Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Premiership Grounds  (Read 2448 times)

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Premiership Grounds
« on: May 30, 2019, 08:53:02 AM »
As the season draws to  an end, which grounds that people have visited this season (or perhaps last ) would you go back to and which you'd probably not, taking into account facilities, access (parking), prices, atmosphere.

This topic is partly inspired by a thread on the Saints forum so I'll give them credit for this.

Wiltshire Wasp

• Loving Coventry
    • View Profile
Re: Premiership Grounds
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 09:36:47 AM »
The  Rec is glorious - provided it is dry! Always up for our away games there.
“In a world full of Kardashians be an Audrey”.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 09:44:01 AM »
Alternatively the Rec is a sh1t hole where you get soaked watching a mud fest. However the city is superb.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 10:24:23 AM by Neils »
Let me tell you something cucumber

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 09:54:47 AM »
I'd never go back to Sandy Park. Poor views, long boring journey down the M5 and as for those annoying chants!

Chilham

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 10:09:54 AM »
Agree on the Rec, in good weather. We enjoyed Sandy Park. Made a weekend of it, got good weather. I know of several, including his late Lordship, who had poor experiences there.

No longer Premiership, but Kingston Park is one of our favourites. Kingsholm too.  Good atmosphere.

Surprised to enjoy the experience at Franklin’s Gardens last season, but likely due to Saints winning, meaning the usually one-eyed crowd was not so restless.

Sixways can be fine if you have the right seats, near to a bar. The Stoop and Welford Road too.

Not a fan of the AJ Bell and Allianz Park, but the Madejski is by far the worst. Irish’s new ground can’t come soon enough.

Your milage may vary.

Must get to Ashton Gate next season.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 10:20:54 AM »
I like going to the rec as Bath is just a glorious city. As people have said to ground is poor but will still go.

Newcastle is good, sandy park is in a lovely city but it’s such a poor ground to see rugby

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 10:29:27 AM »
Loved Welford road. Partisan crowd, close to the action & intimate enough for a good atmosphere.

Found Franklins Gardens cramped & unpleasant.

Rec is just fantastic, except for when its raining!

Madjeski was just dreadful the last time I went, although it was so empty at least I got served quickly! ALthough was much better at the Euro semi a few years ago when it fuller.

Actually quite like the Stoop, although the constantly wandering Quins fans do get on your nerves a bit! It helps to go with a season ticket holding friend and can access to Members bar!

Can't say I am a massive fan of the Ricoh TBH. Its OK when full but doesn't have enough of a soul to get away with being half empty IMO.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 10:46:44 AM »
Agree with you about the stoop, have enjoyed myself there on several occasions.  Also had good banter With quins supporters.

Also sixways has been decent.

Agree with the Ricoh, do find it difficult to keep going with a 160 mile round trip, especially what has been served up recently

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 01:28:35 PM »
Out of those I have visited recently

I've always enjoyed Glaws, decent access for me and good views from main stand - decent banter
I actually enjoyed my last visits to Tigers - helped by having a friend with family working there, but again good view
Madjesky - yuck, atmosphere free
Bath - good fun if dry and I sometimes get a freebie with a neighbour - pain sometimes to access
Quins - I like it mainly I suspect as I used to live that way - and so know access and pubs - good sight lines

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 06:10:24 PM »
The Rec has some awful sight lines. Sitting towards the end of the long stand, you lose sight of what’s happening in the corners.
Ashton Gate is easy to get in and out - and walkable to/from the City Centre. Good views all round. And friendly crowd.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2019, 09:22:56 AM »
Went to Ashton Gate this year for our win, which was good, the last minute change from the weekend to the Friday night was not so good, especially with all the Friday night drinkers heading to the bars constantly. Would go back but not for a Friday night game.

I like Castle Grim despite never seeing us win there, although the last visit was for the Prem Cup game where we got destroyed and it was freezing cold, missus wanted to leave at half time.

Stoop is okay but haven't been for a few seasons, Kingston Park I enjoyed as a Friday night game and despite it being 30th Dec (last season) it wasn't that cold. Went to AJ Bell last season when we lost at the very end, but won't rush back, wasn't the best of grounds.