Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps Forum  (Read 18525 times)

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps Forum
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2019, 08:24:23 AM »
If you can get some real cider in the bars  I will be eternally grateful.....)
Broken but thirsty record, I know.......

What do you define as real cider?

I think the only chance of something other than a well known "pub" cider is if Wasps sign up a deal with a local brewery similar to the one they have with Purity but then I've heard Bath and Bristol don't offer "real" cider either so there's not much hope other clubs doing so.

King Prawn Phuna

• Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2019, 10:10:37 AM »
If you get 'real' cider in...you'll be putting the toilets out of action for weeks on end ;)
The older I get the faster I was....

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2019, 01:51:11 PM »

I think the only chance of something other than a well known "pub" cider is if Wasps sign up a deal with a local brewery similar to the one they have with Purity but then I've heard Bath and Bristol don't offer "real" cider either so there's not much hope other clubs doing so.

Having organised events for other organisations I know that everyone wants their own favourite tipple, but then having to order, say, a couple of barrels of a particular drink, only to have 2 pints taken from each the Club is then left with a major loss on each barrel.

Unless the

W2APS

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2019, 07:31:11 PM »
Generally speaking with 'cider' the more you've heard of it the worse it is. Rule out Bulmers, Strongbow, Magners, Gaymers, Stella, Rekoerderlig (and other alcopop that definitely aren't cider). I'd start by considering Westons and Thatchers based drinks as the best of the mainstream bunch. I'm personally a big fan of Healeys (Rattler) and Lilley's. Both good ranges of of product that all should like.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2019, 07:59:57 PM »
None of which will be sold at the Ricoh under Heineken so we all need to stop worrying.
Let me tell you something cucumber

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2019, 09:35:05 AM »

Having organised events for other organisations I know that everyone wants their own favourite tipple, but then having to order, say, a couple of barrels of a particular drink, only to have 2 pints taken from each the Club is then left with a major loss on each barrel.

Unless the

Unless the...

Unless the bar staff finish it off?

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2019, 10:38:31 AM »
Cider is difficult subject....fan as I am of 85p a pint farm gate produce - I don't expect to see that in many bars and the like! When beer makes you a little unwell - I can't drink ale anymore - sadly - you put up with a lot of poor product

Thatchers is decent enough but too many of the "options" are drinks that seem like an apple themed alcopop with tooth rotting levels of sugar! But as others note - there are one or two better keg ciders - its just less common the further you get away from the main cider producing areas in Somerset/Devon and Herefordshire. The stuff made elsewhere is often lacking IMO - but its personal taste!

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2019, 12:02:25 PM »
Well I don't expect real cider, but we could definitely improve our fare.

I guess the key point about real cider is that it is still. Wetherspoon pubs stock different ones all over the country, Hallets, the Welsh ciders like Black Dragon, Haymaker etc., Weston's Old Rosie etc. Most carry two even in non cider regions, but it varies and many have more. As cider is now a big south Welsh product we now get about five in every Wetherspoons here, and now a fair few in regular pubs. Whetherspoons  will vary in the different regions- Suffolk, Kent and the West country have a lot of producers.

Some real ciders are made by people who also do the fizzy stuff. Thatchers own Stan's Cheddar Valley, a golden coloured cloudy cider, for example. Gaymer's own barrell Addlestones whilst making some awful stuff. Most real cider manufacturers do a fizzy yellow version, working the other way round.

Fwiw, in the Ricoh they have sold Healy's Rattler, in the fan village. How it got there is beyond me, it was there in two bars this year once. It isn't real cider, but it is a thousand percent better than the current offerings. A way of putting it to real ale drinkers. Heiniken lager is as close to real ale as Strongbow is to cider. We are literally talking different drinks. Tea and coffee. It is a spectrum, of course, but a bottled not-real-but-not-Strongbow/Bulmers/Magners option like Rattler (now sold in Supermarkets all over the UK), Aspalls, or Taffy Appled would be a fantastic upgrade. Bottles certainly will have a longer expiry date and so won't go unsold.

As for other clubs. Bris do Thatchers, sadly, but again at least they do Thatchers' Haze, which is a bit of choice and not Strongbow.
Glaws do Stowford Press iirc, again pretty fizzy and yellow, though the pubs over from Castle Grimm offer a wider choice. Iirc Worc do two fizzy yellow ones.  So it is true, other clubs don't do much better, but they do do a little better, because the three worst drinks on the market are Strongbow, Magners and Bulmers, followed by alcopops like Old Moot and Swedish fruit ciders. It sounds churlish, but the drink selection has influenced my decision on tickets. I can do about eight to ten games a year, home/away, and nowadays I do more away than I used to. To come from  where I work in Llanelli  to Coventry, with no drink at the end beyond tea is just not as appealing, especially as when going to Bath, etc. I know the pubs that do something I like. It is not about favourite tipples, I can't see many Purity ale drinkers complaining if I changed their ale to Doombar or some such, but if I changed it to fizzy lager they would not buy, which is pretty much how I behave when the cider option is Bulmers/Magners/Strongbow.

Anyway I am off by coincidence to Cornwall today.
Happy cider territory.....
Cheers all.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2019, 03:25:32 PM »
That's all pretty fair

I'd have to say that Haze is way too sweet for me! But having lived in the SE for many years and having to put up with the gruesome prospects in most places, I'm pretty relieved to find Gold on offer....considering the options

As for Spoons - I don't generally use them on principle...(sorry to bring politics into drinking...) but that's my choice! But I do live luckily near enough to outlets selling the real thing often enough.

As for what's at the Ricoh, I'll probably be driving/riding to games - so it won't be a deal breaker!

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2019, 09:08:10 PM »
There was a time at Adams Park when Magners sponsored Wasps in some way. Free sample of cider with added ice. I think they were trying to make it a sophisticated drink!

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2019, 05:42:31 PM »
One year at AP, after Magners sodded off, we had Aspall's cider in bottles. I have never been so grateful that a sponsor left us......
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 07:49:05 PM by westwaleswasp »

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2019, 08:27:37 AM »
I wonder which is the bigger market when it comes to cider sales.. old school cider or the new fangled fruit flavoured ciders in bottles  and which would sell more at the Ricoh.

Given the possible low numbers of bar sales of cider I'm wondering whether Purity could team up with a local cider brewery in Warwickshire to supply canned or bottled cider instead of draught reducing the likelihood of half full barrels at the end of each match.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 09:13:14 AM by BG »

Marlovian

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2019, 11:37:41 AM »
Purity do produce a keg cider. Never tried it though....

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2019, 12:20:49 PM »
Has this morphed into the cider thread? Anyway currently supping a Coors Suffolk cider over ice in a central  (Soho) pub. Not my normal tipple but needed something refreshing!

Anyway with Heineken main supporters/suppliers the only stuff you might get will come from the Heineken stable of drinks.

Personally I do not go to rugby to drink so a tea and/or coke zero does me fine.
Let me tell you something cucumber

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2019, 01:01:34 PM »

Anyway with Heineken main supporters/suppliers the only stuff you might get will come from the Heineken stable of drinks.

Heineken don't have a monopoly on what drinks can or cannot be sold at the Ricoh.. have they?

The only time they have a say is when its a Heineken Champions Cup match and I believe Purity aren't allowed to open their stalls.

It looks like another brewery make the cider for Purity. I've not noticed whether their cider is on sale at the Ricoh though.