Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The truth about Dobby's fitness following England World Cup squad snub  (Read 2078 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Dai Young shares his thoughts after England head coach Eddie Jones leaves out scrum half for training squad

From Bobby Bridge.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-news-england-rugby-squad-16604744

I am so pleased to hear that Dobby's DVT has cleared up. Such unfortunate luck for him, but must be a great relief. Though Spencer has played well and taken his chance, I agree with Dai  ;)  Dobby should be on the plane and pushing Youngs for the starting spot. And as for Heinz, how can he be seen as being ahead of a fit Robson?

Stay positive, Dan. You still could be in Japan for the WC.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Heathen

• View Profile
Agreed. He should be on the plane to Japan.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
The Wasps half of me is really pleased to start the season with him available. Obviously disappointed for him, but this is a real boost for the team. It is also great to read an official 'all clear' about the clots. Dai's point makes sense, seems Robson missed his real England chance by one game, continuing the scrum half injury missfortune at Wasps after Simpson's bad luck with injury timing. I hope Vellacott brings a lucky mascot with him!

This also gives Wasps a chance to bring Vellacott in gradually, wonder if they will do the 60min rotation like with Simpson?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
The Wasps half of me is really pleased to start the season with him available. Obviously disappointed for him, but this is a real boost for the team. It is also great to read an official 'all clear' about the clots. Dai's point makes sense, seems Robson missed his real England chance by one game, continuing the scrum half injury missfortune at Wasps after Simpson's bad luck with injury timing. I hope Vellacott brings a lucky mascot with him!

This also gives Wasps a chance to bring Vellacott in gradually, wonder if they will do the 60min rotation like with Simpson?

Fully agree with this on all points - a statement from the club (via CovLive) saying he is clear is a huge boost. I am sorry for Dan but really happy for Wasps that we can start with him (watch EJ pick him now!). Training with Vellacott and Lima has to give us a good start.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 05:17:32 PM by Neils »
Let me tell you something cucumber

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
I'll qualify my posting by making it clear - I am not a Jones fan......

Dobby's position is the reverse of other players who were persevered with  - when the winning run appeared to be more important than developing the team

Looking back at selections - England played Ford and Farrell 10 and 12 from 2016 6Ns through to the 2018 SA tour last year as first choice - only to be abandoned it seemed for 2019

Robshaw, Hartley, Brown, Care - now Jones knew exactly what he was getting after all those early games - yet only injury stopped Care and Hartley going and Brown was on the wing for some weird reason - given the best wing in the Prem was still available....

It seemed panic in selection set in as Daly was not given an opportunity at centre or his Lions position of wing, the Prem's best wing never made a squad and Hughes was played when barely fit and them blamed for his form....it seems from here anyway....

Having won in Aus and won the 6N's at first attempt - there was every ability to experiment - no one could have said a word - but England managed to not take on board the breakdown changes, look rather hopeless at times (2018 6Ns especially) and made changes in a panic - changes that were probably better looked at from 2017 6Ns on  - when Robson and others (Danny ffs last summer and now in the squad - missing these 6Ns!!!) probably needed gametime to bed in.

I want Wasps players in the England side - I am less worried this time around

I admit confirmation bias and plain bias re Jones!

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Am I correct in thinking that we actually don't know if Dobby is or isn't going.

Is the WC squad 31 or 37 players (I may have mistakenly read it was 31 which seems very small).

England don't possess a utility back that can play their normal positon plus 9 (like a Healy or M Para) so you would think the squad will include 3 scrumhalves.

The squad will presumably be announced after the warmup games (when do they take palce and against who) so there's plenty of time for players to still stake a claim.

It will be a disappointment for Dobby but he's only just had a sniff of national selection (compared to Care who seems to have been jettisoned at the very last minute after years of service) also his recent health scare may have put his rugby/life perspective into a different light.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Hope Robson makes it for his sake. But I must admit the thought of having him available to train and develop with Vellacott, Sopoaga etc whets the appetite. Personally I think Vellacott was a fantastic signing and sees us with great sh options.