Always a Wasp

Author Topic: 2 Year Extension at Broadstreet  (Read 2218 times)

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
2 Year Extension at Broadstreet
« on: April 04, 2019, 11:47:23 AM »
I see from DW that we have applied to extend our stay at Broadstreet for another 24 months, while the new training facility is being completed.

Extract from Applications (I can't post the link).
"Wasps Rugby Club have identified a location in Leamington Spa for a permanent new home as their training centre. Work has commenced on preparing the
planning application which is expected to be submitted later this year. Pre application meetings have also been held with Warwick District Council. With a
construction period of 10 months this will mean that Wasps would request an amendment of the condition to allow Wasps to remain in the current facilities
whilst the new facilities are being developed."
"To extend the condition by 24 months (time period has contingency within to allow for any unknown delays to the construction project) to October 2021. The
condition should also be amended to the timing of when details are required for the restoration of the land when Wasps have relocated
."

One informed poster seems to think with everything factored in, we would expect to be moving in summer of 2021.

I don't buy the 'poor training facilties' accusations being thrown around in the media this season. However, I hope another 2 years at Broadstreet doesn't test the resolve of some of the players when other clubs can offer better. Either way, we seem to finally have a confirmed site, a plan and a target date! Pleased to see progress with it.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Year Extension at Broadstreet
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 11:57:02 AM »
I don't buy the 'poor training facilties' accusations being thrown around in the media this season. However, I hope another 2 years at Broadstreet doesn't test the resolve of some of the players when other clubs can offer better. Either way, we seem to finally have a confirmed site, a plan and a target date! Pleased to see progress with it.

I don't buy into it either but I'd be hoping is that players can see that progress is being made in a positive way as we will be rid of those players who are disillusioned by the club's direction (ED).

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 12:08:58 PM »
Yes, I did make a comment on how long each stage of the process can take. Two years from acquiring the right to build on a piece of land to being done is fast. It is why building firms are so frustrated with the UK planning process and with ministers who issues bland 'We will build xxx homes this year' type of statements. That move in of Summer 2021 is only feasible if we are not forced into a (long) public enquiry.

It is why, looking at the CCFC situation, any talk of a new stadium could not contemplate being ready, even if the process started now (and it hasn't been), before the start of the 2023 season, leaving CCFC homeless for four years. Throw in vociferous and determined opposition from locals, and add a few more years to that. Talk of a new stadium for CCFC is, therefore, simply pie in the sky. Spurs took ages to get permission to build their new stadium, and still it opened, what, 8 months late?

Wasps, in applying for JUST a two year extension, are leaving very little wriggle room, but publicly, to even ask for so long an extension was likely to cause some sad faces at the delay. How much worse if they were more realistic and asked for three years? Could it be ready by Summer 2020? Yes. But there would have to be no delays, a very quick environmental report completion, fast turnaround with the planning at the council, and super fast building works. Possible, but unlikely.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 12:10:25 PM »
I guess they figure if it's not done, it'll hopefully be so close to being finished an extra year won't be a problem.

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 12:20:43 PM »
It was a genuine comment from me Nelly, nothing tongue in cheek by saying 'informed'. I'm genuinely interested in your take on it and details behind the 2 year time line.

Would there be scope to fast track things through Warwick Council, with it perhaps being a high profile project? Both parties could publicise it... Wasps saying we have a new state of the art training facility... Warwick Council saying they have a premiership rugby team putting their roots down in the area?

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 12:23:27 PM »
The construction phase of the project should, in principle, be fairly simple. I'd expect it to be a D&B job which a contractor can throw up fairly quickly. Like NWW has already pointed on, it will be the exercises prior to construction that will take time especially if something crops up that needs to be addressed before the all clear (e.g. bird nests).

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 12:45:34 PM »
I'm reliably informed that the rumours about the training facilities started at the same time a certain media hungry ex player was told his contract wasn't going to be renewed.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 01:20:29 PM »
It was a genuine comment from me Nelly, nothing tongue in cheek by saying 'informed'. I'm genuinely interested in your take on it and details behind the 2 year time line.

Would there be scope to fast track things through Warwick Council, with it perhaps being a high profile project? Both parties could publicise it... Wasps saying we have a new state of the art training facility... Warwick Council saying they have a premiership rugby team putting their roots down in the area?

I understood that, that's OK.

WDC could greatly assist with the process yes. Given that there a number of well-connected members of OL's, it would not surprise me in the least that the actual planning process, and then the numerous on-site inspections, went quickly rather than slowly. This is a major inward investment into the area that genuinely benefits residents and their families.