Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Times worst signing of the season  (Read 8419 times)

Fats

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Times worst signing of the season
« on: May 20, 2019, 10:19:26 AM »
Worst signing of the season
Lima Sopoaga (Wasps). If Gloucester signing Danny Cipriani is everyone’s player of the season, the worst piece of business now appears to have been done at Wasps, where they let him go. They put judgment on the line by bringing in Sopoaga instead. To be fair, no one said at the time that this was anything other than an outstanding recruit. Maybe next season it will be, but he needs renewed confidence and a lot of work on his defence.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Times worst signing of the season
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 10:24:04 AM »
I find that a bit cruel on Lima. I don't think you can compare someone who is experiencing a new league and the Northern Hemisphere way of playing the game against someone who does have this experience.

Green Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 11:13:01 AM »
Agreed a bit harsh on Lima. Exchanging Matthews for Symons for me wasn’t the greatest bit of business.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 11:32:24 AM by Green Wasp »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 11:22:49 AM »
Sorry Curtis Ambrose??
This is actually a very unpleasant article. With recent stability Lima has been improving.
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 11:30:47 AM »
Sorry Curtis Ambrose??
This is actually a very unpleasant article. With recent stability Lima has been improving.

Yes, he has. He was quite good on Saturday. Getting there as they say.

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 11:33:23 AM »
What a vile article to post.

This is not going to help the situation of aiding Lima settle in for next season.... I just hope he takes this dross as a challnege and it drives him to go out and prove it wrong next season.

I bet DW will lap this up!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 11:35:20 AM by Rory87 »

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 11:42:15 AM »
Fats, where does the article come from? EDIT: Sorry, applied brain power now. I can see from your thread title!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 11:51:20 AM by jamestaylor002 »

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 11:49:25 AM »
From the Times?
As in The Times?

To be fair Charles P settled in seconds, others take longer, some never settle. Different teams, positions, not comparable and all that. Hopefully Lima will inprove.

Telegraph had Symons and Cips in their team of the season.

No Waspies... (

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 12:29:08 PM »
Curtis Ambrose? Or Ambrose Curtis? Or Curtly Ambrose?

Circumstances didn't help Sops.. He had no pre-season with the rest of the squad, then had a merry-go-round of backs outside him, as well as 9's inside him.. and referrring back to another thread.. he's moved his family half way around the world.. so he has off-field (normal life) things to try and adjust to.

I'm hoping Sops and Brad help Toomaga-Allen and his family out with trying to become adjusted to UK life.

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 12:59:11 PM »
I really have to admire the patience being shown on here. I'd agree that worst signing of the season is indeed harsh but I'm struggling to see where the improvement is going to come from tbh. I have held judgement on him all season to give him a decent chance of finding his feet, but I've got to say I haven't seen a single moment from him where I've thought yes, there's a world class FH in there somewhere. I haven't seen every minute of his time or anywhere near it but crikey I'm struggling to remain optomistic.

Nopace

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 01:41:45 PM »
this is from the independent:

Worst piece of business: Dai Young allowing Danny Cipriani to leave Wasps and replacing him with All Black also ran, Lima Sopoaga. Lovely bloke but not in Cipriani’s league as a 10 and Wasps suffered as a result.

Best piece of business: Johan Ackermann signing Danny Cipriani.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 01:52:30 PM »
I really dislike this type of article.  What good does it do anyone?

Also, how do they know Dai Young 'let Cipriani go'.  Short of holding him at gunpoint he may have tried everything within his power (he may have tried that too for all we know).  It isn't simple a case of someone letting someone else walk out the door, there may be reasons that meant he was going regardless.  Maybe we should have hung on to beyond the last minute just in case he got into the England side and risked going into this season with Searle as our only 10.  Maybe someone should have had  the foresight to realise that EJ would name him in the touring party to keep him in England, and hence available for the WC in case of emergency. Maybe we could have offered him more than the French clubs (it's what Sarries would have done, lets face it).

This whole best / worst business is stupid and pointless.  Deals were done on the best information available at the time. It should also be noted - Cipriani didn't leave us to go to Gloucester - he didn't commit to us, we got a replacement, he made no decision, he got into the England side at the last minute giving him an opening for the WC, he then signed for Gloucester.  If he hadn't have made the tour to SA, my bet is he would have been in France and this piece would never have seen the light of day.  That isn't to say Ackerman didn't do a good piece of business, but I don't think it can be linked to Dai signing Sops.  They were separate occurrences.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 02:00:40 PM »
And the 'Once a Wasp' prize for nasty journalism goes to...

Refuse to read it, not interested no matter which team it referred to. What's is it trying to achieve?

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 02:03:02 PM »
That puts it so much more succinctly!  Thanks.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 02:04:49 PM »
Which 'journalists' are responsible for these ignorant pieces of crap? Let me know who they are and I will finally find a use for my twitter account.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!