Always a Wasp

Author Topic: European Champions Cup Qualification.  (Read 2987 times)

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
European Champions Cup Qualification.
« on: May 03, 2019, 11:24:18 PM »
Looking at the intricacies of the league this year and European cup qualification for next year to secure top six we simply have to beat Bath on Sunday.
The money involved playing in this competition is completely necessary for us as a club at the moment, (although often teams playing a season in the challenge cup often have a chance to play the youngsters more and often have better league form that year.)

Saints should win tomorrow which puts the top 5 on 55 points or above so if we lose but pick up 2 bps against Bath the top 5 will still be out of reach.
Therefore it becomes a straight shoot out between us and Sale in the final round for 6th.
They have Glaws at home, who would have already sewn up an away semi and might rest a few or not need the result aside form it giving them momentum. We of course have Quins at home.

However, there is also the back door of the European Cup’s 20th team.... and apologies if you know this already.
which goes to a variety of winning and losing European final stagers if they have not qualified for the Cup already.
So we need the loser of Clermont La Rochelle to finish in the top 14 top 6, La Rochelle are currently 6th and should have enough to stay there.
Next comes losing challenge cup semi finalists if they are not qualified which would leave Sale (so Sale can potentially qualify for the Champions Cup where ever they finish)
If Sale finish 6th then the 20th side that qualifies is the highest placed non qualified finisher in the league of the champions cup final winner this year, Sarries or Leinster.
So if we lose to Bath we might be cheering for Sarries next weekend!

(We then need to hope we beat Quins and that Bristol lose away at Newcastle on the last day of the season)

So ultimately we need to finish 6th or:

La Rochelle must finish top 6
Then Sale must finish top 6
Then Sarries have to win CC
Then we need to secure 7th.

2 more wins would be a far easier and deserving method

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: European Champions Cup Qualification.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 05:21:36 PM »
What I didn’t factor in here was a Bath BP win.

Now obviously 4 teams are in the hunt for 6th place on the last week and possibly the importance of finishing 7th is still there.

Leicester vs Bath
Sale vs Gloucester
Wasps vs Quins
Newcastle vs Bristol

Need a performance at home next but it’s not looking good for top flight European rugby

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 05:26:33 PM »
Forget it. We would be embarrassed in exactly the same way that we were this season.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 05:30:15 PM »
I think you’re right, Newcastle obviously also probably could have done without it this year.
It’s the financial implications that will really hurt us though next year.

However, it should offer a few more games where Umaga, Porter, Willis, Sirker, Oghre simply HAVE to play next season.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 05:34:49 PM »

Surely we will spend the same £7 million as all the other sides?

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 05:38:01 PM »

We will, but it’s the loss of income and revenue from not being in the top European tier. How deep do Richardson’s pockets go. CVC money obviously helps though for next year

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 06:26:11 PM »

We will, but it’s the loss of income and revenue from not being in the top European tier. How deep do Richardson’s pockets go. CVC money obviously helps though for next year

You talk of loss of income and revenue (same thing surely). How much are you actually talking about here? I thought the big bucks (whatever that is) only came once you are in the knock out stages.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 06:34:33 PM »
You could be right, know when accounts came out it was discussed that lack of progress in Europe cost us over £1m.
Could be that’s what I’m thinking of rather than money awarded for simply qualifying.

However income from a home game in Europe against a Munster or Toulouse for example would surely bring in more than an early round challenge cup comparison.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 06:49:23 PM »
You could be right, know when accounts came out it was discussed that lack of progress in Europe cost us over £1m.
Could be that’s what I’m thinking of rather than money awarded for simply qualifying.

However income from a home game in Europe against a Munster or Toulouse for example would surely bring in more than an early round challenge cup comparison.

Certainly a home quarter final could be worth a lot in ticket sales - assuming of course that the oppo fans turn out. I don't know with any certainty, but I am sure that at least a few years ago participation in the equivalent of the Champions Cup could be quite a costly affair.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 07:54:21 PM »

It was mentioned previously when the accounts were released that home knock-out games were worth around £1m in revenue

Chilham

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2019, 01:04:32 PM »
It'll come down to bonus points.  It's why I'm so mad at WlR for throwing our LBP away yesterday.

We beat Quins, Bristol beat Falcons and Tigers beat Bath, Bath, Bristol and Wasps are all on 51 points.  Sale get an LPB home to Gloucester, and they are too.  I think I'm right we'd be behind Quins and Sale on games won and points difference, but ahead of Bristol.

Too many variables to predict, but a try bonus sure would help.  One good game....

Mind you, getting fed-up with Toulouse and Castres every year.  Maybe a trip to Pau or Agen would be nice.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2019, 01:16:51 PM »
Trips to Romania and Russia up for grabs too.
Let me tell you something cucumber