Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Ringfencing  (Read 4894 times)

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Ringfencing
« on: July 02, 2019, 12:08:53 PM »
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/date-set-for-gallagher-premiership-vote

I'm not sure if you can interpret this as gospel.

As far as I'm aware the RFU have to sign off on it though, and they will be under pressure from the clubs in Championship. Both will be thinking.. "What's in it for us??"

I read somewhere that those clubs were offered a sweetner from PRL or CVC of about £30k each to clubs to not object, which seems to be chicken feed, a poultry amount.. a "fowl" stench

I'm against ringfencing but I can see why some clubs would welcome it but I don't think it will change the way clubs run their finances, which is the bigger issue.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Ringfencing
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 12:22:21 PM »
But thats not ring fencing per se, but an end to automatic relegation. The bottom prem club will play off against the top Championship side.

I think this will probably be the best compromise that can be expected. I don't like it but it will keep just about everyone happy.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 12:49:14 PM »
The Championship Club complaints will be few and far between.  There’s a couple of clubs left who have the infrastructure and funding to come up.  If the others can put a plan together to get there, then absolutely they should be considered and no doubt it would be reviewed accordingly.

It’ll be good to end this stupid scenario where it’s the same bunch of clubs who are consistently going up and down.  There’s such a gap between the bottom of the Prem and top of the Championship (as evidenced by the likes of Worcester, Bristol and Irish and the relative chasm between the rest of the Championship).

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 02:31:05 PM »
This was first discussed a couple of months ago. I think all the GP clubs are fairly positive about. It certainly should help the cause of English player development. Maybe that is why we have significantly increased the number of young English players in our first team squad.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 03:25:15 PM »
Just noticed, a decision on a 13 team prem being made on Friday the 13th.... doesn't bode well does it :)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 08:02:20 PM »
For me what this proposal would represent is a botch which seeks to placate everyone and ends up pleasing no-one. For those in the Prem the threat of relegation still exists (although a two legged play off goes as far to stack the odds in there favour as is possible) so all the perceived benefits of ringfencing such as academy player development, spending beyond means etc would be compromised. For those in the Championship the prospect of beating a Prem club in a two legged play off would be extremely difficult. It's almost as if they want relegation out of the picture but are doing it via a contrived method. Simplicity is often the best way - either keep relegation as it is or just get rid of it - this falls between two stools for me.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 09:02:46 AM »
I think the opposite Shugs.
This keeps the prem teams happy because the likleyhood of relegation is low.
The championship sides will be happy because the vast majority will never be able to make the step up but the door isn't entirely closed to those with the resources (money mostly) who are able to mix it with the big boys. A champ side with enough money could beat a poor Prem side even in a two legged game.
The RFU will be happy because it isn't strictly ring fencing
The players might even be happy, if we have an odd number of team in the prem then I assume they get two weeks of the season where there are no games?
The fans should be happy because no prem team will want to have the ball ache of playing in the play off at the end of the season so the league should still remain competitive.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 09:08:54 AM »
It's the two legged final that does it for me. Too stacked in the Premiership clubs hand. I think a one-off final would be better. More opportunity for the promotion seekers to cause a shock. I'd play the final at the promotion seekers ground too. It's up to the Premiership side, with the experience and funding, to prove they are worthy of their place in the Premiership against the upstart.

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 09:38:33 AM »
And at a time when player welfare is meant to be top of the agenda the solution to things still seems to be make them play more games.

Gotta feel sorry for the team bottom of the pile with 2 additional make or break matches to face.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 09:47:33 AM »
It's the two legged final that does it for me. Too stacked in the Premiership clubs hand. I think a one-off final would be better. More opportunity for the promotion seekers to cause a shock. I'd play the final at the promotion seekers ground too. It's up to the Premiership side, with the experience and funding, to prove they are worthy of their place in the Premiership against the upstart.

Or maybe play it at HQ?

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 10:44:53 AM »

Or maybe play it at HQ?

I have always thought there should be a playoff between the Club wanting promotion and the bottom Premiership Club, and  it should be played as double header with the Premiership final.

I only attend HQ if my Club are playing, and I should imagine there are many like me. Therefore don't start selling tickets until all participants are known. That shouldn't be too difficult if they can sell more tickets to Glastonbury, on-line, in 3 hours than HQ can hold.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 10:48:18 AM »

Or maybe play it at HQ?

That would be a good idea.  Agreed that two-legged play-offs are probably too much.  But I guess the theory is that anything could happen on a one-off game I guess, so over two games the aggregate score should be a better reflection of the ‘better’ team.

I have always thought there should be a playoff between the Club wanting promotion and the bottom Premiership Club, and  it should be played as double header with the Premiership final.

I only attend HQ if my Club are playing, and I should imagine there are many like me. Therefore don't start selling tickets until all participants are known. That shouldn't be too difficult if they can sell more tickets to Glastonbury, on-line, in 3 hours than HQ can hold.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2019, 01:39:07 PM »

Extra games shouldn't really be an issue.
It's unlikely that a team at the bottom of the premiership is in Europe or made the latter stages of the cup competitions, so they won't be playing as many games as the top teams.

What gets me about all this is why people think that ring fencing will help domestic player development.
I understand the concern at the moment, with relegation looming, that teams are supposedly too scared to field their youngsters so bring in overseas journeymen with more experience.
However, I really don't think scrapping relegation will make a significant difference

Clubs in the hunt for top 4 will still play their strongest team because they want a play off spot.

Other teams will be pushing to make top 6 so they can get top level European qualification.

The next bracket of clubs will be looking at the euro challenge cup

Best case scenario is 2 clubs adrift at the bottom of the league feel safe so might bring some academy players through for 3 or 4 games at the end of the season
However those academy players are likely to be the best of their crop so would likely have gotten an opportunity anyway

I really don't see it making any major difference to young player development. There's just too much to play for throughout the league

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2019, 07:42:18 PM »
A double header prem play off/prem title at Twickers is a great idea.

Should be a good earner for the RFU too.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2019, 07:46:08 PM »
I think the opposite Shugs.
This keeps the prem teams happy because the likleyhood of relegation is low.
The championship sides will be happy because the
 vast majority will never be able to make the step up but the door isn't entirely closed to those with the resources (money mostly) who are able to mix it with the big boys. A champ side with
enough money could beat a poor Prem side even in a two legged game.
The RFU will be happy because it isn't strictly ring fencing
The players might even be happy, if we have an odd number of team in the prem then I assume they get two weeks of the season where there are no games?
The fans should be happy because no prem team will want to have the ball ache of playing in the play off at the end of the season so the league should still remain competitive.
Yes, fair points baldpaul, I can see how it could work in a different way. Hopefully the play off scenario won't deter would be investors in championship clubs from ploughing money in due to them considering a too difficult path to progression. I think you need some turnover of clubs in the GP (even if it's minimal and not regular) to keep things a bit fresh.