Always a Wasp

Author Topic: OT Just who are Saracens fans - and where are they all? From the Telegraph  (Read 3014 times)

Fats

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Telegraph   Sport   Rugby Union
Just who are Saracens fans - and where are they all?
There are expected to be fewer than 5,000 Saracens fans at Saturday's Champions Cup final

It is hard work finding a Saracens fan. They might be the most successful English rugby club of the last decade, with the chance to be crowned European champions for a third time against Leinster this weekend, but take a walk in the streets around their Allianz Park home and there is almost zero chance of spotting a Sarries shirt. Indeed, beyond a few electronic billboards advertising season tickets on the West Way and North Circular, it feels the club might as well not exist.

To find 'Sarries country' you must delve deep into that odd hinterland where north London suburbs blend into Hertfordshire green belt. The fans you find there seem a passionate bunch, albeit characterised by a certain civilised gentility. Ask why this turbo-charged club, boasting some of the world's finest rugby players - including England captain Owen Farrell, Maro Itoje and the Vunipola brothers - remains something of a fringe interest when it comes to support, and the answers tend to be the same: the area's big football clubs, Tottenham and Arsenal, suck support away.

Indeed, for many Saracens fans, football was their first love. Fraser Collett-Gorton was a lifelong Arsenal supporter but a combination of falling for rugby culture and the soaring prices of Premier League season tickets have made him a Saracens devotee - even if he is careful to point that his enthusiasm has limits. “I wouldn’t describe myself as fanatical, that has certain connotations that I am not comfortable with it," he says. "But I would say that I am passionate about Saracens."

Saracens' problem is that followers like Fraser are an endangered species. There are expected to be fewer than 5,000 fans travelling to Saturday's Champions Cup final at St James’s Park in Newcastle, with the majority of the sell-out crowd of 51,500 expected to be wearing either the blue of Leinster or the red of Munster, the latter having bought tickets in advance and will attend regardless of their side's 32-16 defeat to Saracens in the semi-finals.

Saracens cannot be accused of not trying to swell their ranks. A travelling fans' group - Sarries on Tour - was set up by Collett-Gorton and Claire Gonzalez, another who converted to rugby after many frustrating years supporting Newcastle United, in a bid to boost the numbers of travelling fans.

One striking aspect of the club's support is the number of women - and in particular single women - who attend matches. "With Sarries on Tour we get a lot of single women coming with us," Collet-Gorton says. "It is difficult to know why but Saracens is very friendly and a very sociable environment. I think women feel safe and comfortable coming to games by themselves. There is a lot of women in the Sarries on Tour group that come on their own and they make friendships because of it. It's not about looking for love but fair enough if they find it!”

John Trigg, Chair of the Saracens' Supporters Association, who are officially linked to the club, puts it another way. “I am not sure if they would set up a dating agency in the club but I dare say they could if they wanted to!”

Frenchwoman Veronique Landew, another who swerves the 'fanatic' label in favour of “Saracens aficionado”, believes the “convivial” atmosphere at Allianz Park, where supporters can sip on craft beer and chow down on wood-fired pizza, has helped broaden the club's appeal.

The club is certainly keen to target a younger demographic and have made inroads into their local community through setting up Saracens High School and initiating projects such as working with young offenders, but attracting supporters from outside middle-class backgrounds has been a struggle.

“I sometimes think that is rugby's downfall," adds Gonzalez. "I think rugby is still seen by a lot of people as being a public school thing in England. I would like to see that change - I have met people, and not just Saracens fans but others, who are very snobby about the sport in general.”

In the mean time, it is about taking baby steps. One of Gummer's more innovative projects is a recent deal to play their London derby against Harlequins at Tottenham’s new stadium, part of an effort to tap into that area's working-class background. “We are trying to reach out to new audiences and if we can get the football audience in north London some exposure to rugby that might help us to grow rugby in this area,” he says.

"We hope to create content that would appeal to both sets of fans. We have a lot of similarities, we both work with Nike as a brand, we both have leading England players. There are so many nice parallels that would work well from a marketing perspective.”

An advertising campaign featuring two England captains in Owen Farrell and Harry Kane would be the definition of an easy sell. But in the mean time, Saracens and their band of 'aficianados' will have to keep punching above their weight, off the field at least.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Why am I not surprised. Thanks for posting, Fats.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Interesting comment about Munster fans. I was offered tickets for the final after we beat them in Dublin & there were still a number at Twickenham. Keen on rugby although I am not sure whether they supported us or Toulouse.

Liverpool & Spurs fans are complaining about the low number of tickets and the prices available to them for the European final in Madrid never mind the other final in Baku.

How many Wasps fans would travel to Newcastle if we were in the Final?

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
Lets not get on our high horse, since the move to the Ricoh we are now the 2nd best supported team in the Premiership but in our Adams Park glory years we rarely sold out at a 10K capacity stadium. Admittedly we did amass big crowds for the finals and respectable away support for big games but popular we was not.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Well we have seen at least a dozen at tonight's match. Wasps fans tend to travel.
Let me tell you something cucumber

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
We are rather spread, thus for many Sale or Newcastle is close to home, or Glaws/Bath, not to mention the manybLondon based supporters.
Away Waspies and big game Waspies have always been there in decent numbers. There are plenty of Wasps fans, but as mentioned above, towards the end of AP we had very poor crowds. We were basically Sarries, but with many more supporters from afar who were not regulars.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
It must be difficult for the Sarries fans to keep going to all the finals season after season.

Will have another one in a couple of weeks time. Cost may come into, maybe a business proposition for the supporters. A few more house sales would make life better for me.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

I'm seriousness though, it's probably more a case that their fan base hasn't grown in line with their success, but has stayed mostly static.

That's not a huge surprise either. Any London based rugby fans probably already have an allegiance to a team, so it's hard to pick up many new fans.
While they've had success on the pitch, it's indicative of rugby itself that it's struggling to become attractive to new audiences.

We have been a bit of an exception here due to our relocation as we've been able to tap into casual fans who have become more serious fans due to a team now being on their doorstep
Most other clubs don't have that opportunity

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Saracens are doing lots of good community work at the clubs in Kent where I am from but the option for a coach load of mini rugby club fans going up to Newcastle on an 8hr each way journey just didn’t appeal to anyone for this one.
Clubs are invited all the time to mini rugby events before and during half time at Sarries games as happens at most clubs where we’d then get reduced tickets for the game but even from the depths of Kent this was always a seriously long day for my son and as you couldn’t pick your seats you get dumped in the uncovered seating and wasn’t always a good experience

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Few can afford to live in London, and it has become increasingly fashionable and practicable to commute to London from Bristol and even as far as Nottingham. Loads of people work in London, but how many live there? Of those that do how many can afford a season ticket? With football the international game and traditional game of the region, and with so many nationalities there, it is hard to see room for growth.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
North West London is now essentially Asian, with little taste for oval ball games. 

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
Saracens are doing lots of good community work at the clubs in Kent where I am from but the option for a coach load of mini rugby club fans going up to Newcastle on an 8hr each way journey just didn’t appeal to anyone for this one.
Clubs are invited all the time to mini rugby events before and during half time at Sarries games as happens at most clubs where we’d then get reduced tickets for the game but even from the depths of Kent this was always a seriously long day for my son and as you couldn’t pick your seats you get dumped in the uncovered seating and wasn’t always a good experience

I believe they have a fair bit too do with our local club out on the east coast of Kent, but  from what I can gather (second hand) there isn't a huge take up because of the costs and ease of getting there from here.