Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wow the A Team  (Read 11520 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Wow the A Team
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2019, 07:19:14 PM »
Dai and Derek, TT, Dan Robson, Jack Willis, Marcus were all reported as being there plus some other 1st teamers and Guy Thompson looking up some old mates!
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Damian68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2019, 07:54:19 PM »
Not only did Sirker add 4 more tries to the 2 he scored against Northampton on Monday his workrate was insane and he could well have scored a good few more coming off his wing if a couple of passes hadn't gone to ground inside him!

His kick chase, aerial work, and all round defence were also difficult to fault. All this on top of speed that must, at the very least, rival Wadey in his heyday!!

He absolutely deserves a place in the starting 23 for Wuss and I don't think the possibility of playing Sirker instead of Watson, even on Watson's (very) recent form, should be discounted.

He is quite simply breathtaking to watch with ball in hand!

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2019, 08:41:06 PM »
That was a weak team Leicester put out especially in the backs with a fair few guests in there but is a real testament to our ruthlessness that we could put them to the sword.
Great signs and more great experience for the likes of Oghre and Cardall to play alongside more experienced players and to have the likes of Porter and Umaga really start running things.
In my mind while searle is out Umaga is second choice 10 and Porter should be pushing Simpson for the 9 shirt.
Neal and Sirker have very good cases to be getting gametime ahead of some of more expensive options that are just not performing.
Even Bassett should be looking over his shoulder now with Sirker.

NellyWellyWasp thanks for the report. Do you have a final assessment on the Anderson at 15 move or do you think he was just filling in until he can get more gametime at 13?
Also how did Kieran Curran get on, big lad in his first year out of school, but did he match up physically?

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2019, 09:33:00 PM »
NellyWellyWasp thanks for the report. Do you have a final assessment on the Anderson at 15 move or do you think he was just filling in until he can get more gametime at 13?
Also how did Kieran Curran get on, big lad in his first year out of school, but did he match up physically?

I think Curran has some time yet to get where he needs to be, but he is young and will improve and grow.

As to Anderson, he made the biggest impact in attack, slotting in all over the place. It left Tigers not knowing what was going to happen next. Defensively, not as good (but not bad either). Rather in the same vein as Daly at 15, but I think, if he wants to pursue that, he can improve. Quite often, when in defensive mode, I noticed Umaga dropping back to cover. Full back is a really hard position to get right.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2019, 10:02:31 PM »
Cheers for that Nelly,
Sounds like it’s done a great deal to build a bit of momentum again at the club. These young guys, especially the likes of spink, Porter, Anderson, Simmonds, Sirker, Barbeary, Atta etc who’ve had a taste of good things at age group level and on the 7s circuit need to know they have a route to the first team.
With a bit more luck with injuries next season I hope we can field as strong an A team and Anglo Welsh team all season so that it benefits the youngsters rather than just throws them to the lions in a team full of guests and U18s.
Onwards and upwards

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2019, 10:36:48 AM »
Does anyone know if the game, or highlights are available online?
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2019, 10:48:55 AM »
Thanks to Nelly - that was really helpful. I also struggle to understand why Mathews doesn't get more selections for the first team squad. I too would like to see Jacob in the first team by the end of the season and glad Booj and Neal got a good fun out and hope they get a look in too.

Made for a more optimistic view of the future!

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2019, 11:54:47 AM »
The club will post the highlights I’m sure tomorrow

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2019, 06:52:46 PM »
Good review on Coventry Live by BB.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2019, 10:35:20 AM »
Did anyone notice what happened to the bench that Tommy Taylor, Marcus Watson, Ben Morris et.al. were sitting on? In all of the on pitch excitement I must have missed something because next time I looked the picture had changed to them all sitting on the grass and what looked like a pile of wood behind them.

Great match, a lot of promising players coming through.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2019, 10:50:34 AM »
Did anyone notice what happened to the bench that Tommy Taylor, Marcus Watson, Ben Morris et.al. were sitting on? In all of the on pitch excitement I must have missed something because next time I looked the picture had changed to them all sitting on the grass and what looked like a pile of wood behind them.

Perhaps Biyi dropped in to watch the game as well  ;D
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Damian68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2019, 01:39:38 PM »

Has anyone seen the match highlights yet?

Damian68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2019, 04:37:01 PM »

Has anyone seen the match highlights yet?
Highlights:

https://twitter.com/WaspsRugby/status/1112730981390266368

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2019, 04:54:39 PM »