Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Additions to Squad  (Read 10027 times)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Additions to Squad
« on: April 18, 2019, 09:49:17 AM »
Do we think that some of the rumoured signings will be more likely now the spectre of relegation has passed. Part of me thinks that they may be waiting to see where Wasps finish and which European competition we will play in. The two I am thinking of are Dillyn Leyds and Waisake Naholo, everything appears quiet with them.

Something else that also caught my eye were the players released by Saints yesterday, https://www.rugbypass.com/news/tongan-international-nafi-tuitavake-one-of-two-players-released-by-northampton/. I was slightly surprised by Kellaway as he has looked decent, however they are probably juggling cap quotas ahead of next season.

It was fine when I left it.....

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Additions to Squad
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 09:56:56 AM »
Given some of the comments from overseas players who have come into the prem a lot of them don't seem to know much about European rugby, so I doubt most would care that much which Euro comp Wasps are in. Not wanting to sign for a relegated club though I can understand.

Interesting that, according to Instagram, Fekitoa has been visiting the Sopoaga household this week, nice to see him getting an early view of his future surroundings.

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 10:03:01 AM »
I did think that, as most SH players by their own admission admit to knowing very little about NH rugby and the respective competitions. 

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 10:10:44 AM »
Interesting to see that everyone seems to be juggling the cap requirements (except Sarries obviously).
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 10:26:53 AM »
Sarries are too busy sourcing property to worry about the nuances of juggling the salary cap.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 10:42:58 AM »
Given the form of Marcus and the reviews from the A games as well as England age group games I would love to see some progression through the ranks if players are ready as it would be great for recruitment and salary cap.

My biggest worry is if with the current signings, progression and returning from injury players are we able to replace the pace and distribution of Daly and WLR?

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 11:08:31 AM »
Given the form of Marcus and the reviews from the A games as well as England age group games I would love to see some progression through the ranks if players are ready as it would be great for recruitment and salary cap.

My biggest worry is if with the current signings, progression and returning from injury players are we able to replace the pace and distribution of Daly and WLR?

I think Minozzi will replace WLR just fine, he has played at fly half but also has the pace and agility close to Wade. Whether we get Leyds as well to add further pace and fly half level distribution at 15 then I think we’ll be okay.

I wouldn’t mind us getting another distributing 12 though. I feel that Neal and Booj can do a good job at trucking it up but someone on Gopperths level (or close to) would be much appreciated (Matevesi or Williams would be my picks if Newcastle go down)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 11:39:35 AM »

Marcus Watson shows the small margins between being very good and very poor.

He's obviously performing really well for us at the moment, but most were calling for him to be released just a couple of months ago.

There's a very small gap between being a good club player and a poor one which is why it's very difficult to know when to promote academy players.
It's very easy to look very poor in this league.

That being said, fans and critics often focus on positive passages of play if a player comes through the academy, but are more likely to focus on the poor passages of play if a player is signed from another club.
That should give academy guys extra grace from us...... But they still need to have the right level of skill to get the grace from Dai

WallyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 10:48:29 AM »
So, do we think that is it then? Or will we announce further signings in the coming few weeks? As mentioned earlier it's gone a bit quiet on the rumour front (no bad thing) especially concerning the likes of Naholo (who at one point was linked to Irish I'm sure!). Where do people think we still need to strengthen? For me it's mainly the back line. Just a couple more players to build things a bit more securely...

Thoughts?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 10:51:41 AM »
Think there is more to come but at what level?
Let me tell you something cucumber

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 10:57:55 AM »
I don't think anything has been announced regarding Gaby so despite Gopps hopefully returning I think we're a bit short in the centres possibly but Dai might be expecting Booj and Neale to become more prominent?

Possibly at 9 as well depending on how Dan's illness clears up. Vellacot is replacing Simpson and hopefully Porter will fill Hampson's  boots.. so its just a question mark over Robson's health.

I don't think we'll see any big name signings now. Perhaps a few young Championship players to bolster the Academy.. and a perhaps a few of the academy guys to be promoted (Sirker?)

Nopace

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 11:10:19 AM »
I thought Irish were moving for Naholo as they have quite a bit of wedge to spend.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2019, 11:36:43 AM »
The "wedge" is the CVC money which was supposed to be spent on Infrastucture and development.
Let me tell you something cucumber

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 11:44:58 AM »
The "wedge" is the CVC money which was supposed to be spent on Infrastucture and development.

But like other clubs (well most) they are still restricted to the Salary cap plus 2 marquees (I think that should be reduced back to 1).

S O'Brien and P Jackson were also linked to them.

Regarding the CVC money - does anyone know if any of it has been paid yet (I'm guessing it will be paid in installments).

The clubs are being allowed to invest up to £1.5m in TopCo which is the company that CVC have set up to run their share of the PRL ..

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2019, 11:58:37 AM »
I think the backline is fine on paper.  Booj showed some good touches early in the season, as well as his obvious inexperience at this level.  In many ways, he reminds of Mark Atkinson who wasn’t dreadful during his time with us, largely I suspect due to trying to be a 10 and also lack of consistency in gametime.

He now looks like a very good 12.

In my opinion, what we’ve learnt about our squad is that with a run of games/consistency of selection, we’re a pretty good team.