Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Marcus in Today's Telegraph - Details of his Injury Struggles.  (Read 1773 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile

Marcus Watson has set his sights on scoring the tries to help Wasps claim a top-six Premiership place having finally overcome the tendinitis which has plagued his time at the club.

The Great Britain sevens silver medallist at the Rio Olympics in 2016 was able to stretch his legs for once and torment the Worcester defence in his side’s crucial victory on Saturday.

It was a rare opportunity to show his full talent since joining from Newcastle in 2017, having endured pain and agony when attempting to hit top gear. Now, having grabbed one of the tries in a bonus-point victory which eased Wasps’ relegation concerns, Watson believes he can fulfil the potential Wasps still see in the player who recently signed an extension to his contract.

Watson, 27, said: “I’ve had pretty bad Achilles tendinitis for a long time and struggled to sprint. And if I can’t sprint or sidestep, my game is a struggle. I still have it a little bit, and I wake up stiff, but all that matters is I can play normally again.

“It’s been disappointing not to be able to show people what I can do, and also why the club signed me. I’ve not gone home afterwards thinking I played really well, and that was partly down to injuries because I couldn’t run properly. Now I’m feeling pretty good and getting the respect from my team-mates.”

Watson dismisses suggestions he could try his hand at sevens again and push for a place at Tokyo 2020. Having lost Christian Wade to the NFL at the start of the season, Wasps would certainly benefit in the remaining four league games from having him fill that role of explosive finisher. England No 8 ­Nathan Hughes provided that explosion against Worcester with two tries, and is clearly determined to help the club clinch a Champions Cup place before departing to ­Bristol Bears.

Wasps’ next two tests do not come any tougher, at Exeter Chiefs and then at home to Saracens, and Watson insisted: “Top six has to be our goal now and the Premiership is so tight that, if results go our way, top four could still be a possibility.”

Worcester, who remain three points above bottom side Newcastle, face a precarious final few weeks of the season.

Alan Solomons, director of rugby, insisted: “I am still optimistic we will be OK, but we have to stop starting games slowly, as we did here, because we make life much tougher for ourselves.”

Sounds as if he's had a tough time. No wonder he looked poor. And credit to Wasps and Dai for sticking with him and re-signing him.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Marcus in Today's Telegraph - Details of his Injury Struggles.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 09:07:33 AM »
It is a shame that we were not privy to this, as I am sure that his past critics (including me) would have had a different view. I hope that his road to recovery has been with 100% help from Wasps. I do wonder who decides to reveal (or not) what injury issues players are facing? Whilst appreciating that they are entitled to a private life, they are nonetheless in the public eye. Interesting to note that he says he is not still not fully recovered, so I hope he is not further injuring himself by playing.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 09:59:06 AM »
Being an Arsenal fan, our captain Koscielny has had Achilles tendinitis for the past few years and only really complains that it limits how often he can play. Once a week is okay but he can not cope with playing midweek and weekend games in the same week.

Hopefully as rugby is only a once a week game, Marcus shouldn’t have too many issues if he struggles with it in the same way

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 10:04:00 AM »
Well he did seem to be on the sick list a lot and, as an ex sevens player, I think people concluded he was too fragile to play 15s. Of course not knowing the full details of his injury, people jumped to the wrong conclusion. I have always been a fan of Marcus though I admit to getting a bit frustrated latterly.

He has looked a different player recently and know we know why. He really is playing with a smile on his face and is clearly enjoying his rugby again. Some cynics suggested that Marcus was only bucking his ideas up to get another contract. I thought it was very cruel and thoughtless for some to say that. 4 tries in 4 games, including his 70 metre score at Leicester which won the Try of the Week, Round 15.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 10:57:16 AM »
There was an article in one of the newspapers about his brother, Anthony, and his injury woes. A photo of his achilles looks horrendous. The scar tissue looks like a piece of pork rind welded onto the back of his heel.

Apparently he ruptured it for a 2nd time doing a photoshoot for a NFL game taking place in the UK.

Obviously players shouldn't wrap themselves up in cotton wool but I wonder if clubs advise players to avoid activities (away from rugby) that might cause long term injuries (skiing, riding motorbikes etc)

I know Jimmy and Willie enjoy their golf so they should be pretty well safe.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 11:59:45 AM »
Phil Edmonds once cost himself an England place, putting his back out, getting out of his car at Lords.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!