Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Elementary Error!  (Read 503 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Elementary Error!
« on: November 30, 2021, 09:25:39 PM »

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Elementary Error!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 09:47:28 PM »
I am not sure I agree. But, Covid has undone a lot of good work. It's going to be a long, hard road. A lot of good people within Wasps lost their jobs when Covid hit. Replacing them, building back the good work, that's going to be tough. Wasps still haven't gotten to grips with the Saturday or Sunday thing. If you want season ticket holders (you do), and you will be asked to play on Friday nights from time to time, those ST holders have to be local.

If you want local ST holders, wherever possible the games have to be on Sunday, and as early as possible, like 2pm KO. Wasps need families to come, who have kids who play. The local clubs play on Saturday (morning and afternoon) and Sunday mornings. Play late on Sunday (like 3pm) and London based ST holders find it harder to travel.

Plus, our tenants would prefer to play on a pitch before rugby is played on it.

But, Wasps need to be out there at those local clubs, in big numbers. Get the kids in, bring in their parents. Have family season tickets, instead of separate children tickets, so that only then do those child friendly prices apply if an adult buys a ticket too. Do couples/bring a friend season tickets. Advertising/marketing is all very well, but it is expensive to reach the audience. Going to where a local audience is every weekend is much easier, and that is the massive number of local club and school games.

hopwood

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 10:12:29 PM »
Evans is not wrong.
You should never give away your product and services for free.
It completely devalues your offering.

There are better ways of building loyalty.
ĎFreeí is not one of them.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 10:14:04 PM »
Lots of truth in that. I do not like Sunday games nowadays  but I can see how they work for STs. Regularity helps ST sales, and indeed at AP Sunday was the day more often than not.
Bottom line is we had Beale, Wade, WLR  et al in the team in and around the team just after the move.  You can go on about how the team is better now, more honest, more organic,  but nobody casual wants to pay just to see Josh Bassett, great club man that he is, in the way WLR, Beale, Wade bought people in. Craig Dowd was an awesome player, but aside from ex front rowers, most of  the casuals,the curious and thus prospective  local  ST holders wanted to see Alex King's sublime left boot releasing TV1 down the wing, they wanted to see Josh Lewsey lining players up the way Makakai does when fit today.
If I am honest we have lots of star quality in the forwards- I would pay just to watch the Willis bros or Alfie tearing it up, but in the backs Odogwu excites, Jacob going forward is a joy, and beyond that it is useful prospects,great players like the redoubtable Jimmy, but not the bum off seat excitement offered by Wade, WLR et al. We don't play ' you score 5, we score 7' that we once did post move.
I think the free tix is not a problem. Covid is a problem, rhe broken habit is a problem, the moving match day is a problem, and, if I am honest, what goes on on the pitch these past 14 months is a problem.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 10:18:31 PM »
Reality check time.

Where do we go from here? No doubt that Derek has already had that discussion. I just wish that the club would comminicate with it's supporters.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 10:54:18 PM »
Former CEO of the only two premiership teams caught cheating criticises a different team...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 06:30:45 AM »
Hindsight bias.

He sounds like one of those pundits that called 10 out of the last 3 recessions.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2021, 08:07:52 AM »
Isnít the major flaw in this chaps argument that he seems to be saying we are worse off financially as those that didnít pay to come now donít pay to come.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 08:15:33 AM »
As far as I know no freebies were available for the Christmas Cracker games (and others) and they attracted huge attendances.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2021, 08:31:49 AM »
There is a  more than  a touch of attempting to spread Doom, Gloom, Panic and Disaster on any Club that isn't Sarries,  thereby diverting attention from whatever it is that they're up to now.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2021, 08:39:54 AM »
It has to be reality check time for Wasps.

A lot has happened on and off the pitch in the last two years. Review of business required (although maybe just some parts of it?).

It would be interesting to know what the two and five year plans are.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2021, 09:29:45 AM »
It has to be reality check time for Wasps.

A lot has happened on and off the pitch in the last two years. Review of business required (although maybe just some parts of it?).

It would be interesting to know what the two and five year plans are.

I think the non-rugby side of things is doing just fine. It's just the rugby stuff.  When the only way you have to attract fans is for them to watch games, and then you don't win any games you are always going to struggle.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here