Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Dai learns from mistakes  (Read 2372 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Dai learns from mistakes
« on: August 01, 2019, 10:17:03 AM »
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Dai learns from mistakes
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 11:00:14 AM »
I get what Dai is saying, but it never seemed to damage us in the past, I think the new format last year meant teams played stronger players and the fact that our proper form was poor compounded it all.

With the Cup being used as preseason, I think again it’s a very different beast to what it was when it was the Anglo-welsh and a lot of teams will have to put out their best XVs in order to play themselves into sharpness and form.

I’m glad Dai is viewing it that way.

Any silverware we try to win is not to be sniffed at

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 08:13:46 PM »
Unsurprisingly I agree with Dai. This was because I spent a lot of time arguing with a lot of people vis-a-vis this issue that just because Dai is the professional coach that does not equate to "Dai always know best". He makes mistakes, as does everyone.  I thought our approach to this competition was a horrible mistake. Yeah, I know, amateur armchair selector and all that. Well it was a mistake, Dai has hinted at this previously and has explicitly said so now,and I for one am glad he has changed our approach. I think our approach the previous season AW was not much better, but as our headline results were going so well and we got the W at Swansea it looked better- perhaps clubs treated it differently as suggested above. Good on Dai for admitting it, and I hope we won't hear any more arguments that rely solely on the fact that the coach is a pro and therefore must be right. I certainly never saw any justification for switching to the team the way we did, beyond the obvious and, of course, correct point that "we don't know the full facts, Dai knows more".   Well done, Dai.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 02:33:52 PM by westwaleswasp »

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 09:07:25 AM »

I applaud Dai for his comments.

However, whether it was ultimately the right or wrong decision is largely irrelevant. What's important is that we learnt some things from it, and that there were some positives to take from it anyway.

If you can get some positives from a mistake and learn some lessons from it too, then it arguably becomes not as bad a decision in the first place

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 09:26:36 AM »
If some of the academy boys who got senior contracts, now go on to have a great season for the senior side, will it have been the right decision? Since it looks like the new approach may mean less game time for the academy.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 02:36:56 PM »
Generally I think if Dai is issuing a mea culpa like this then yes, it was a mistake, regardless of what happens later regatding contracts. Dai did not award contracts on the basis of the prem cup, surely? The article suggests not.