Always a Wasp

Author Topic: High ball  (Read 1988 times)

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
High ball
« on: May 30, 2019, 11:54:21 AM »
Just wondering what people's thoughts are about dealing with the high ball following the departure of WLR and Wade. Both players were excellent under the high ball, both at winning it and then doing something with it.

Miller and our other back three players that I have seen are good, but I wonder if they put the same fear into sides. In the way that players would think twice about kicking the ball to Wade for example?

How are the new recruits to the first team under the high ball?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: High ball
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 05:06:38 PM »
Thought Watson was excellent under it towards the end of last season both in terms of taking them and returning them with interest. Miller is solid enough. It will be interesting to see how Minozzi gets on as he is fairly small.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 05:28:25 PM »
Interesting question as the comparison is hard - Wade and WLR were two players any team would love to have returning kicks - you couldn't afford to give WLR any time and space especially with one of rugby's fastest and elusive players on his outside....

Looking forwards - as Shugs says, Watson was looking decent and Miller has been good - and without the best - the aim might be to be safe such that kicking to us is to little advantage first and foremost?

What is probably more important is to be organised in the back field - Lima may be involved, very solid catcher and very good in those first two metres away with the ball

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 07:18:30 PM »
Is the question about catching a high ball (technique) or running having caught the ball?

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 09:50:11 PM »
Both really, my perception was that Wade and WLR won most battles in the air and then were dangerous with the ball. So teams will think twice about kicking to them. Wade seemed to jump very high, well timed as did WLR, WLR would twist into the air, which seemed effective. I think Sarries kicked over 20 times in the first half of their semi so it highlights the importance of deterring it, or profiting.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 07:11:22 AM »
I think the competent catchers are the ones who have played at 15 or on the wing for most of their career. WLR and Alex Goode are excellent in the timing of their jump and also turning their body as they do so. Conversely Lima isn't very good . Daly, when playing 15 for England, was also found out under the high ball.. so much so that the following game both Nowell and May covered for him and caught most of the high box kicks

I'm guessing it comes down to the quality of the box kick though. If the attacking team can arrive just about the same time as the defender is preparing to catch the ball then 9 times out of 10 the advancing side will come away with the ball

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 10:47:58 AM »
Minozzi from some of the clips I’ve seen looks decent under the high ball with a good leap and footwork and pace to return with interest.

With confidence Miller is also solid under the high ball but I really like Lima under the high ball- while he isn’t winning every challenge (yet) with ball in hand he offers a good running and kicking threat in broken field