Always a Wasp

Author Topic: England Training Squad  (Read 14472 times)

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
Re: England Training Squad
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2019, 08:21:05 AM »
Good news for Robson

Is DVT something that can quickly resurface if you've suffered from it before? Do you have to keep taking a medication to keep on top of things?

Generally DVTs require something to make them happen e.g. reduced blood flow (sitting too long in an aeroplane) or some injury (which might be an operation, a broken leg  or, probably in DR's case blows to the leg). There are other reasons but not appropriate here.

After diagnosis the patient is put on Heparin injections, for a few days, to break down the existing clots, and Warfarin to change the blood composition for a few months until the consultant is sure everything has settled down. Obviously this a simplistic explanation.

If you have had one you are, statistically, more likely to get another one.

It is only if you get 2  or 3 subsequent episodes you are put on Warfarin for life

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2019, 08:57:31 AM »

Generally DVTs require something to make them happen e.g. reduced blood flow (sitting too long in an aeroplane) or some injury (which might be an operation, a broken leg  or, probably in DR's case blows to the leg). There are other reasons but not appropriate here.

Wasn't Robson out injured for a while with an ankle problem (was it late autumn?).

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2019, 09:13:07 AM »

Wasn't Robson out injured for a while with an ankle problem (was it late autumn?).

Well he definitely had surgery.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2019, 10:36:57 AM »
DVTs following leg/ankle surgery (or even just plastering following a break) usually happen within 2-3 weeks, and usually when the leg is immobile. The usual reason is the leg hasn't been held in a raised position where it can aid natural drainage of the blood. (although bad plastering that prevents movement of the toes can add to the likelihood)

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2019, 05:03:00 PM »
DVTs following leg/ankle surgery (or even just plastering following a break) usually happen within 2-3 weeks, and usually when the leg is immobile. The usual reason is the leg hasn't been held in a raised position where it can aid natural drainage of the blood. (although bad plastering that prevents movement of the toes can add to the likelihood)

It seems likely  then it was a result of the operation and the plastering of his ankle which may have been too tight.

Dobby needs to be thankfull that the medics in the England camp realised something wasn't OK.. it could have ended up a lot worse

As much as I want Dobby to play for Wasps I really hope he is chosen for the WC squad.. he deserves it.

I might be biased but I think him and Spencer are the 2 best 9's.. why EJ has stuck with Young for the last 2 seasons, but has jettisoned Care, only EJ knows. For me they are identical in the way they play.. slow delivery.. taking 2 or3 sideway steps before they pass.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2019, 05:34:51 PM »

I think that's often a trait of scrum halves as they become more experienced.

Both Youngs and Care used to be known as real livewires.
Some will say that over coaching has affected them, but you see it so often in scrum halves who supposedly focus on rounding their game and improving game management.

9's who likes to snipe, often start taking steps to see if they can drag a defender wide and create a sniping gap.
It eventually seems to become habit..
The snipes start to happen less often as they start to improve their game management because they're looking for other patterns in the defence, looking for holes in the back field, or possible interceptions.
The steps remain in their game, but the sniping gradually disappears

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2019, 08:09:11 PM »
I concur with the above Dobbie and Spencer are the top two for me, with regard the delays in playing once 'use it' has been called, I see that as a risk at the RWC as I can see referees being punitive, quick incisive ball will be key, Dobbie and Spencer are first class operators in that area.

Just for Friday night amusement, I recall another Marler comedy classic relating to pedestrian 9s....https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status/1122162922417991682?lang=en

Which was a highlight of last season for me...

It was fine when I left it.....

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2019, 08:47:21 AM »
It always amazes me that it is seen as more advantageous to delay using the ball allowing a defence to organise. I get the charge down risk, but sometimes it seems the caterpillar is only needed because of the time taken to build it. I guess people have calculated percentages, perhaps it suits some teams better than others.

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2019, 01:02:10 PM »
Refs should shout "use it" as soon as they can see the ball whether or not the scrum half is there

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2019, 03:08:55 PM »
The refs do shout "use it" but its always ignored. Even though the refs have the jurisdication to penalise a 9 for not using it quickly enough, I've never seen it used.

What might help matters is if the ref applied the law of what constitutes being "bound". Quite often you see a forward with one hand placed on the back of another forward. This isn't "bound" therefore the ball, despite being at his feet is technically out.

If a lot of teams use the "caterpillar" technique to give more protection for the scrumhalf in the WC I can see World Rugby bringing in another new law to try outlaw it.

What would also help is if the Ref's were more stringent in  their interpretation of whether the ball is still in the ruck or not. Quite often you see the ball half a yard away from the rear most player's foot.. in my mind the ball is out of the ruck at that point.

Too much protection is given to the 9's in this area. One of the key aspects in rugby union is fair competition for the ball.. which is why the refs really need to clamp down on straight put ins at the scrum and lineout
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 03:10:38 PM by BG »

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2019, 03:56:49 PM »
It is one of the most frustrating things for me, the referees I feel bottle it. It is clear the ball is back in play and out of the ruck but they seem almost afraid to penalise the scrum halves. However there was a moment of controversy earlier in the season when John Lacey pinged Uren from Bristol and La Rochelle gained a scrum as a result, correct call IMO. Bristol clearly didn't see it that way.

A referee needs to make a clear statement of intent earlier on in a game, that way teams will realise that they will be turned over if they don't use the ball promptly, it will also make for a more compelling game to watch rather than the turgid caterpillar routines, Chiefs being masters of that tactic. As stated above it seems to be gaining popular appeal amongst teams which is a shame.

Law 15:17; When the ball has been clearly won by a team at the ruck, and is available to be played, the referee calls “use it”, after which the ball must be played away from the ruck within five seconds. Sanction: Scrum.

That is a rare thing these days.

https://twitter.com/Rreesrugby/status/1112333327153926144
It was fine when I left it.....

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2019, 04:50:11 PM »
Whilst we're on the soapbox straddling a high horse..

Some refs are still allowing a 9 to roll the ball to the back of the ruck with his (or her) hands.

As far as I'm concernerd as soon as a player outside of the ruck (not bound and normally a 9)  puts his hand on the ball.. that ball is back in play, it should be deemed to be out and no offside... hence Marler's sarcastic comment

There is some acceptance that as long as the ball doesn't leave the ground then its still not officially been played but I doubt there's an actual rule that states this..

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2019, 05:16:51 PM »
In terms of the fair contest for the ball concept the infringement I see go without punishment on an incredibly frequent basis is entering from the side.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2019, 05:58:15 PM »
My bug bear is the tackle and ruck - in that in the NH especially, the tackler doesn't release and roll, hands allowed when its a ruck and going for the ball when not supporting own weight. Watching the Pro 14 final and most super rugby - the ref enforces all that and the ball is back in play more quickly and less infringements at the breakdown

I noticed first watching Mitre 10 last summer - when the refs called - "tackle" "release" etc and enforced it - so no one goes for ball slowing as its a penalty - unless first there, on feet and one go. Made for a better game imo

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2019, 09:33:12 PM »
Maybe the ref should simply call 'Ball's out' and let the havoc run. Warn the teams that is what the ref is going to do at the start of the game. Touch the ball with your hands? It's out. Form an unbound crocodile and as soon as the ball moves past the rear foot of a truly bound bound player? It's out. Dummy picking up the ball? It's out. BUT, at the same time, action by a not truly bound player breaking from the scrum, or by a player not fully behind the rear foot of the scrum, will be a penalty. You see them with their feet maybe almost at the rear, but hands on the ground well forward of the rear foot, like a sprinter on the blocks.