Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Hask to Retire  (Read 3241 times)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
It was fine when I left it.....

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Hask to Retire
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 09:21:12 AM »
Thank you James. You brought tears to my eyes on many an occasion and also gave us some great rugby. Eddie says you were a 'glue' player in the squad, and I agree. Something that seems to be lacking at Wasps since Dai told you to move on.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 10:46:28 AM by NellyWellyWaspy »

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 09:28:24 AM »

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 09:57:57 AM »
The one thing that you could never hold against James was a lack of passion for the shirt. Always shone through whichever one he was wearing. I wish him all the best for the future. Perhaps he fancies a consultancy role as Mr Motivator for the Wasps squad.

WallyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 09:59:18 AM »
Thank you James. You bright tears to my eyes on many an occasion

For many different reasons! No bad thing! Though i certainly felt more groans than tears when it came to his sense of humour. Long live the Archbishop of Banterbury! And good luck!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 11:25:49 AM »
I'm sorry to see him go - I was sorry to see him leave us this season and that was especially the case once we lost Danny to Glaws and Jimmy to injury - we were light on leaders and it showed

I'd have bet a fiver we'd have won on Sunday with a fit Hask on the pitch of only to provide a focus for the team.

Hell of a player

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 01:17:02 PM »
Its only just been released.. I'm thinking it was filmed last week when he knew..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahgB9gP2kLQ

Nopace

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 02:41:13 PM »
Just watching it now. Great bloke, glad he’s happy in his home life. Cheers Hask, all the best for the future, I remember watching his rugby cave man xfit videos on YouTube back in the day... brutal.

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 07:50:59 PM »
And who can forget this classic rugby moment and Waterbottlegate......

England teammates James Haskell and Joe Marler scrap on the field ...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJjMDIvkIwY

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 10:55:25 AM »
..or when he ran into the post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6tMj5w_kbE

Only Hask could do that

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 01:33:35 PM »
Telling to hear his biggest regret is that, with hindsight, he doesn’t feel he celebrated the victories or  enough and instead sought to get straight back at the training to continue to try and figure out how he could be better player.

For all the jokes and jibes about Brand Haskell and rugby almost being a side-business for him, he was a true professional and that he has built businesses to see him through post-rugby is admirable.

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 05:42:06 PM »
I was trying to find the return from the broken foot game when he knocked himself out, running in to the man mountain Freddie Burns ;-), that is also a favourite comedy moment of mine. All of that said, Hask brought character to the game and a sense of fun, all too lacking at the moment. I did get upset when he started Wasps bashing particularly around the training facilities, I've moved on. I tune in every week to Joe's House of Rugby and he never fails to make me laugh. I wish him well and perhaps we'll see him back at Wasps in some capacity, he only lives in Daventry (spitting distance)...

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 08:18:11 AM »
I think this season's  ongoing injury battles and limited game time, whilst leading to this decision, has probably eased him into the retirement transition, compared to having had played a full season and then just completely stopping on 1st June.

From his last podcast with Alex Payne I get the distinct impression who may take a complete break from rugby for a while.

He was very committed to rugby but it comes across that he saw it mainly as a job.. in his own words he's not a "rugby nause"

I doubt the House of Rugby podcast pays him much (apparently Saints weren't either) but I hope he carries on with it as its slightly different to other rugby podcasts as half the chat isn't about rugby but sometimes wider issues.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 10:36:45 AM »
I see Eng are playing BaaBaas in June. Hask said one thing he hasn't achieved which he wished he had was representing them. I wonder if he'll be picked for them to finish his career or whether his on going injuries rule him out of that game as well