Always a Wasp

Author Topic: No Relegation Bid Fails  (Read 1433 times)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
No Relegation Bid Fails
« on: August 30, 2019, 02:06:12 PM »
ESPN reporting that ring-fencing has been rejected Premiership rugby clubs fail to end automatic relegation https://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_/id/27497250/premiership-rugby-clubs-fail-end-automatic-relegation
It was fine when I left it.....

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: No Relegation Bid Fails
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 07:25:06 PM »
Reading between the lines it seems certain this will still happen with it just being a question of when / how much extra cash the lower league clubs feel they can hold out for. I'm still unsure if it's a good thing or not. Mind you I thought it was a great idea about March time this year!

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: No Relegation Bid Fails
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 09:03:13 AM »
From a theoretical standpoint I don't agree with the "ringfencing" idea. There has to be a reward for finishing the best in your league and conversely there should be consequences for being the worst.

Something though has to change with the current situation as the club being promoted is always going to be at a disadvantage because more often than not they won't know if they will certainly be promoted until late April or more likely end of May.

Until a club knows for certan they can't sign new players and by May or June the pickings are going to be very slim.

Having a play-off makes this even worse as it extends the uncertainty.

Maybe have relegation/promotion every 2 years to try and give a newly promoted club time to bed in. A lot of the clubs in the championship simply don't have the facilities or income to compete though so someting needs to be addressed to help with the transition. That being said when was the last non PRL share owning club promoted? Exeter? What seems to happen is one of the 13 PRL share owning clubs is relegated and another PRL share owning club is promoted. I presume a PRL club in the Championship (LI last season) still gets a share of the PRL money pot.

I also think the PRL need to crackdown on clubs and their finances. I presume from the start of this season CVC will be taking their 27% share of the money pot which means year on year the clubs will be getting less money if CVC don't manage to increase the EPL income by the same 27% (I'm not sure my maths is correct there, as CVC will still be taking a 27% share of the 27% increase??)

Most clubs run at a loss and rely on wealthy benefactors but how long is that sustainable. There are only so many rich sport/club owners out there. Leicester have lost their 2 rich owners (or will do when they find a buyer)

The salary cap is there for a couple of reasons - to stop clubs from spending themselvs into oblivion (Richmond) and to try and keep a level playing field.. but the deafening silence about how Nigel Wray seems to have found a way to pay some of his top stars more money worries me as other clubs will start to do the same even though they can't probably afford to do so.

I've been reading with interest the shenanigans going on with Bolton Wanderers and Bury... and of course we know about CCFC's current position. Will we see a similar thing happen to one of the PRL clubs within the next few years?