Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Gatland Again  (Read 3004 times)

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
Gatland Again
« on: May 10, 2019, 10:02:43 AM »
I see the Beeb are reporting that Gats is leading the Lions in 2021.  That must be some sort of record...especially if he remains unbeaten against the SH.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Gatland Again
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 04:04:13 PM »
In my opinion, his record speaks for itself. You can't fault a guy who gets a series win in Aus and then gets  a series draw in NZ.
However, I would like to see him being more proactive in his selections and getting a good understanding of each national team. You can understand how the Scots feel disenfranchised by the Lions. There were some players who were getting onto the plane who shouldn't have been there (coincidentally Welsh) when there was a more able Scotsman who could've gone. Then there's the "Geography Six"...

Rifleman Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 04:28:26 PM »
Not being coach of one of the nations may help there.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 04:32:27 PM »
Not being coach of one of the nations may help there.
I agree and that's a mistake that's been made before with disastrous consequences (2005).

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 10:53:51 PM »
James: Some evidence please to support your assertion that some Welsh players were selected who should not have been and some Scottich players were not selected who should have been. Are you really suggesting that Gatland was biased in his decisions in the squads for Oz and NZ?

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 09:26:09 AM »
Great news. Should be a good tour... hoping to break my Lions virginity and head out for it with the wife and kids and make a Summer of it.  Can’t wait.

re: Selection, the Geography six or whatever they were does cheapen the overall selection.  However, selection is so subjective. Most of us would argue that in not selecting the likes of Cips and Goode that Eddie and team are over-looking the best players and selecting inferior players instead. Eddie would argue that he’s selecting a squad based on what he believes in best for the squad and his game plan.  In both circumstances the general public and Eddie are both right.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 10:49:36 AM »
James: Some evidence please to support your assertion that some Welsh players were selected who should not have been and some Scottich players were not selected who should have been. Are you really suggesting that Gatland was biased in his decisions in the squads for Oz and NZ?

I would have selected Finn Russell in place of Dan Biggar from the start. (Although I will acknowledge Finn was included on the tour at a later stage)
I probably would have selected Jonny Gray over AWJ too.
I would then have Simon Zebo instead of George North.

But I will happily admit the likes of Tipuric and Faletau are names you can't budge off the team regardless of nationality and Ken Owens performed far better than Rory Best.

Rifleman Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 10:57:26 AM »
I would imagine AWJ would have been one of his first picks.  He is an awesome captain and I would imagine the coach would be after someone he could trust and has confidence to lead.  AWJ ticks those boxes, so even if others were ahead of him on performance, his leadership probably swayed the decision. 

Clearly I have no idea, and the reason may have been his name was drawn out of a hat, but given what has happened with Wales since I suspect not!

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 11:05:01 AM »
I would imagine AWJ would have been one of his first picks.  He is an awesome captain and I would imagine the coach would be after someone he could trust and has confidence to lead.  AWJ ticks those boxes, so even if others were ahead of him on performance, his leadership probably swayed the decision. 

Clearly I have no idea, and the reason may have been his name was drawn out of a hat, but given what has happened with Wales since I suspect not!

If it was based on form now, I'd have AWJ hands down. But I don't remember him being having that great a year in 2017.

Rifleman Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 11:17:16 AM »
Good point. I can't remember last week, never mind 2 years ago.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 11:25:27 AM »
Good point. I can't remember last week, never mind 2 years ago.

Same!  :o