Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Ashley Johnson on bouncing back from drugs ban  (Read 1699 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ashley Johnson on bouncing back from drugs ban
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 02:56:33 PM »
Dai’s an amazing man, a great coach

Yep, definitely lost the dressing room...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 03:24:54 PM »
Great read. Thanks for posting, Fats. I have extracted parts of it to quote seperately which is very complimentary of Dai, Derek and many others.

“It’s a tough old situation. Mental health is something, especially from a rugby player’s point, that is being talked a lot. When you go away from the squad it’s a very lonely place and you have to deal with stuff on your own.

“The RPA [Rugby Players’ Association] was amazing, just to put a hand over my shoulder and make sure I knew what to do if I need to talk to someone. It was just about surrounding yourself with people who know who you are, friends that support you, positive reinforcement all the time. It’s just being around people.

“I wanted to be away from everyone. I wanted to withdraw from the club, withdraw from all the players and they did the opposite. They all came and said, ‘Listen, come to the club whenever you can’. It was just being around the boys away from rugby because I obviously wasn’t allowed to be at the club for rugby.

“They said, ‘Listen, we can still go for a beer, you’re still part of this club, still one of our mates’. The boys were brilliant. They supported me so much. Even just a little text, a little hand on the shoulder.

“Then when I came back I wanted to do it for them. I wanted to be in a really good place where I could contribute and show them the same love and faith they showed me when I went through that difficult period.”

“I want to do so much for this club. I owe so much to Dai (Young), owe so much to the boys who supported me during that difficult period. All I want to do is contribute in any way. Dai’s an amazing man, a great coach, but first and foremost he’s a guy that looks after the people off the field. He’s one of those coaches that wants to make sure that life off the field is good.

“His wife April is also amazing, just making sure my missus was handling the situation really well. He was really supportive, always trying to put a humorous spin on everything. It was great to have him in my corner. I would really go to the end of the world for him and do anything he asks because of the faith he has shown.

“I’m quite a loyal person. A lot of rugby players and clubs, it’s not about loyalty, but Wasps have been so loyal towards me, especially during that difficult period, that the least I could do when they offered a contract extension was to sign.

“It would have been so easy to say, “Listen, I will go somewhere else”. But the club is amazing towards me. Since I came, Dai has been awesome and that trust is something you can’t get overnight. They trust me and I trust them. Not only Dai, but Derek (Richardson, the owner) and everyone at the club.”

Should be prescribed reading on DW site. Toxic environment - obviously. A coach who is aloof, doesn't care and has lost the dressing room - yeah sure.

You beat me to it, VV.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 03:58:45 PM »
Even if it is prescribed, you need to be careful to read your copy and not your partner's... ::)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 04:27:37 PM »
Even if it is prescribed, you need to be careful to read your copy and not your partner's... ::)

Too soon man, too soon... :D
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here