Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wales v England  (Read 4387 times)

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Wales v England
« on: August 18, 2019, 08:41:27 AM »
Really not sure what to get from the game yesterday, or a week ago. I don't think the following are spoilers and the topic should scare off anyone that hasn't seen the game yet.

Two things that stood out for me, one was how upright the tackling was and Dan Biggar literally jumping into Maro Itoji so high that Biggars chest was at Itoji's head height, how that is ok, doesn't follow the letter or spirit of keeping tackle height down.

The other thing that stood out was Billy Vunipola giving George North a wedgy as he held him up, ouch!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wales v England
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 08:58:54 AM »
Well - it showed that England's tactical imagination is - if this is a game to go on - quite limited - press, get ball give it to Billy....

Only having 4 experienced back rowers plus a beginner doesn't look so good an idea when the backrow is likely going to get a lot of injuries and does England really need 6 back three players but no regular full back?

Tactical kicking was poor from England

Reffing poor on offside, breakdown/ruck and scrum - didn't help the look of the game.

Probably one to leave in the vault for viewers and to forget!

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 09:07:31 AM »
Enjoyed a good day out at Cardiff yesterday, £100 for family ticket, also chose to be in the alcohol free zone in North Stand, great view, no constant standing up to let people in and out to the bar / toilets and no standing in beer coloured liquid all over the floor.
Wasn't just young families like ours in there plenty of groups of adults seemed to have made the same decision to enjoy the game without beer related disruptions.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 09:53:45 AM »
Watched it. Felt like I was watching Chiefs vs Sarries. Utter boredom.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 10:18:42 AM »
Don't understand the policy on letting a team take a quick one as we had for the try. If it is from the wrong place then bring it back, sure. But surely nearly every ref would have called it back given England needed to swap 9s for HIA and the ball was played in the direction of the departing player. Does not seem to be much consistency there, seems to set a worrying precedent-perhaps  it is worth those descisions being taken out of the ref's hands.

Was also surprised at the jump.

The match was two bald men fighting over a comb, the quicker they change the laws to make teams like Wales and England ineffective defensively the better.

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 11:29:36 AM »
I thought England lacked imagination, had relatively little possession and too often kicked away what they had, Daly looks so out of form in any position I don't know how he keeps his place (no threat from FB and even Brown would be better than him if that is how he is going to play), Only Watson and occasionally Francis (who IMHO had his best game for England although I still don't think he is up to standard) showed any attacking flair, line speed not as good as at Twickenham where it caused Wales some issues and gave us front foot with offloads.

Jones has taken us to efficient mediocrity IMHO.

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 12:03:23 PM »
England were lacking several key players - Cips, Robson.....

It was dull stuff, wasn't it?

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 12:38:15 PM »
Having watched the first half of the NZ vs Aus and the SA vs Argentina game, what stood out from the officiating side was the quickness of ball, the lack of "lurking" on the wrong side and offside

The same reffing applied in this game would have been an interesting experience....and quite crowded on the "yellow" bench....and the slow ball contributed to the dull game

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 12:47:12 PM »
Jones also confirms his status as the biggest mouth in rugby by commenting on Wales being favourites for the WC due to ranking. When will he learn? Comments on other teams are for winners, Eddie.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 01:32:20 PM »
One thing the two matches have shown is something that we, as Wasps fans, have known for some time.

Daley isn't a fullback.

bournender2

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2019, 05:08:57 PM »
Yep ED positioning for 1/2p chip and chase totally indicative of his lack of fb nous when he was nowhere near its landing

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2019, 06:00:14 PM »
Dreadful game that achieved little for me. We've regressed into a power game that lacks imagination and doesn't get us many points. We had no idea at the breakdown and, as was obvious to virtually everyone but Jones, Daly and Cockanisiga were awful defensively, especially under the high ball. Can't believe we're going into a World Cup with Daly as FB. As mentioned above we're crying out for back rowers and have selected too many back three players.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2019, 06:10:12 PM »
Elliot never has been a full back! I am not sure which is his best position now - OC or wing. In his early days at Wasps, he played well at OC. But he then became too greedy and ignored the wingers out side him. On the wing he has the pace but are there others who are better in this position?

Utility back as a squad member IMHO.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2019, 06:25:57 PM »
Best position  - bench at best as a utility back.
Let me tell you something cucumber

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2019, 07:31:02 PM »
For Wasps last year I agree - utility back on the bench, mainly because he was not up to scratch for us form wise, full stop. Giving Bassett a much-needed rest would have meant more Daly on the wing, though, and I would not have argued. For England, I think 13 or wing, but I can barely recall him at 13 for England. The whole thing is a mess... Daly is not a fifteen and it won't cost us, until, if course, it does.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 07:41:05 PM by westwaleswasp »