledge of the target audience. It's also what I do for a living...

I would have thought some of our younger squad members would be happy to get involved, if requested.
Lemmy on Dr Feelgood

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2021, 06:16:03 PM »

I would have thought some of our younger squad members would be happy to get involved, if requested.

I'd have thought so too. A good following on Social media is a passport to an income after rugby.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2021, 07:20:16 PM »
We really have to work hard to ensure our roots are well founded. It will happen (and I know a few on Skybluestalk will be gnashing their teeth at that thought). It is sad to hear some of our supporters having to deal with the idiot minority, who have more fingers than brain cells, abusing them in public. But if we keep working with the clubs, the schools. Providing role models and positive memories through success, whist working hard on social media, and working with Coventry Council and the local businesses to get black and gold all around the City, we can make a long successful future happen.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2021, 08:04:24 PM »

Fair point.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2021, 09:53:31 PM »
I think our attendances will improve and as has been alluded to already I doubt the drop in paying customers is much less than a few seasons ago. Also, 9,000 in the CBS sounds like 5,000 whereas 9,000 in somewhere like Kingsholm sounds like 15,000.

Ipswichwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2021, 08:12:37 PM »
Worcester have an average of over 9,000 per match and perennially scrape along the bottom of the League. We donít create a good fan atmosphere , good food and drink plus GOOD service have been a problem from the start at the CBS. Those who visit Tigers and Saints all comment on the better experience in all aspects.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2021, 10:23:03 PM »
Communications from the club are poor. There has been a huge disconnect since Covid set in. OK lots of staff released but they really do need to up their game.

I also believe that a lot of the new fans who came along when we moved to Cov, were carried along by the passion of the experience. Now that passion has largely dissipated (plus the resurgence of CCFC) they have a choice of spending their hard earned wonga supporting a soccer team (with a very long history in the city) that is on the up again, against a relatively newbie rugby team that has somewhat lost it's way. (Injuries have been a major contributor)

The loss of Pete Nuttall from the stadium announcer's role, cannot be underestimated. He had been Wasps through and through for a very long. Certainly at AP and I bieve at LR before that. The current incumbent is appalling - it was my first experience of him and IMHO, the club have made a huge mistake.

I would love to know what Derek's thinking is about the current offering to the fans.