Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps A tonight at Sixways  (Read 6890 times)

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps A tonight at Sixways
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2019, 11:14:04 AM »
Wade went over 11 m/s

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/christian-wades-top-speed-leaves-irish-hopefuls-dust-147787

The really, really quick guys would be getting 10.5 or 10.6 while Christian is regularly getting 11 and sometimes hitting 11.1 and 11.2

That's interesting as Wade himself has said that Carlin Isles (USA 7s & Olympic qualified sprinter) is the fastest rugby player in the world - Isles appears in the video link I originally posted of the top 4 fastest players at this years' Hong Kong leg of the HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series.

Here's the article where Wade talks about this subject:

https://www.rugbyworld.com/countries/rest-of-the-world/wadeys-fastest-men-rugby-36213

I'd expect someone who was first a sprinter to be the fastest. The ones who Wade quotes are all excellent wingers, Varndell was decently quick too, that season they scored loads was fun. Wade stopped doing "straight" athletics as a junior - decent junior times - the GPS numbers for him quoted are very good indeed and I think we'd all agree, someone we'd prefer to be playing for our team! The key, apparently to a good 100m time, which I suppose is less important than acceleration for rugby? is that the winner loses least speed after 60m or so?

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps A tonight at Sixways
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2019, 12:18:38 PM »
Think it’s been said that Sirker has still been adapting to the 15s game which would make sense considering the A league had a break where he could work on his game before coming back with a bang for this block.

Think there’s also something to be said about the way the team are playing- they’re putting players into space and Umaga is central to that.

Lastly there’s a good balance of players, half academy, half senior players needing game time and no guests. Shows some sort of collective and continuity that can’t be underestimated.