Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Bobby Bridge: Tom Willis and five young Wasps players tipped to shine in 2019/20  (Read 4356 times)

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
I'm thinking there's probably a lot of benefits to come with that though.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Looks alright to me.

Do we all hit the panic button that he hasn't mentioned Umaga?

That STILL concerns me. Jacob has so much skill and potential, to lose him would be very sad. With the exception of if we have loaned him to a team that will give him top level game time (which he would not get with us - he would mainly be in the A team, wasted IMHO), and by that I do not mean another year playing for a Championship side, but maybe a top level NZ team who are short of a first pick #10. In fact, I feel somewhat disappointed that we have Sopoaga (nice guy that he is, and potentially a consistent top flight GP player, but not yet consistent and very expensive), as I would have preferred to see Umaga starting for us this year at 10. I wonder if Dai now regrets signing Sopoaga on such a large pay package? I think he does.

Umaga definitely is back in a house with Oghre on his Instagram.
Preseason starts tomorrow we will see if he is there

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
If he is there, in what capacity? Academy or senior squad player, or a player out on loan with someone else again?

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Surely it makes sense to assume he signed for multiple seasons last time and is still under that contract.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
I would have thought there's a good chance the some of the other 7 promoted players would have been on multiple season academy contracts but seeing as its all within the same club, the contracts can easily be converted to a senior one, so why hasn't Umaga's?

How long has Umaga been in the academy? I can't see any player wanting to be stuck in an academy for more than 3 seasons (possibly 2) and I would have thought similarly a club will either jettison or promote a player after that time period as well.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Wasps have just tweeted that Umaga is the 8th Academy player to sign up, so everyone can calm down !!   :)

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Wasps have just tweeted that Umaga is the 8th Academy player to sign up, so everyone can calm down !!   :)

Sorry, that news has not made me calm down!! Whilst it may take a season, there is some real hope for the future, cannot wait to see how these guys get on.