Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Hampson to Ealing  (Read 3257 times)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Hampson to Ealing
« on: April 09, 2019, 02:54:16 PM »
On Wasps official Instagram, I assume Porter will step up?
It was fine when I left it.....

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Hampson to Ealing
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 04:23:41 PM »
The other rumour was Will Homer from Jersey (previously of LI and Bath, brother of Tom)

Porter is definitely ready to step up, problem is we need 4 SHs to cover all competitions, especially if Robson has injury concerns or is away with England.
There is not a younger academy product coming through below Porter as yet and with Vellacott still quite inexperienced it could be a great battle having Porter, Vellacott and Homer fighting it out and being rotated across all of the competitions for second choice.

Porter is definitely highly regarded as has been given the captaincy in the AWC despite being younger than most at the time. Homer is arguably more experienced than Porter, so it could be an exciting time for young scrum halves at wasps (if Homer signs)

If they all stay fit however Dai has a job on his hands (as in other key positions) at keeping everyone happy and on a steady development path with the amount of gametime they get.

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 04:39:13 PM »
I think we've seen in recent weeks what a benefit the A League can be if we have a squad of 'wasps' players to choose from. So i completely get your point on requiring 4 SH's.

We've had 4 this season in Robson, Simpson, Hampson, Porter and still be close to being short at times. So am the same as you and expect a SH signing to replace Hampson as well as Porter stepping up. It could come in the form of a youngster signing an academy contract to back fill Porter in the Snr Academy... kind of like when we signed Oghre from Bath to our academy. I see too that Cardall was in the Saints academy and then appeared to be released while playing at uni in Nottingham. That would give us the 4 SH and not directly risk Porters development.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 05:12:37 PM »
As with all previous signings, Dai waits until the 'leaver' has actually signed, and then announces the new signing, so expect to see Homer announcement in the next few days. Also, we must be close now to the point when Dai said he could announce (maybe) coaching team news. Maybe in a week or so?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 05:15:48 PM »
If Dan doesn't get well then we are left with Vellacott as No 1 with Porter as back up so we are short. The club will be getting a good medical steer and will know if they have to go into the market again. As this happened on England duty I would suspect we have a case against the RFU if it comes to the worst.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 05:26:45 PM »
If Dan doesn't get well then we are left with Vellacott as No 1 with Porter as back up so we are short. The club will be getting a good medical steer and will know if they have to go into the market again. As this happened on England duty I would suspect we have a case against the RFU if it comes to the worst.

I'm not a doctor but I suspect it will be too early for a firm prognosis yet. I'm not so sure that we would have a case against the RFU. This is not an injury but a serious medical condition which happened to manifest itself when he was with England.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 05:57:37 PM »

I'm not a doctor but I suspect it will be too early for a firm prognosis yet. I'm not so sure that we would have a case against the RFU. This is not an injury but a serious medical condition which happened to manifest itself when he was with England.

Sitting on the bench   :)
Let me tell you something cucumber

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 06:37:22 PM »
Also, we must be close now to the point when Dai said he could announce (maybe) coaching team news. Maybe in a week or so?

There have been unavoidable delays. Keep the faith!
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 06:38:55 PM »

I think if Dobby is invalided off we might see some changes in what were expecting for next year.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 10:08:22 PM »
I thought DVT was caused by injuries, in my case a broken ankle. But I guess we’ll hear about Dan is when it’s right to make an announcement.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 10:36:57 PM »
I thought DVT was caused by injuries, in my case a broken ankle. But I guess we’ll hear about Dan is when it’s right to make an announcement.

Fairly sure they stated there was no injury. Which is why it's mysterious as to just what the hell is going on.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2019, 11:02:20 PM »

Fairly sure they stated there was no injury. Which is why it's mysterious as to just what the hell is going on.

I had 2 unexplained ones, which is why I am on Warfarin forever and a day.

They are often caused by periods of inactivity (e.g. long haul flights)

In Dan's case it was probably inactivity caused by sitting on the England bench that caused the problem.