Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Interesting Opinion  (Read 2359 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Interesting Opinion
« on: April 10, 2019, 11:43:48 AM »
Saw this and thought it might be of interest - covers Rugby and Football (Scottish perspective) -

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/celtic/aidan-smith-rugby-needs-to-stop-copying-football-s-excesses-1-4903165
Let me tell you something cucumber

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Opinion
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 12:26:01 PM »
Some fans are justifying Beirne's actions and I'm sure those same people would be up in arms if the roles were reversed and it was an Edinburgh player who had done that.
Personally, I wouldn't want to be seeing this as a recurring theme, foul play or no foul play. We should be leaving the officials to do their job (which is a different debate in itself) and accept that some things are missed - rugby can be a complex sport to officiate and follow.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 12:47:59 PM »
And never forget the infamous Hand of Back which of course was against Munster.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 12:56:08 PM »
You are showing your age Rossm. I was in the crowd but didn’t notice anything until I saw the TV replay.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 01:01:04 PM »
You are showing your age Rossm. I was in the crowd but didn’t notice anything until I saw the TV replay.

Don't be too bothered, welsh wasp. The ref didn't notice anything either  ;)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 01:34:35 PM »
It’s difficult. It’s a ‘win at all costs’ culture that stems out of professional sport. If simulation or dark arts gets you the win, your team, management and owners will praise it.

All that can prevent it is strict policing by the referees and lawmakers but I don’t see them being bold enough.

Football has put in bans for ‘successfully deceiving the referee’ in penalty occasions and being fair, it has stopped diving to win penalties (it’s a 3 match ban).

Can’t see rugby being able to do this though as there’s so much going on at each breakdown that breaks laws ( watch what happened to Lima at the breakdown preceding Watson’s try v Worcs)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 01:37:52 PM »
it's obviously a high profile incident, but is it that new?

When I started playing, I remember my captain telling me to stay down for a little while.
I was at the bottom of a ruck, we were defending our line, and the opposition were just awarded a penalty which they were going to kick to the corner.
Admittedly, the idea of staying down a little longer wasn't to get the decision reversed, but to buy our side a few seconds to get our breaths back and defend again.
I did similar, many times - although more often with the shoelace that constantly needed to tying. (you can't have a scrummage if your prop is tying his bootlaces)

I feel that my scenarios are probably a bit of gamesmanship, but not cheating. It's more game management than breaking the laws. Is it really a huge leap from what I was doing 20 years ago, and which has been going on forever to what Beirne did?

Personally, I feel that he has overstepped a mark.... but it's a mark that is definitely getting feinter as the years go on

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 01:38:42 PM »
I must concede, I do have a little bit of admiration for those who practice the dark arts because it can be quite clever and swing the momentum back into your favour. "Niggle" I think they call it now.
Blatant cheating, like Beirne's dive, I do not like.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 02:10:24 PM »
If you want to learn about cheating (in golf) at the highest level, I can recommend reading Rick Reilly - Commander in Cheat- How Golf Explains Trump.

Can't say I understand golf but it's a hoot.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 02:14:25 PM »
Sexton is another one who over steps the boundary a number times (per match some would say). He is frequently nudged/in contact and strangely as he falls his face is facing the ref screaming and his arms are held out wide pleading. This is way beyond the pale.
Also don't like seeing the huge shoulder pads he wears more akin to NFL gear.
Let me tell you something cucumber