Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps Forum  (Read 18517 times)

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps Forum
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2019, 11:20:34 AM »
I would have thought Saturday would be better for supporters travelling from far and wide, but then Sunday attendances might be higher due to a lot of people/families might be already involved with other rugby activites on Saturday themselves.

I'm not sure why there would be a noticeable difference in kiosk/bar takings around the stadium.. I presume Cain is simply looking at the revenue that hospitality brings in which is more often than not corporate deals rather than the per head income generated by the supporters are sat in the stands.

I can't see  many supporters having many more than a couple of drinks and perhaps a snack and I'm not sure how that would change from a Sat to a Sun.

The hospitality (corporate) side of things probably would be more effected by the game being on a Sunday compared to a Saturday.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 11:24:37 AM by BG »

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2019, 11:24:03 AM »
Why are hospitality sales down? Sunday matches have more kids attending. The bar and food offering is aimed at adults?

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2019, 11:38:41 AM »
Also many of the hospitality covers are corporate invites, and, so I am told, the sort of people who only have Sundays off, and want to spend the day with families rather than business-related events.

Something else we were told.

BT stats show that most rugby matches are watched primarily in the catchment areas of the clubs taking part. Wasps is the exception, the matches having a wider audience than the other Clubs. They think it is to do with the way Wasps played a couple of seasons ago.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2019, 12:03:18 PM »
Why are hospitality sales down? Sunday matches have more kids attending. The bar and food offering is aimed at adults?

When they refer to "hospitality" I think they are referring to the corporate side, so the private boxes and lounges (hotel rooms possibly?)  that are hired out by either wealthy individuals or businesses entertaining clients (who have little or no interest in rugby) so Saturday gives them a lot more flexibility in terms of carrying on the "hospitality" elsewhere through the evening which probably most guests would probably decline if it was a Sunday.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2019, 12:43:01 PM »
Good points there RogerE and BG +1

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2019, 12:44:22 PM »
Pretty much as people are saying Saturday increases corporate / hospitality booking and spend but decreases booking and spend of those involved in junior clubs and vice versa on a Sunday, hence more of a balance of both this season.
There was mention of a package type ticket for those who can only attend Sunday games to be marketed at those still playing, watching or volunteering in junior rugby clubs.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2019, 01:06:31 PM »

I think the club could lay on more benefits for STH's. We aren't exactly short of seating so why don't they offer more enticements for current STH's to invite additional friends and family through the season. Perhaps 2 or 3 free or half price tickets to be used through the season for each STH holder?. At the very least it would add a little extra to drink/food revenue and might create new Wasps supporters

Towards the end of last season they did offer free tickets for a couple of games but for some reason it was really poorly organised as the first offer was announced with about 2 or 3 days notice.

I can't remember if the games were conflicting with another sporting event or something but it all came across as Wasps worrying about attendances for those 2 week-ends.

The problem I had was finding someone to give the tickets to with such short notice. If they were available throughout the season you could plan inviting friends or family

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2019, 01:30:30 PM »

I think the club could lay on more benefits for STH's. We aren't exactly short of seating so why don't they offer more enticements for current STH's to invite additional friends and family through the season. Perhaps 2 or 3 free or half price tickets to be used through the season for each STH holder?. At the very least it would add a little extra to drink/food revenue and might create new Wasps supporters

Towards the end of last season they did offer free tickets for a couple of games but for some reason it was really poorly organised as the first offer was announced with about 2 or 3 days notice.

I can't remember if the games were conflicting with another sporting event or something but it all came across as Wasps worrying about attendances for those 2 week-ends.

The problem I had was finding someone to give the tickets to with such short notice. If they were available throughout the season you could plan inviting friends or family

I'll mention it at the next meeting.

At Adams Park there were various incentives for ST holders: A couple of years there was a year book (still got a couple of spares (2008/9) if anyone wants it). Another year ST holders got a reflink (still use mine at the Ricoh), and another year there was a scarf and beanie hat.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2019, 04:43:46 PM »
I would have thought Saturday would be better for supporters travelling from far and wide, but then Sunday attendances might be higher due to a lot of people/families might be already involved with other rugby activites on Saturday themselves.

I'm not sure why there would be a noticeable difference in kiosk/bar takings around the stadium.. I presume Cain is simply looking at the revenue that hospitality brings in which is more often than not corporate deals rather than the per head income generated by the supporters are sat in the stands.

I can't see  many supporters having many more than a couple of drinks and perhaps a snack and I'm not sure how that would change from a Sat to a Sun.

The hospitality (corporate) side of things probably would be more effected by the game being on a Sunday compared to a Saturday.

I chose against renewing my season ticket for this very reason. I wanted to return to playing, so I didn't see the benefit of renewing. Instead I will be paying for the individual Sunday games.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2019, 05:14:08 PM »

Something else we were told.

BT stats show that most rugby matches are watched primarily in the catchment areas of the clubs taking part. Wasps is the exception, the matches having a wider audience than the other Clubs. They think it is to do with the way Wasps played a couple of seasons ago.

Surely related to the various grounds played at over the years.

W2APS

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2019, 06:41:56 PM »
I'd have thought that too, but only really if the wider viewing base is London/South East based. If it's everywhere then excellent!

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2019, 08:20:16 PM »
Being a uni student and not local to cov, it’s impossible to get to every game/get a ST. It would be nice to be closer to the club through a non-ticket related membership (if that makes sense).

For an annual fee could get priority ticket access, reduced ticket prices and some members only merchandise.

I have this sort of membership for Arsenal and I get an annual members pack with a hat/scarf/gloves (other merch) and some booklet etc, ticket access and access to exclusive video/web content.

It would be great to feel more part of a club that I love without having to attend every game.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2019, 08:23:35 PM »

I exchanged several emails with Stuart on this very subject last season. Stuart was very receptive to the idea, but obviously the Club have to weigh up the benefits.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2019, 07:06:20 AM »

I exchanged several emails with Stuart on this very subject last season. Stuart was very receptive to the idea, but obviously the Club have to weigh up the benefits.

For clubs like Exeter, Bath, and Sarries, there is a possible negative element to giving STH holders a few free bonus tickets over the season due to the lack of spare seats.

That's not a problem for us at the Ricoh so surely more bums on seats is a good thing as long as the freebie handouts doesn't become so large as it starts to effect one off match day sales (or indeed ST sales).

I have an inkling Wasps already hand out quite a few free or subsidised tickets anyway.

As to receiving merchandise etc. This is already partly taken care of by the Buzz Points system, but like me, I wonder who actually ever bothers to redeem vouchers against points accrued?

You can use Buzz Points against  purchasing a ticket but from memory I believe you are restricted to how many points you can use against a ticket purchase.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2019, 12:20:10 AM »
If you can get some real cider in the bars  I will be eternally grateful.....)
Broken but thirsty record, I know.......