Always a Wasp

Author Topic: And So On To Worcester at Home  (Read 12116 times)

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
Re: And So On To Worcester at Home
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2019, 06:15:46 PM »
Rob's on my bench as well.

Yea and mine, we're all nobodies  :o

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2019, 06:40:56 PM »
Umaga can cover 15 as well but he should cover 10...

JdJ at 12, at 13 I would play ED, and the moment ED starts to sulk or gets us marched back, haul him off...Gaby on the bench.

I am bit torn as Rob Miller has covered 10 well, and 15 when needed, his kicking has been first rate but against Heem and Adams I would be loathe to play the kicking game too much as they love running on to teams and are hard to manage when they get their heads up.

Neal also offers options from the bench can cover 14 and 12 or 13.
It was fine when I left it.....

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2019, 06:47:01 PM »
If we win we should be safe...for me that's when Jacob gets a sniff at some game/bench time

I'm honestly torn on if I want Sops to start or not.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2019, 07:16:49 PM »
None of our 10s have managed to completely claim the starting shirt.  Miller's kicking has been great, but he's struggled a little when under pressure.  Umaga clearly has some real skill, but I think starting him in what could essentially be our relegation decider is a little too high pressure.  Lima has had some moments of brilliance interspersed among the average performances, but there is one thing we can say about him is that he tends to rise to the occaission.  He's closed out international games when he had no right to.  Whatever else, he isn't going to let the pressure get to him so for me he starts.  A few weeks off might be exactly what he needed to reset...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Jac A

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2019, 08:47:34 PM »
Defiantly Lima to start for me, with Rob on the bench.

There's another A team game on Monday and I'd want Jacob starting in that to get some more game time rather than being sat on the bench.

Hopefully we win on Sat and can all but forget relegation and the A team get another good win and have plenty of confidence for players like Umaga and SIrkir to get some minutes off the bench in the last few games.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2019, 08:56:44 PM »

Assuming Lima is selected, I think we'll see Miller, but I don't think we'll see Umaga.

The problem with having Miller and Umaga on the bench is the cover for the centres.
I know Jacob covers 12 as well, but it's one thing having him on the bench to cover 10, which is presumably his primary position.
It's a whole different thing having him cover 10 and 12 from the bench.

For that reason only, I'm gonna assume a bench of Miller and JdJ.

I'd love to be wrong though and see what Jacob can do in the prem

Why? JdJ for me is our best centre and offers far more than Gaby (or Elliot).

I don't think I was concentrating when I posted that.

I meant MlB and Miller on the bench.
I'm assuming that it'll be JdJ and Daly starting in the centres

Fats

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2019, 09:07:55 AM »
Defiantly Lima to start for me

Feel that strongly 😛

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2019, 09:19:07 AM »
Defiantly Lima to start for me, with Rob on the bench.

There's another A team game on Monday and I'd want Jacob starting in that to get some more game time rather than being sat on the bench.

Hopefully we win on Sat and can all but forget relegation and the A team get another good win and have plenty of confidence for players like Umaga and SIrkir to get some minutes off the bench in the last few games.

Totally agree with this Jac. Once my excitement for Umaga was tempered with the reality of this game and how important it is, I realise that this week isn't the week to roll the dice.

3 more hours and we'll know... But I think Dai will go safe and rely on the experience (rather than form) of the international players.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2019, 09:54:35 AM »
These threads are alway a mix of who we'd like to see picked v who we think Dai will pick.

Dai normally brings players returning from injury on from the bench, which makes a lot of sense.

Miller has not been struggling at 10, but to my eye the back line has been missing a playmaker in the centre, leading to WLR trying too hard to compensate, or left with nowhere to go/no time to move as he is targeted.

I don't think the gravity of this game should alter the normal approach of bringing on returnees from the bench. Perhaps the decision is affectected by the players involved and the position though.

I am not sure Sopps played so much better than Miller at 10 that would negate the risk of changing playmakers again. To my eye, Sopps stands deeper, runs into contact more and pulls back more so quite a different style to Miller who seems to play flatter. Surely adjusting to style again brings a risk.

Anyway, 2hrs till we know now!

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2019, 11:33:12 AM »
It is all OK, according to the official site:
"It’s yet another big Gallagher Premiership clash as Wasps look to fight for their place in the top half of the table while Worcester try to avoid the dreaded drop in Round 18."
So we're safe.