Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Another Big Bill for the RFU  (Read 4675 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Another Big Bill for the RFU
« on: March 30, 2019, 09:34:07 AM »
In today's Telegraph.

The Rugby Football Union’s financial crisis deepened on Friday with news it faces a multi-million pound bill to replace the roofs of three of the four stands at Twickenham Stadium.

It is understood a recent structural inspection of the stadium revealed the roofs over the north, west and east stands, the latter which has just undergone an £81 million redevelopment for hospitality facilities, will have to replaced.

The news is a further blow to the RFU’s attempts to reduce its cost base as the governing body must make savings of up to £10 million in the next financial year because of its troubled financial position, with losses of more than £11 million forecast for next year.

It is also understood the plan by Nigel Melville, the RFU’s interim chief executive, to establish a permanent Team GB sevens side to replace the England Sevens as part of a bid to save up to £2 million is in jeopardy as it is unlikely to gain the support of the Scottish and Welsh unions.

RFU council sources said the stadium inspection revealed the plastic roofs had all exceeded their normal lifespan of 25 years, with the north stand’s roof now 28 years old and the other two 26 years old.

The full cost of the project, which will be carried out over the next two years, has not yet been finalised, but it is certain to be a seven-figure expenditure. It is not yet clear what affect the refurbishment will have for England supporters.

“The glass reinforced plastic roof panels on the east, west and north stands require periodical replacement as part of the normal lifespan of the roof,” confirmed an RFU spokeswoman. “The steel [in the roofs] does not and has a much longer life expectancy.

“We are currently evaluating the most cost-effective options to extend the residual lifespan of the roof.”

It seems certain the RFU cuts will be even deeper now that the Team GB sevens project appears to have failed. Melville had told the RFU council last month that the governing body were considering axing the England Sevens side in favour of establishing a permanent Team GB side, with the expectation that it could be created by as early as July ahead of next year’s Olympics in Japan.

The community game is also bracing itself for cuts of up to £5 million next year and The Daily Telegraph has learnt the artificial grass pitch programme, which was stopped last year as part of the cost-cutting review that included redundancies of more than 50 staff, is now in danger of being axed completely.

The £50 million programme was hailed as one of the key legacies of hosting the 2015 World Cup, which yielded a record £27 million profit for the RFU, but was stopped in June last year after just 26 pitches out of a total of 100 had been installed across the country.

At the time the RFU said it hoped to resume its programme following the cost-cutting review, but it is understood that plans to build a further 10 pitches will now not go ahead unless the governing body secures external sponsorship.

“We are pausing phase three of the artificial grass pitch programme,” the RFU spokeswoman added. “We hope this is a temporary pause as we are in discussions with a commercial partner for the programme and, if these discussions are successful, our ambition is to recommence and start building these remaining 10 pitches. We have already built 26 AGPs around the country.”

Just how have they managed to spunk so much money up the wall? Is it just plain bad management or is there something deeper? 
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Another Big Bill for the RFU
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 09:40:25 AM »
Plain and simple bad management. But, on the bright side, I always felt that installing plastic pitches was a really bad idea. I said the same at the school I worked at when they installed one, but  that sadly went ahead anyway. Due to lack of use by local clubs, it has been converted to 5 a side round ball pitches.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 09:53:26 AM »
One of the club's I am involved with has local planning consent and original rfu agreement for a AGP from their scheme but all on hold, means can't do anything to that pitch and surrounding area until we know what is happening either way, sounds even less promising now.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 10:54:55 AM »
Didn't the East Stand redevelopment go £20m over budget which was primarilly done to expand corporate facilities.

Is Twickers (as that seems to be the thing that's eating money - oh.. and EJ's backroom staff list) an expensive folly for the RFU? Is a single purpose 80k seater stadium viable for rugby?

I know it is used for other things but how many sell out big games do they have each year.. 6 or 7?

BTW.. am I the only one that prefers "roooves" and not "roofs".. or am I being an old school pedant.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 11:18:22 AM »
Blimey, BG, just how old are you mate? Apparently roofs has been the standard form since at least the 18th century. Today, the usage of rooves (or roooves :))is so low as to approximate zero. Bryan Garner, in his book Garner’s Modern English Usage, estimates the disparity to be 535:1!
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 11:24:35 AM »
Twickers makes big money.

A huge part of the home the rfu find themselves in is due to someone not realising there'd not AIs during the world cup...

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 11:27:20 AM »
Plain and simple bad management. But, on the bright side, I always felt that installing plastic pitches was a really bad idea. I said the same at the school I worked at when they installed one, but  that sadly went ahead anyway. Due to lack of use by local clubs, it has been converted to 5 a side round ball pitches.

Me too - glad I've only played 5-a-side on plastic - my body is falling apart enough as it is! I can the benefit for training areas to allow the grass some rest, but not for playing

Only my bias of course!

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 12:25:49 PM »
A proper cup with final and semis double heading at HQ might help swell the coffers.

Could also ask the League counterparts if they fancy a game at the HQ of a truly international rugby stadium.

I would also favour a top/bottom championship playoff at HQ rather than automatic promotion/relegation. Then again I also favour a 13 team premiership.

Not offering stupid extension of contracts of England coaches might help too. Every little helps.

HCWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 02:07:23 PM »
£81m for redeveloping hospitality facilities in the East stand - seriously?!? What is the payback period for that? And surely replacing the roofs hasn’t come as a surprise?

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 02:40:22 PM »
£81m for redeveloping hospitality facilities in the East stand - seriously?!? What is the payback period for that?

2-3 games based on the prices they charge... :D
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2019, 09:07:43 PM »
And there was me thinking the WRU had financial challenges.

W2APS

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2019, 04:18:14 PM »
Redeveloping facilities is a little harsh description, they've more or less doubled the size of the stand. That said nothing is ever plain sailing at HQ. The refurb for the Rwc in 2015 didn't go as well as planned when a block of the corporate boxes got flooded by some bad plumbing after the refit.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2019, 09:29:50 AM »
Redeveloping facilities is a little harsh description, they've more or less doubled the size of the stand. That said nothing is ever plain sailing at HQ. The refurb for the Rwc in 2015 didn't go as well as planned when a block of the corporate boxes got flooded by some bad plumbing after the refit.

I went to the Natwest schools final about 3 yrs ago when the east stand was closed, being re-developed.

That stand was the same size then as it is now. I'm guessing most of the work was inside the belly of the stand or under the stand. There are a lot of hidden bars and conference suites at Twickers which is what they probably added to.

W2APS

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2019, 02:23:22 PM »
They expanded on the East stand on the outside, so it looks no different from inside. They've pretty much filled over the entire concourse up to the boundary fence by the public pavement next to the road. It's looks much better than the old concrete for sure.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2019, 03:13:54 PM »
Nice to see a living green wall there. Not that it'll do much to combat the CO2 generated by the soil heaters, UV lamps, and spewed from the rugby pundits! Should the replacement roofs have solar panels installed? Seems a good opportunity. Maybe a government grant available!