Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Kearnan Myall  (Read 7376 times)

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Kearnan Myall
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2019, 03:04:30 PM »

BlackCountryWasp

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2019, 05:34:11 PM »
Depression in its various forms is a nasty, unforgiving thing to have. I know from experience and luckily haven't had an episode for a few years but my 20's and 30's were riddled with them. It doesn't care about what kind of life you have and this article is so powerful and insightful.

Kearnan's story just proves that you can appear to have everything at your feet but you can also be in complete turmoil, the bit about the Quins game summed it up perfectly and it brought back memories of my own.

There now seems to be more people in the public eye, especially men, now speaking out which is good. However, the stigma remains for many and there is still a long way to go.

Hopefully Kearnan's studies will enable him to help others and also help him to deal with his own demons, it would also be fantastic to see him get a Blue in December.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2019, 09:10:23 AM »
Its slightly disappointing that the headline is about England players not wanting to go into camp rather than about a player wanting to take his own life, but I guess that's to be expected. After all rugby outside the 6 nations & the RWC doesnt exist for a lot of people.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2019, 09:51:52 AM »
I'm guessing a lot of people peering into the goldfish bowl from the outside assume that because the players earn more than most of us, that they are earning money from something that probably started out as a hobby/past-time, that they should be happy and content but rugby players as a group will represent a cross-section of the population... but unlike most of us they do live life in a goldfish bowl.

There will be players with alcohol and drugs problems, some might have gambling/money problems.

Some have relative and family problems. Paul Doran-Jones effectively gave up rugby when he and his wife/girlfriend split up and was effectively denied acess to his daughter/son.

Some may be gay (statistically its highly unlikely that there aren't any gay rugby players) and will be struggling with how they might be thought of within the macho world of rugby if they open up.

I hope Myall takes this further with his studies and then can give something back , using his experience to help others find the light at the end of the tunnel.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2019, 01:39:49 PM »
And somewhat predictably - re England - denials are in place....

The England assistant coach, Scott Wisemantel, denied Eddie Jones’s regime is too intense, insisting the management have received no formal adverse feedback.

“In the current environment there have been no complaints,” Wisemantel said.

Hmmm....so would you complain given that would jeopardise your England place?

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2019, 03:20:53 PM »
Some interesting tweets from @RUGBY_STR_COACH on the back of Joe Simpson tweeting Myalls article.

"I loved working in pro rugby but wasps environment comes at a price. Player depression, drug & alcohol use. Players leaving in droves (often for huge pay cuts). Massive staff culture of fear and finger pointing. This is the overdue beginning of the end for that culture."

He also screen shots texts which he says are from a former player (doesn't specify which club but the implication is wasps) - "Got depressed when I was there. Now I've left I feel loads better."

Now some of this doesn't ring true to me: drug & alcohol abuse? Players leaving in droves? Huge pay cuts?
Yet at the same time players are re-signing or joining from other clubs. Some that have left have stated that they wanted to stay.

However, there have been rumours of issues mentioned by external parties with a "source" in the squad before, maybe they were truer than we thought?

RUGBY_STR_COACH is the online coaching website for Keir Wenham-Flatt. He was Academy Strength & conditioning head coach between July 2010 & Jan 2013. As Dai joined in 2011, not sure how much interaction he would have had with Dai at that time & how relevant his views are to the current coaching team & environment, but you would expect him to still be in contact with players he may of coached then so I don't think his views can be totally dismissed

ANy on

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2019, 08:55:15 PM »
Some interesting tweets from @RUGBY_STR_COACH on the back of Joe Simpson tweeting Myalls article.

"I loved working in pro rugby but wasps environment comes at a price. Player depression, drug & alcohol use. Players leaving in droves (often for huge pay cuts). Massive staff culture of fear and finger pointing. This is the overdue beginning of the end for that culture."

He also screen shots texts which he says are from a former player (doesn't specify which club but the implication is wasps) - "Got depressed when I was there. Now I've left I feel loads better."

Now some of this doesn't ring true to me: drug & alcohol abuse? Players leaving in droves? Huge pay cuts?
Yet at the same time players are re-signing or joining from other clubs. Some that have left have stated that they wanted to stay.

However, there have been rumours of issues mentioned by external parties with a "source" in the squad before, maybe they were truer than we thought?

RUGBY_STR_COACH is the online coaching website for Keir Wenham-Flatt. He was Academy Strength & conditioning head coach between July 2010 & Jan 2013. As Dai joined in 2011, not sure how much interaction he would have had with Dai at that time & how relevant his views are to the current coaching team & environment, but you would expect him to still be in contact with players he may of coached then so I don't think his views can be totally dismissed

ANy on

Yes, I read that too and wasn't really sure quite what to make of it. Sadly, you're right to think that this guy may be onto something. The same guy gushes about Saracens in another separate tweet.

However, would you have all our "bigger names" still with us? Thinking Dan Robson (who signed a long term contract last year), Joe Launchbury, Jimmy Gopperth et al. Also, the lads from other Prem clubs , like Ben Vellacott from Gloucs , surely wouldn't have signed for us if our environment was toxic? Either that or Dai has an incredible way with his words...

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2019, 09:36:01 PM »
The same arguments are espoused over Sale vis-a-vis Diamond- how come so many re-sign if he is a bully? I guess one person can react differently to another to the sane stimulus, so a wider picture needs multiple people to its formation. I guess we need more info to begin to get an informed judgement about Sale, and more so for Wasps where we have dealt with rumours more than facts.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2019, 10:25:00 PM »
I think everyone knows who is dropping rumours.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2019, 08:41:15 AM »
Wasn't 2010-2013 when money was basically all gone? And a load of old boys retired etc?

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2019, 10:06:03 AM »

I don’t... who?

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2019, 12:04:11 PM »

I don’t... who?

Neither do I, but I thought I was the only one!!!! ;D ;D

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2019, 12:05:22 PM »
There are at least 3 of us then!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile