Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Antonio TJ Harris is off  (Read 5675 times)

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Antonio TJ Harris is off
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2019, 02:37:14 PM »
you say that but didn't Symons sign for Quins while injured and didn't play at all that season?

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2019, 03:41:16 PM »
You may be right there Paul.

Here's hoping Reider doesn't have too many suitors as I would love to keep hold of him. Definitely been one of the championship player success stories in recent seasons.

I can't see us allowing both Myall and Garratt to leave this summer as we haven't signed a second row to my knowledge and don't have a ready made replacement from the academy that can play chunks of next season in the GP (perhaps just too soon for Cardall to step up to 10-15 GP appearances next season).

Marlovian

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2019, 04:07:52 PM »
Slightly off topic but I wonder how much championship clubs, who aren't flush with money, manage with away games in Jersey. Presumably flights and overnight stays can't be cheap for a whole squad and coaching staff

I believe the RFU chip in with expenses. Certainly when my local clubs Ladies team were in the same league as Guernsey, their traveling expenses were paid, don't think it was 100%. Otherwise, no one would ever play there!
I'm also fairly certain that Channel Island teams expenses for their away trips are similarly subsidised.

Yes I think that is the case for the national leagues both for visitors to the Channel Islands and for the Channel Island teams themselves. I'm not sure about the championship though. I toured with my son (U14s) to Jersey at the end of the season in which Jersey were promoted to the Championship and they were mighty concerned about the travelling costs (I believe they were seeking major sponsorship). Excellent place to tour by the way...

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2019, 04:42:17 PM »

I can't see us allowing both Myall and Garratt to leave this summer as we haven't signed a second row to my knowledge and don't have a ready made replacement from the academy that can play chunks of next season in the GP (perhaps just too soon for Cardall to step up to 10-15 GP appearances next season).

No offence meant to Garratt but it would not take much to step into his shoes as he has hardly played in three years. Myall is getting older but is a canny operator and is still our quickest lock although not a massive carrier.
I think we drastically need another first choice lock to cover for Launchbury and compete with Gaskell for a start. Rowlands and then Matthews cover them with Cardall getting as much gametime as possible.

I can see Myall leaving but as Garratt is still quite young I can imagine if we get him on similar money to what he is on now he still has time to fulfill his promise.
There have been no rumours of us signing a lock though which is unfortunate and can see us not recruiting there at all this summer.

maire23

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2019, 03:20:57 PM »
I have to confess when I saw the headline on Facebook ‘Wasps front row signs for Championship club’ I half hoped it would be Tom West back to Nottingham... ;)
Now that Thornton has gone I suspect he might stay but I really hope he gets some more chances next season.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 09:33:15 AM »
West hasn't let Wasps down when he has featured so I hope he gets more game time but I suspect his game time will again depend on the injury status of the squad.

I hope we have better luck next season (with injuries) and throw a bit more weight at the Premiership Cup (A league games)