Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Kearnan Myall  (Read 7388 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
Re: Kearnan Myall
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2019, 12:34:09 PM »
Hask would be my guess but then, who am I to know!

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2019, 01:20:50 PM »

But Hask wanted to stay with us, wouldn't he look kind of stupid to then start slating the club?????

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2019, 02:12:00 PM »

But Hask wanted to stay with us, wouldn't he look kind of stupid to then start slating the club?????

He didn't like being snubbed by the club. Didn't get what he wanted. Quite bitter, I believe (though he says not).  Judging by his season with Saints, I think we made the correct decision.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2019, 02:35:39 PM »

He didn't like being snubbed by the club. Didn't get what he wanted. Quite bitter, I believe (though he says not).  Judging by his season with Saints, I think we made the correct decision.

None of which necessarily means he has been slating the club. As I said, surely he'd look totally stupid were he to do so???

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2019, 03:40:24 PM »
It is someone who cannot spell "indictment".

Beyond that I think we run the risk of suspicion and repetition creating reality.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2019, 09:16:39 AM »
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2019, 11:10:44 AM »
Interesting article from Ben Ryan

Its a bit like sports - least some sports - are lagging behind in the management of people for performance. But this ought not to be the case - or news. Even playing sports at a decent amateur level showed up those who were better or worse at managing sports sides and I believe my sports experience as a team captain helped me in whatever success I managed in my professional career. But the one thing that stood out was that there were clear limitations to "macho" management and that you nearly always did your best work for managers who stood behind you and supported your success

Now, I was lucky to do an MSc in management, I learned a lot from this as well as a lot from the load of casual jobs I did around being a student. And the key really was - most of the time - to provide positive challenges for people. Nothing was gained from shouting people out - who were having a bad day - it just made them withdraw and perform worse - or in a risk adverse way.....

Whilst Alex Ferguson was famous for the "hairdryer" incidents...his players also knew he was in their corner - otherwise - you'd doubt such a large number of young players would have come through to success. I hope rugby can learn the lessons - given what Kearnan has alluded to in his interview and what Ryan has suggested too. The alternative is not an attractive option.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2019, 11:18:36 AM »
Ben Ryan articulate and considered as always.  He’s a great mind who I wish could be more involved with the England Setup (he won’t because of the RFU).  I’d love to have him at Wasps as a DoR/Head Coach, but think he’s capable of bigger and better things.

The culture he describes in the first part of his article isn’t unique to Sport (and I don’t think he is suggesting it is) there many of the same issues in the corporate world with lots of stories in the Financial, Professional Services and Consultancy markets as well as the tech sector (that I work within). 

Lots is made about culture in the tech sector and you see ever competing US West Coast starts-up talking about free food, offices with everything you could wish for in them, unlimited holidays etc etc etc...

But often the reality is one of high-pressure, unrealistic expectations, many Sales & Marketing employees so finely tuned that they operate on the edge of their sanity (or risk being booted out).  It’s high reward, but high risk and in many of them, there isn’t the same psychological management and care as there is around performance/training.

It’s something that as a society, we need to get much better at embracing mental wellness as much as physical wellness and mental pre-had as such.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2019, 11:27:48 AM »
He talks well on a few subjects, but I'd quite like to see him actually achieve something in XVs before offering him such a major role.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2019, 12:04:48 PM »
I agree its not unique to sports - but away from the madder marketing areas - having worked in and with the finance and consultancy people from the major Firms this side of the water - there is at least a recognition that whilst setting tough targets is a good thing - it does, if you wish for even medium term success, mean taking people with you. And that success is and ought to be a shared experience