Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Captain in Joe's absence  (Read 3351 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
Captain in Joe's absence
« on: August 08, 2019, 09:56:53 AM »
Any thoughts on who will be the leader in Joe's absence? Two possibles for me, assuming fit and selected, are Jamma and Gopps.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Captain in Joe's absence
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 10:08:53 AM »
Tom Cruse?

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 10:25:13 AM »
If Brad doesn't go, which now looks likely, I think he has all the credentials. Agree that Gaskell could do a job, not so sure of Gopperth though (or even how much he'll play???), I just prefer a forward to captain the side.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 10:29:52 AM »
Who is to say Joe will be captain for a third year? A more available choice may be made.
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 10:32:36 AM »
I prefer when teams have a leader in the backs, and then a captain/leader in the pack. The issue is who can do both, from a personality POV? Very few I suspect. I was never convinced that Ash could do the captain role (which ash a lot to do with dealing with the ref), but as a leader he is great. Jimmy for me would be the leader for the backs.

From what I saw of Brad before he came to us, he was both. Jamma also stepped up when asked to do this. I can't help feeling that Brad will be at the RWC though. So I would plan for Jamma.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 08:36:41 PM »
I'd go with Shields whether Joe is there or not. JL is one of those who captains because he's an outstanding player rather than an outstanding leader. Shields strikes me as someone who is a natural leader.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 08:47:02 AM »
I'd go with Shields whether Joe is there or not. JL is one of those who captains because he's an outstanding player rather than an outstanding leader. Shields strikes me as someone who is a natural leader.

Certainly he took on the 'Canes captaincy pretty well in the games I saw last season, has some of the bloody mindedness that we do occasionally lack these days.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 09:32:28 AM »
I want the skipper to be certain of their place in the first team. Not sure our back row has candidates who are- there are so many great options to choose from.
It is a tough one, if you make Shields captain, and we go all the way to the Premiership final, two of Carr, Willis, Ashley and Young miss out on a starting slot unless Shields starts in the second row, and that is before we consider the incoming recruits. More importantly the players concerned would all know that. With Launch, all the other locks would know that too but they can't argue, if Joe is fit, he plays. Shields is miles away from that level of security currently.
Shields may also be away during the 6n if things go well for him, so whilst he may be a good candidate, better than Joe, for me he needs to establish that he is the first name on the back row team sheet.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 11:06:31 AM »
Launchers should rightly be the club captain but there should be a group of players that should able to take the on pitch role. Jamma does a good job and I suspect Shields would as well.

I think Jack Willis has something about him that makes me think he could do the job also.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2019, 02:46:02 PM »
Jamma is injured too often to be captain, but would be a great choice.

Goperth is a born leader, you see it on the pitch, so him for me.

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2019, 04:25:43 PM »
I agree that there should be a backs leader and pack leader. Gopps for me is the obvious choice for the backs leader and I think Jamma should lead the pack with JW as his vice pack leader. Start giving JW some responsibility and let him grow as a player and a leader

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2019, 05:22:02 PM »
Happy with Jamma/Gopps, I think both has the respect of both those around them as well as the Referee’s in general.

Agree that Willis is a Captain in the making.  He has the grit, determination and never say die attitude that Farrell seems to have and think he’s the kind of player that players will want to play for.

You can also see from the way he plays, that he’s got a wise head on young shoulders; he rarely makes mistakes, makes good decisions on whether to compete and when to hold back and you don’t see him losing his head and mouthing off.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2019, 07:34:41 PM »
For me all the players say they look at Launch to lead by example and follow his lead which is what you want from a Captain, I still think he’s developing that ref talk that could nudge decisions our way (and last year showed improvements on that front).

Jamma has the experience being the youngest ever prem captain and he has been at Wasps long enough to embody what we want in a player- if he had a better injury record he would be my co-captain alongside Launch.

Shields has the experience so I would be happy with his selection as captain but he is away with England a lot so is missing large chunks of the season.

Jamma has shown that young players can lead and Willis fits that bill, if he was a definite 1st choice starter I’d have him as a captain.

AJ has been a brilliant servant to the club and leads by example but again isn’t a 1st choice.

Gopps May have a good shout to be captain as he is usually injury free and would be in most people’s first choice 15. I also like having a forwards and backs captain.

The fact that we have so many potential captains and leaders in our squad can only be a good thing and I can’t see Dai rocking the boat too much and sticking with Launch but adding Gopps as co-captain.

Jac A

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2019, 09:56:58 AM »
As people have said, within the forwards, we've got a good set of leaders. I've always liked Jamma as a captain, he seems to have a good relationship with refs and clearly has some innate leadership skills. Obviously Ash has captained us quite a bit and Shields may step up more now he is established in the side. Both Willis brothers could be excellent leaders and potential captains too.

I think lack of leadership in the backline was a big issue for us last year. Cipriani was/is a very vocal player who lead the attack really well and he was assisted by Gopperth and le Roux. With both him and Gopperth absent last year, I think Willie was left a little frustrated. Hopefully Sops will have some more confidence, esp with Fekitoa in the team and with Jimmy back there will be more direction in the backs.

Overall, I'd keep Launch as club captain and have Jamma leading when he's playing and then either Shields or Willis, J depending on whose starting.