Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Times worst signing of the season  (Read 8420 times)

Eezamarlowman

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Times worst signing of the season
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2019, 05:55:45 PM »
I get that it hasn’t been easy for him, relocating family to other side of World, constant changing of players around him etc, but, he is paid a huge amount of money and for many observers he has failed to live upto his reputation. He isn’t the worst signing but he certainly hasn’t delivered what I would expect for someone who takes up a big chunk of the salary cap. He seems a lovely chap, says the right things, hopefully next season will be better. Let’s hope he gets fired up with today’s (harsh in my view) article in the times

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2019, 07:21:20 PM »
Yep, i'll say similar. Nice guy, tries and I hope he does better next season.

Whilst comparing him to Cips is just plain dumb as is stating Dai 'let him go', taking it at face value, is the article wrong or out of order...

I expected more from someone of his caliber. Whilst settling in to a new team and environment might have an incremental impact, he is/was apparently one of the best 10's in the sport. Whilst he may have had expected challenges, he should have been delivering more quality by now. OK, it takes gametime to adjust, sure..but does it take a whole season, nearly half his contract? and even still, while improved, he hasn't been maybe 350k and All Black experienced better than Miller or Searle. People talk of losing Gops, what if Gops wasn't at wasps, why did he 'need' him to succeed. He arrived under a fanfair which quickly reduced to a squeak.
I'm sure everyone here had an opinion of Stephen Donald at Bath...which ended up as a terrible signing given his stature. If Lima doesn't deliver in spades next season, he'll fall into the same bracket.
Whilst you don't have to like the article, it isn't unfactual.

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2019, 08:38:43 PM »
Fats apologies if my first post was one that you were referring to.

It was pure frustration and 100% directed at the journalists. I appreciate you bringing news and articles to our attention for discussions. I’ll count to 10 before commenting on things like this again.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2019, 09:17:42 PM »
Yes this is a very football style article isn’t it?
However in terms of an investment Lima definitely has not delivered. It is also no good saying each time that it takes a SH player a season to settle in as that just emphasises it as a bad investment.
Duncan Weir has had a good season in a struggling team, Ford has been absolute class behind a shocking pack, even Sheedy at Bristol despite being very new to that level has shown real moments of quality. The Du Preez brother who came to Sale on loan led the team in a very astute manner instantly. Cips has gone straight in and reinvigorated Gloucester.
I’m not sure some of the instant go tos in defence of Sopoaga are justified each time, no regular 12, long way from home etc
I’m not going to blame him for everything or even attack him as a bloke but he without question should have done more this season considering his stock, whether it be more individual moments or putting others around him though holes.
Dai without doubt would have expected more but then that could also be said for every player in our back line with Robson probably being the exception.

Next season however I hope he takes charge has Dobby inside him and Jimmy outside him and then if replacement 9s and 12s come in we then play to the same game plan. (Very different of course going from Jimmy to Gaby at 12)

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2019, 09:42:41 PM »
I really rate Sops, it’s just frustrating to see him being compared to Cips.

They are very different and I can see a real preseason going a long way to resetting and playing on Lima’s terms.

Even towards the end of the season, he looked so much more confident- happy to run at defenders and commit them, confident to break into space if it was there and playing (at times) much closer to the line.

His delivery out of hand is mostly spot on and with some consistency around him, and an old friend in Fekitoa, I’m sure we’ll see him at his best next season.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2019, 09:54:46 PM »
What do rugby & other journalists do in the (almost) off-season?
- review what has been good & what bad in the season just ended.
- write stories that claim who has done well/not well.
It’s an easy win for them.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2019, 01:51:49 AM »
What you all have to remember is these articles are not designed to help Lima. The journos don't care about Lima, and I would hazard a guess that Owen Slot would say, and rightly, that many an AB has been up against it in the press, and many have prevailed over the articles. Great players beat what is written about them. I guess they would say that if an article can be a downfall of a great player then they were not that great.
Lima will hopefully come back and play better than this year, where no less a man than Rob Smith was publically suggesting that Rob Miller was a better choice at the end. That was not the plan when Dai signed him, and pretending otherwise won't help Lima.

Danny was, and indeed is, the best ten in the NH. Nobody could compete. I know it is not the case that 'we let him go', but Shaun E said that we did on BT. Nobody laid into him for that, and rightly so; we don't know what we could have done at the last to keep him, if anything, but he went and to the outside it looks strange. Nobody knows if Dai looked forward to the change with any relish.
DC is possibly the best ten in the world, albiet in a maverick way that Eddie won't ever get his head around.
There is a suspicion, voiced by those more knowledgeable than myself, that maybe Dai did not quite see eye to eye with Danny. Who knows? I don't, and would not care to say.

We did replace one with the other, in that the team sheet says so. We did not mean to, it was probably not a question of signing one over the other, and had Danny signed earlier then Lima would have rocked up for someone else. But the teamsheet says we had Danny, we have Lima, on more money, reputedly at least, and hence tomorrow's fish and chip wrappings have this article. Most likely nobody said "let's drop Danny for Lima" but the net effect was Danny for Lima, in the same way it was Wade for Watson, so I can't really have a pop at the journos who produce this based solely on last season's teamsheet and this.

I do hope it works next but the Times owes us nothing. Not Dai, not Lima, not Cips, not Wasps. They are within their rights to report, albiet superficially, that we exchanged Cips for Lima. The point is, if course, to sell papers and such season reviews are commonplace. I will be honest, I don't really like Slots' comments on rugby in general, he writes the obvious, but I feel getting angry at the article or the reposting of it won't help.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 07:32:43 AM by westwaleswasp »

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2019, 08:17:57 AM »
I really rate Sops, it’s just frustrating to see him being compared to Cips.

They are very different and I can see a real preseason going a long way to resetting and playing on Lima’s terms.

Even towards the end of the season, he looked so much more confident- happy to run at defenders and commit them, confident to break into space if it was there and playing (at times) much closer to the line.

His delivery out of hand is mostly spot on and with some consistency around him, and an old friend in Fekitoa, I’m sure we’ll see him at his best next season.

What's slightly annoying is that he seems to have finally built up a playing relationship with Gaby who has instinctively started to either run dummy holding lines or act as a foil for Lima running on a loop. I even think Gaby's wider distribution passing skills seem to have improved as well. Such a shame he's now moving (interesting that no club has been announced for his destination).

Back to Lima. He obviously hasn't converted quite so easily to the suffocating defensive systems that seems so prevalent in the premiership.

I think he signed a 3 yr deal with us so its up to him and the coaches to find a style of play that suits his skillset.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 08:32:07 AM by BG »

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2019, 12:10:37 PM »
Fully agree BG, consistency of 9 and 12 (especially with those players also coming into form) has shown encouraging signs.

If Fekitoa and/or Gopps can form a similar relationship next year then we have something to be excited about