Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Still no planning application for the new training site  (Read 2204 times)

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Still no planning application for the new training site
« on: September 03, 2019, 11:15:35 AM »
Was looking today on the planning portal. Nothing. nada.

There is very little chance of moving in to the new site by Summer 2020. The 2 year extension (to Summer 2021) to stay at Broadstreet now seems realistic. In fairness, if the application went in now and went smoothly, they might move over after Christmas 2020 and not wait till the season end, but I wouldn't put any money on that.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Still no planning application for the new training site
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 11:38:26 AM »
At the supporters forum, environmental issues and surveys were given as the reason for the delay but still a project definitely being continued.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 11:43:57 AM »
Good to know, but these delays will mean a later than hoped for move.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 11:52:03 AM »
Bloody newts!
Having been involved in similar planning issues for many years we always breathed a big sigh of relief when enviro matters were signed off. As the years went by it got more and more stringent with one job been held over 14 months due to two different type of bat. Hopefully these are genuine excuses from the club.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Staines Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 11:55:25 AM »
My feeling is until this EU complaint by SISU is hopefully thrown out, any major infrastructure investment is probably on hold anyway whether planning permission is given or not.

DW has invested a huge amount in the club and Ricoh already but if it was your business would you risk spending more £millions when a bunch of lawyers and bureaucrats my come up with a strange decision that could give a huge bill or force the whole thing into bankrupcy?

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 08:01:52 PM »
My feeling is until this EU complaint by SISU is hopefully thrown out, any major infrastructure investment is probably on hold anyway whether planning permission is given or not.

DW has invested a huge amount in the club and Ricoh already but if it was your business would you risk spending more £millions when a bunch of lawyers and bureaucrats my come up with a strange decision that could give a huge bill or force the whole thing into bankrupcy?

Seems a likely approach

(Are you a Staines resident? I'm originally from the town...!)

Staines Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 09:04:16 AM »
Hi Mike, yes a proud resident of Staines-upon-Thames, the undiscovered jewel of the Thames Riverside!

Sadly not many Wasps around here though. Deep in sequin territory but never let that bother me. Also a few London Irish, particularly quite a few youngsters who are obviously heading to training in Sunbury some nights a week. The not nots seem to have a good youth set-up so guess a good thing to see, particularly as Wasps are a bit far away!

No room in my garden for training facilities, but the green over the road may have possibilities!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 10:43:27 AM »
I'll always have a soft spot for the area, I moved out when I was 11 but lived within 10 miles for 45 years in total - before becoming an immigrant to the West Country! You can tell a local - its someone who doesn't look up when a plane goes overhead!

London Irish always had a pull in the area - though it was a bit of a fight with the then Richmond and London Scottish - back in the day.

I'm surrounded by Bath and Bristol fans....if I need a fix, I moonlight at Glaws - easier to get into and Saint Danny to enjoy!