Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Henry Purdy  (Read 2767 times)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Henry Purdy
« on: May 27, 2019, 08:26:16 PM »
Leaving Glaws, not sure where he is bound if anywhere but could he do a job, plays on the wing and centre. I have only seen him fleetingly but he looked accomplished, the worry would be he has been injury prone. EQP and age on his side, a level of versatility....thoughts?

http://en.espn.co.uk/england/rugby/player/172269.html

It was fine when I left it.....

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Purdy
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 09:15:46 PM »
Always struck me as more determined than talented, but then that can take a player a long way indeed.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 12:01:58 AM »
Was part of the Wasps school network squads (not sure of the technical term for that) a while ago.
Not sure I’d be that keen although his versatility is a plus.
Way down the pecking order at Glaws now as well although think he has been injured a lot this season.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 08:00:42 AM »
Mutterings on shedweb implying that Glos are having to cut a few numbers from their squad to accommodate Cips on a much higher salary.

I'm glad to see their forum have some members of the tin hat brigade.

Back to Purdy - I don't think he'd add much to the squad other than being another player adding to the numbers - so perhaps it comes down to the question of "how much?"

If he's only just found out his contract isn't being renewed then his options at this stage must be very limited

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 08:58:50 AM »
I think it probably does come down to "how much"

I was a bit of a fan and thought him a more than decent player. Sometimes you end up not fitting and a change is needed. If he was available at a price we can accommodate on a one year offer - I'd risk it

The last thing we need is a 13 mind, but a back three cover wouldn't be wasted if we can do wing, he could do 15 too.

petros

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 09:03:35 AM »
He made the EPS at one point but injuries stymied him

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 09:36:51 AM »
It must be very disheartening for an up and coming player to reach that type of level and then through injuries drift off everyone's radar.

If I recall he was a proper handful at 13 and very quick so can cover the wing position. It will all depend on his injury status.

Sometimes you have to back yourself as a person/player and take a pay cut to try and prove to yourself and others that you can get back to where you once were.

Exeter developed their squad 2 or 3 years ago using players like this.. discarded by other clubs, but given a 2nd chance by Exeter... Kvesic from Glaws, Parling and Waldron from Tiggers, Woodburn from Bath.

Worth a punt if the money is right for both parties

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 01:51:39 PM »
Decent player with a terrible injury record?

He'll fit right at Wasps !   ;D

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 04:17:18 PM »
Interesting that Glaws have supported him through a very long period of rehab and then almost immediately he becomes fit they have released him, good summary of why here although they feel he maybe missed as a 13.

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/henry-purdy-gareth-evans-unfortunate-2914234

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 05:25:20 PM »
There has been speculation on Shedweb that Purdy and Gareth Evans' who has also been let go, are casualties of Cips' new contract with him being paid somewhat more than what he was getting in his first season. Butting up against the salary cap!
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 08:29:03 PM »
Full list of Glaws departeees, significant number perhaps to accommodate the salary of 'our former number ten'.

Departing players: Gareth Denman (Coventry), Gareth Evans, Paddy McAllister (Connacht), Henry Purdy, Will Safe, Tom Savage (Suntory Sungoliath), Mike Sherry, Kyle Traynor (retired), Ben Vellacott (Wasps), Callum Allen, Dom Coetzer, Ewan Fenley, Joe Mullis, Cameron Terry.

Anyone know anything about Callum Allen? Worth a look or not?

Full name Callum Allen
Born February 12, 1999
Current age 20 years 105 days
Major teams Gloucester Rugby
Position Lock
Height 1.96 m
Weight 118 kg
It was fine when I left it.....

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 08:54:59 PM »
Anyone know anything about Callum Allen? Worth a look or not?

He was loaned (was it last year of the year before?) to Cinderford.