Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match thread  (Read 5291 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
Re: Match thread
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2019, 08:11:15 AM »
I was not sure if playing Sarries first up was good or bad. I now realise that it was probably the latter but it appears to have exposed the serial weaknesses in rugby that Wasps play.

I was not at the game so will abstain from making any comment about the match - others have summed it up very succinctly.

It was very evident last week that no matter which Sarries team you play, the players have all bought into and been well drilled in the structured Sarries way of playing. It means that they can seamlessly slot players in and out of the team with any disruption. A huge positive IMHO.

Wasps have been very dependent in recent seasons on quality individuals who have the X factor that could change or win a game. Last season we lacked those and as a consequence, underperformed. Until we see the new recruits fully fit and bedded in, we will not know what this season holds in store. Are there any X factor players amongst them? Time will tell.

I still have major reservations about our defensive capability. A new defence coach must have been top of Dai's shopping list during the Summer. The failure to recruit one does not bode well for the future. The reasons why we did not recruit one must be concerning. A number of seriously high profile names were discussed, but all would appear to turned us down. If we want to get back to top 6 let alone top 4, our defensive structures have to be sound. In my opinion, our current coaching set up does not deliver these.

If we do not get these defensive structures sorted then achieving top 6 looks a bit iffy.

Positive momentum is everything in sport - just look at the malaise that our run of defeats caused last season.

Hopefully that can be reversed at FG next week.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2019, 09:43:32 AM »
Just watching Ireland v Scotland;
Spoiler
Watching Scotland reminds me of watching Wasps. Sadly starting to think that the risk of speed and flair is loosing against strength, organisation and analysis by some way. I really hope Wasps find a way to keep some speed and flair and prove that it can be done.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2019, 06:59:11 AM »
I've watched most of the games so far (albeit its been on in the background whilst I'm doing something else) at the WC and NZ and SA seem to be a step ahead in terms of handling skills and ambition. A lot of the sides (esp NH) seem to be playing very conservative kick and chase. All very well and good if you have a 9 that can box kick and have willing chasers.

I really hope the WC isn't won with those type of tactics

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2019, 10:20:42 AM »
Back to the game and not the RWC.

One of our biggest failures was in the tackle breakdown contest.

I was puzzling over the Sarries tackle method to see if it was rule breaking, and decided it was not. It was a lesson in how coaching done at its best can unpick the oppositions attack.

I haven't watched replay footage, but this is what it looked like to me. Three defenders make the tackle. The middle one tries to stay upright and stops momentum. The left and right defender shepherd the player into that 'stopper'. As soon as the attacker is paused, one player hits at shoulder level to knock the player over sideways and slides down the body to tether the feet, as the attacker falls the tackler from that side falls so that the tackled players legs are under the tacklers body at waist level with the now released making a nuisance of themselves to arriving players, but not touching the ball. The other defender has fallen over the tackled players head and shoulders, also burying him. The ball has been left clearly available to the attackers, but none can get to it because the tacklers at shoulder and feet are making it hard to get in. The tackler that first blunted the attackers run now gets over the ball. He can't be turfed out from the side as the other two tacklers are lying/crouched in the way.

It was simply the clinical way they did it over and over again And the woeful way that a Wasps player went into contact where the three tacklers were waiting with their trap. With no support latched on. That would have been the only way to counter such a defense. Got the ball? Can't pass, or not going to pass? Do NOT try to bash through on your own. Not only will you lose the ball, you will give away a penalty and points. Can that be coached? Evidently yes, as Sarries did it all match.

They appeared to do it over and over again. It stops an offload. It slows down support. It leaves the ball available to the attackers teammates. It stops the clearout of the jackal. The jackal is the original tackler (first one to make contact with the attacker), and it gives him time to regain his feet if needed. When Booj tried to break through their line (he never succeeded), as soon as he tried this, the two line players either side snapped into this tackle mode and robbed him of the ball.

Every player on the pitch needs to understand this. Trying to run through an almost certain tackle is pointless, and will either lose your side the ball, or give away a penalty. Sevens players understand this. It is called patience. Sarries had that all game.

Does this tactic create an offence? No need to roll away as the ball is 'available', so my guess is no. Can we adapt? Next game will see, but my guess is not. We seem stuck into this idea we can run our way into the lead.

See how England have adapted to take advantage of the drawback to the Sarries defensive tackling tactic? Kick over them into space and chase. Jocob tried this a couple of times and got it badly wrong. Training, time and good coaching. These are skills that can be learned.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2019, 10:42:16 AM »
The ball has been left clearly available to the attackers, but none can get to it because the tacklers at shoulder and feet are making it hard to get in. The tackler that first blunted the attackers run now gets over the ball. He can't be turfed out from the side as the other two tacklers are lying/crouched in the way.

I haven't seen it, but from your description doesn't the actions (or non actions) of the tacklers contrary to:

Law 14.5 a to e (the tackle), and

Law 15.15 (ruck)

And it would appear to rely upon the Prem refs not complying with the Laws as written?

May be wrong as I haven't seen it - but watching SH rugby, if the tackler/co tackler don't actively move, they get immediately pinged

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2019, 10:59:34 AM »
Those were my first thoughts, and yet the ref repeatedly ignored the players lying there.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2019, 11:41:21 AM »
Those were my first thoughts, and yet the ref repeatedly ignored the players lying there.

Such is Prem reffing and hence the confusion in the England team when pinged for hands in ruck etc this very week! ....seems the Prem refs are not facilitating compliance with the Laws. I seem to remember there was some agreement over "local" interpretations. The outcome was the loss for England at Murrayfield in 2018 when reffed out of the game at the breakdown.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2019, 01:51:24 PM »
Rugby World Cup 2019: 'Officiating not good enough' - World Rugby.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49810476

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2019, 02:10:56 PM »
At least we appear to be on telly this weekend of BT Schedules are correct. For those that don't go to the Ricoh it will give them a chance to see a full 80+ minutes. Hope we play better.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2019, 02:22:23 PM »
Thanks Neils. Was hoping that it would be as I will not be going to a live game until Oct 12.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2019, 02:28:53 PM »
Thanks Neils. Was hoping that it would be as I will not be going to a live game until Oct 12.

And dad and I are a lot closer to you John, in Stand B, Row P, 4/5, and parking in Car Park A.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2019, 09:28:40 AM »

And dad and I are a lot closer to you John, in Stand B, Row P, 4/5, and parking in Car Park A.

Did you get your new cards?

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2019, 11:18:32 AM »
Yes, plus more pin badges, holder and lanyards.