Always a Wasp

Author Topic: CVC Building Up  (Read 1897 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: CVC Building Up
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 01:52:11 AM »
Worrying, in a word.

These guys have all the characteristics of nefarious and unscrupulous land/industrial owners in a Dickens novel. They will exploit and be damned.
We would be better off without them, I feel. The spoon we sup with needs to be a lot, lot longer.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 07:58:30 AM »
I don't know how this is going to play out, or even whether it will be positive or not, but one thing is sure, the times they are a changing...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47977821
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 09:06:26 AM »
A Pro 14/EPL play-off might mirror the games taking place in the latter stages of the European Cup, just without the French clubs. There's also the problem of the conjested season. CVC are positoning themselves to be able to wield significant power in NH rugby if they are successfull in buying a share of the six nations as well.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 07:11:25 PM »
It's a shame CVC's profit making strategy just boils down to "play a couple more games a year at Twickenham and hope for sell outs".

I was hoping for something a bit more nuanced.

The game needs to move away from relying on a few blockbuster games for half its funding.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 08:36:55 PM »
I read an article (I think in the Independent) explaining that the current PRL boss is leaving to join CVC (so bascally CVC are mirroring what they did in  F1 where they hired Bernie Ecclestone to run it for them meaning they didn't have to get involved but just sat back and counted the money comng.)

The new PRL boss heads a TV company (UK TV) which shows where PRL's priorities lies for developing the game.

Amusingly the article revealed PRL had hoped by this stage that av match attendances would be matching Championship football attendances. i.e. 20k. I can help feel they've missed an important flaw in this plan