Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Exeter game (Spoilers within)  (Read 13826 times)

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Exeter game (Spoilers within)
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2019, 08:51:09 AM »
I do think offside and fwd passes bug crowds a lot too

IMHO I think those two things alone cause the most clashes between fans.

Aren't they more the responsibility of the assistant referees ( I still think of them as touch judges) than the ref himself?
Yes I think so

More often than  not the ref is facing the ruck with his back facing the backline so generally its the touch judge that is the only option but they seem very reluctant to give offsides.

I think they get duped into believing a backline is fine as long as they are all in a straightline when they start to move. I've noticed the backline takes their poistion from the 1st defender standing at the side of the ruck.. but quite often that player isn't behind the rear most point at the ruck anyway.

Its such a basic law to enforce but not doing so can often strangle the game

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2019, 11:49:12 AM »

Exactly & rather than enforce the existing laws World Rugby seem obsessed with fiddling with the game.
Its the same with rucks, enforce the current laws properly & consistently before changing them.
It might be a good idea to speak to current players about whats wrong with the game as well, after all they are playing it every week!

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2019, 11:51:03 AM »

Exactly & rather than enforce the existing laws World Rugby seem obsessed with fiddling with the game.
Its the same with rucks, enforce the current laws properly & consistently before changing them.
It might be a good idea to speak to current players about whats wrong with the game as well, after all they are playing it every week!

I am assuming some of these law changes are to pander to an American audience.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2019, 12:05:00 PM »
I do think offside and fwd passes bug crowds a lot too

IMHO I think those two things alone cause the most clashes between fans.

Aren't they more the responsibility of the assistant referees ( I still think of them as touch judges) than the ref himself?

I was kinda referring to the reffing team, but yes - and just looking on TV, offside is so rarely called.

But my main bugbears are at the breakdown - looking at a lot of SH rugby - its almost like a different game at times.

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2019, 12:12:28 PM »
I have to admit, I think we manged the clock very 'effectively' in the last stages of the game. I can sympathise with Chiefs fans on this matter, as I too would have been enraged by it if it were happening to us. However, I think all teams do this and it should fall at the feet of the ref to sort. I think Healey pointed out at one stage that we used up 90 secs just to reset a scrum... well then the refs need to get coy to it and speed up the process (without jeopardising safety) or give free kicks against teams for not resetting in a certain time frame.

But as others have said (as well as Healey), I think Exeter got away with a few things in the game so can't feel too aggrieved.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2019, 12:14:50 PM »
I've just watched the game again with the benefit of hindsight - 1st half last night and 2nd this morning. I must admit Exe did not look anything special, excluding the first 30 mins. After that our defence was formidable and never seemed to tire. It was like looking at the Wasps of old. We ended up making twice as many tackles as Exe. Chiefs definitely missed Cordero's rapier like attacks after he went off quite early. Interestingly there were no penalty kicks at goal by either side. It wasn't until the 67th minute that Exe first had a go at mauling it over from a lineout. We were penalised at the first one for going in early but we were already driving the Chiefs hard towards the touchline. before the ref blew up. They had another go after the penalty. Once again we drove it hard towards the touchline and they had to release the ball and play it. They eventually scored after a long series of pick and goes. They had another 5 metre lineout in the 76th minute and once again we nullified it by driving it very hard to the touchline. It was clear that we had thought long and hard and have practiced how to beat what has been up to now a major point gatherer for Chiefs. That was three 5 metre lineouts which they tried to drive over and got nowhere. Exe have Quins at Sandy Park next game. It will be interesting to see how their trademark ploy gets on then. It was obvious how we were defeating it and Baxter will already be making plans to tweak it. I can't see Quins getting much if anything from that game.

I thought Pearce had a pretty good game though I thought his decision to penalise Nathan for a no arms tackle late in the game was wrong as did the commentators. I don't want to single out any of our players - all played their part in a fantastic win which nobody saw coming. This was the first defeat at home for Chiefs in the league in over a year.

We have been criticised on the Chiefs board for dirty play. Can't say I saw any by either side. We also have come into a bit of flak for time wasting but one Chiefs' poster said that the way to nullify that is by being ahead on the board. Very true.

10 points from 2 games - one against the runaway league leaders at their home ground. 8 tries to four. It was a very hard game for both sides. Hope all our knocks clear up in the week off. The estate agents have a tough one on Saturday and then we play them at the Ricoh the following weekend. Can't wait. Bring it on.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!