Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Bristol  (Read 2227 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Bristol
« on: March 31, 2019, 08:23:38 AM »
Apparently signing Anscombe for £500k per annum. How are they doing this within a cap?
Let me tell you something cucumber

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
Re: Bristol
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 08:40:54 AM »
Good question Neils, perhaps they're expecting to play in the Championship next season where there's no salary cap?

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 12:05:40 PM »
And IF he signs, that means he won’t play for Wales again. Unlikely with the RWC place available for him.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 01:11:14 PM »
It would be after the WC and bluntly how much is a cap worth? If somebody comes along (remember just a rumour) and offers you £500k for three years I think that sways things a tad.
Let me tell you something cucumber

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 02:14:29 PM »
Brizz are owned by the richest man in the EPL I think (now I know where my pension fees are going), so I'm sure he can match whatever Wray can think of to "entice" players to his club... free cider for 3 yrs possibly?

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 03:07:47 PM »
While my theory around Saracens has largely been proved wrong, my post linked below shows how it is possible to fit within the salary cap and still pay a few people £500k plus.

Bristol likely won't have as large a squad as Saracens, and they might have a larger disparity between the top earners and the low/mid earners.

http://onceawasp.com/forums/index.php?topic=765.msg5748#msg5748

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 10:27:59 AM »
Bristol need names having been away from the top table for so long. They signify intent, and will encorage others that they are serious enabling them to attract cheaper promising youngsters.
Anscombe fits the bill, would be close to Wales for training, will treble his salary almost. I suspect he will be picked despite not fulfilling the criteria.