Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Latest Wasps rumours and news.  (Read 5474 times)

ricohchezwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Latest Wasps rumours and news.
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2019, 11:42:23 AM »
Belfast,

yes I have been rather quiet recently, still avoiding the plague that is the DW site, i read most it in utter astonishment, seems to have been ambushed by the Anti Dai Brigade..... on multiple threads...... i can't bring myself to waste the effort of a response as i will probably have to ban myself.  I did wind up the Exeter board after our away win but that the limit of my posting in 2019.

As for the academy recruitment i was told the number but can't remember all the names so am not about to name names. whatever the number for some it will be not enough, and for some may be too many weakening our squad, suffice to say Tom Robinson may have got the number right whilst driving !?

Looking forward to next season, meanwhile concentrating on my golf handicap,  which is currently equal to Newcastle but unlike them heading in the right direction

will beat the Quins game

r

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2019, 11:49:21 AM »
suffice to say Tom Robinson may have got the number right whilst driving !?

Was he driving on a three-lane road by any chance?
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2019, 11:55:23 AM »
Ricohchez's answer is a bit cryptic.

2, 4, 6, 8, Motorway.

Pick a number, any number, hehe ... as long as it is even.

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2019, 12:02:39 PM »
Ricoh I'm assuming some may be left in the Snr Academy to work the loop holes of the salary cap?

For me, I'm ok with a relatively high number. I know we've had some great success over the years with Championship recruits but there is something a bit different with promoting from with in if the coaches deem them good enough. Especially this summer where our club 'identity' and 'values' have been called into question, a promotion of home grown talent sends a really strong message.

I hope the Club make a big deal of the announcement as for me, this is just a positive as signing a marquee player!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2019, 12:06:47 PM »
A challenge cup really might help a core of youngsters.

The likes of West, Oghre, Barbaery, Willis, Porter, Umaga, etc all getting good solid gametime and starts together would be very handy.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2019, 12:13:16 PM »
Challenge Cup will be good for visiting strange places hopefully. Blood a few players but try and win it.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2019, 12:17:42 PM »
Yeah I'd prefer Challenge Cup over Champions Cup as it will tie in with our 're-building' nicely... As said above, blood some youngsters and also chase some silverware!

Arghhhhh I really want the academy promotions announcement now!! What have you done to me Ricoh!!

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2019, 12:18:56 PM »
Challenge Cup will be good for visiting strange places hopefully. Blood a few players but try and win it.

I think this is key. If you believe you should be in the Champions Cup yet find yourself in the Challenge Cup your sole aim and expectation should be to win it. In the pool stage smashing every opponent home and away should be target. No excuse for not making the semi-finals at least if you believe you have Premiership Top 4 ambitions.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2019, 01:55:10 PM »
Throwing it out there but could the non EQP winger be Cooper Vuna?
It was fine when I left it.....

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2019, 02:22:30 PM »
A bit past it I would have thought, no?

ricohchezwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2019, 02:22:59 PM »
i think a year in the challenge cup whilst not being financially sound in the short term would offer long term chance of success, we are not going to be able to compete with the likes of Leinster and Toulouse so getting stuffed by them again is not going to do the team and the youngsters any great favours.We need to start building again and the challenge cup is an excellent opportunity with some potentially rewarding away trips, i am fed up with Dublin and Toulouse anyway. give me toulon Pau, Grenoble and Bordeaux any day of the week. we have 29 players staying i believe at least 7 joining to date although i may be wrong on both those counts plus the academy promotions which makes a fairly healthy squad size. we need to challenge in the premiership cup also. the season is going to be a bit weird, start late in September and going thru till June so a long pre-season in store.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2019, 03:01:36 PM »
Well, if we assume that maybe 2 or 3 more signings have yet to be confirmed, I would imagine Dai has looked to reduce the average wage of the players next year (excluding the two marquee players) to enable him to increase the squad size to maybe more than 45 players. That would suggest he would be promoting 6 or maybe even 8 academy players. He would have a squad of 47 maybe.

With so much youth in the squad, the focus next year would indeed be on development. Maybe a couple of the better academy coaches would move up as well?