Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Vailanu  (Read 2167 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Vailanu
« on: September 07, 2019, 10:03:24 AM »
Just watching the AB v Tonga and noted our new No 8 is not in the playing squad. Nor does he appear to be in the WC announced squad which I thought he was in. However I dont remember seeing him in any of our training videos. Anyone any ideas?
Let me tell you something cucumber

Jac A

Re: Vailanu
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 12:11:57 PM »
I've been a bit surprised by this too. He was great against Canada last month but I haven't heard or seen anything since. I can only assume he picked up an injury but that hasn't been mentioned at all. Real shame for him.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 08:51:45 AM »
Tonga hierarchy took the view that he was behind stronger players. Article also calls him out as still being at the EAs. This was written ahead of the spanking by the ABs. He isn't injured just dropped.

"Backrow is a bit of a strength positioning for us," Kefu said. "We've got a lot of depth in that area - second row is where we're probably a little bit light but certainly Sione Vailanu was very unlucky and he only missed out due to the profile of that backrow."

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/398000/sport-ikale-tahi-bolter-a-player-of-the-future
It was fine when I left it.....

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 10:00:32 AM »
And Dai didn't mention him in his interview when talking about those at the RWC. A shame for the player but good for Wasps pre season prep. I still think it might come down to T Willis or Carr at eight but Vailanu could be a really exciting player to make an impact off the bench.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 11:26:45 AM »
I think he has been with the WC squad for most of this time so will need some catch up time.
Let me tell you something cucumber

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 03:54:27 PM »
Obviously disappointing for him, but good news for us. I have high hopes for this guy, a real unit, he could do real damage if he fulfils his potential.