Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Saints game thread  (Read 15678 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Saints game thread
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2019, 09:57:46 AM »
Interesting interview with Billy Searle in TRP where he says the position is between him and Lima. Also a Fissler note that Wasps are looking at No 10s for next season which I find strange but maybe precautionary.
Let me tell you something cucumber

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2019, 10:24:43 AM »
I am just happy for the W and not much more on the injury front.
I don't think I will read too much into this game, nice to see fresh faces and some cobwebs blown off more familiar ones. Some nice hands and a bit of confidence from some, but then it is easy to have a go in the prem cup.

It is a little trite to say it, but I think we will be in the mid table chasing pack this year, if I am being optimistic I would say 3rd/4th, pessimistic 7th/8th. Not really going out on a limb, and not a very insightful contribution I know.

I don't think injuries are unusually unkind to us as many do - it is just that the top teams deal better with them than we did last year. Most fan sites say the same thing from Bath to Tigers, everyone feels the injuries. It remains to be seen how well we cope this year, I am cautiously optimistic.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2019, 10:39:20 AM »
Interesting interview with Billy Searle in TRP where he says the position is between him and Lima. Also a Fissler note that Wasps are looking at No 10s for next season which I find strange but maybe precautionary.

I think ... I hope ... that Wasps have learned their lesson with expensive imports from the SH. I suspect Lima will go after his contract has run. We will see if Fekitoa does the same. Depends how well he fits in. Shields I think will stay.

With Billy and Jacob, I can't see the need for an imported 10. We still have Rob as a backup 10 as well.

12 is the problem position. Seeing his style and power, I wonder if Odogwu could play at 12? We have too many wingers now. Booj is not good enough in defence, and not powerful enough to bully his way through.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2019, 10:52:55 AM »
A little bit presumptuous from Searle.

As to rumours around Wasps looking for another 10 for next season - It's always good that a club is looking for new talent. Lima nd his family may have not settled but I thought he had signed a 3 year deal?

Maybe the cameras have better things to focus on but I've not seen Gleeson on the sidelines?

For those who didn't see the game, these are the highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh8E4MhzKcU

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2019, 11:04:15 AM »
I thought it was interesting/ unusual to see Blackett sitting with Dai on Saturday albeit with watching the game through his fingers in one shot. Likewise didn't see Gleeson but thought I saw him at the Ricoh pitch side.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2019, 02:16:55 PM »

I think ... I hope ... that Wasps have learned their lesson with expensive imports from the SH. I suspect Lima will go after his contract has run. We will see if Fekitoa does the same. Depends how well he fits in. Shields I think will stay.

With Billy and Jacob, I can't see the need for an imported 10. We still have Rob as a backup 10 as well.

12 is the problem position. Seeing his style and power, I wonder if Odogwu could play at 12? We have too many wingers now. Booj is not good enough in defence, and not powerful enough to bully his way through.

I agree with you on the 10 but as I stand today I don't see Searle as a starting 10, so its a quandary. I'd like to see more of Jacob, not sure how it fits tho. I'm happy for Lima to seek other opportunities if that is the case. Fissler comment i'll take with a salt dose, its way to early in the game for that quote.

Odog at 12 I dunno, not sure he has the appetite for the tackle, he has the body for sure but... I'd like to see  a couple of cup games at 12 to validate that thought, I could be wrong. I do know he isn't a starting wing.

WickedWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2019, 05:59:27 PM »
The result was important for the confidence of a largely new squad of players. I still feel 12 is our weakness and have fears that there is lots going on off the field that means we have been unable to replace some of the talent we have lost in recent years. There is no way the playing budget is what it was and I also fancy the same restraints are being seen in the coaching set up.
Having said that I am excited to see what a young exciting new crop of players can produce. Impressed with Umaga who seems very confident and willing to try things at 10. Same goes for a number of other young players making the step up such as the 9 who played and Spink etc.
Zizzi is fast becoming one of my favourite players in the pack. He will soon have a very exciting highlight reel for someone in the front row.
My frustrations from yesterday... our in ability to defend in the wide channels. Both our wings too often found themselves on their heels or caught between jamming in and staying wide. I actually dont think our defence in the tight is as bad as it might seem but teams are confident enough to go wide against us early and it pays off. I wonder if it's a vicious circle the more nervous we get defending the tighter we get and the worse we get at defending the more teams are willing to throw it wide against us. A lot of the time though it seems one on one tackling that is the issue and not so much systems. Also think we could he a lot smarter at ruck time. Too often we are not savvy enough. A lot of other prem teams are very savvy in this area. In attack I notice Exeter seem to lay on the ball waiting for support before placing it back and in defence a second tackler often gets involved in the tackle just for the sake of cluttering the clear out allowing for a third player to tackle. I know refs have tried to clamp down on my second point but still teams do it way more effectively than us.

All in all excited for the season ahead but I think results wise it might not be much different to last year but difference is we are rebuilding rather than dismantling a squad.

COYW

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2019, 07:46:37 PM »
Yes, I thought Lima was on a three year deal - maybe wrong. It's possible we might be looking at 10's due to the severity of Searle's injury rather than Lima's (perceived) lack of form. I agree with NWW I'd like to see a straightforward 12 signed. We've been pushing square pegs into round holes there for too long. I dont see Odogwu being anywhere near good enough defensively to play there. I'd be going with JdJ until Jimmy is fit.

Green Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2019, 12:54:53 AM »
Would like to see Neale given a crack at the 12 shirt. He was always a 12 at Irish but was behind Johnny Williams in the pecking order. Got moved to 13 at Scottish to partner Ben Mosses.

Jac A

« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2019, 08:15:04 AM »
Only managed to watch the game last night after a busy weekend. Brilliant win, I like Saints but I do like winning away at theirs!
I think everyone has covered most of the points: team played well, good individual performances, nice to see the youngsters showing what they can do. I've got a few things I noticed though.

When the teams came out, I was expecting us to be battered. That was a pretty strong Saints team and isn't far off the team that will play their first few Prem games.

The Ref - Refs have had a bit of stick over the world cup and on several platforms I've seen criticism of them for both our games so far. That's fine, not problem pointing out mistakes etc but I think we should remember that these guys are new and are learning, new referees have to start out somewhere and they are going to make a few mistakes etc. I thought that on the whole he managed the game on Saturday well and helped make it an entertaining spectacle, got the big calls right and will improve with time.

Defence - I know it's difficult to ship that many tries and say D was good but it was better. For the headed assist , our scramble defence had done a good job and if the pass had been a fraction lower it would have come off Grayson's shoulder and been turned over. Eadie's intercept was 80% great play from him 20% bad play from us but not a defensive error and their two last tries were down to a rampaging Naiyaravoro. We forced a lot of errors and out defence of our line at the end was very good. I agree with WickedWasp that we struggle when teams go wide quickly (though that may have been Spink's inexperience in rushing up at 13)

Discipline - 12 pens, 8 in open play (I think). Spread around - offside, hands in the ruck, couple of not releasing. Not bad, certainly better. Valianu setting off without support has been mentioned.

Set Piece - Not as good as last week but I imagine it was low down the list for training and Alo is not as good a scrumager as Brookes. Their line out also had four genuine jumpers and that may have meant we went for a more conservative approach to secure ball which made the maul less effective. Not bad though and I think with Brookes back it will be a good weapon for us.

Like others, I was impressed with Sam Wolstenholme, quick thinking, good rugby brain, fast hands and good crisp passes but there were a couple of problems (understandable he's 20 and 4th choice), box kick was awful (led to two tries and we never got close to completing with any of them bar one) and defence was iffy. He'll get better though and I'm less worried about 9 now.

Jacob is really growing into the first team. He was standing flat, taking the ball to the line and his passing was good, one try, one assist and a key role in two more. Love his attacking intent and quick thinking. Shame his kicking was so off but I was encouraged. I really hope he stays and establishes himself.

Sam Spink had a decent game. Couple of very good runs - he seems to favour a power run rather than an arc - and tackled well. He did go missing a bit though. I'd like him to come looking a little bit more and try to make himself available as a support runner as I think his hard running would be great off an offload.

After an awful week for Wasps last week, this had been very welcome.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2019, 09:26:39 AM »
I can't see Paulo operating at 12. Players tend to find themselves picked as wings because they can't operate in the tight, claustrophobic confines of the midfield off first phase and probably don't have the ball handling skills.

Whoever suggested Neal at 12 is a good shout. We've seen that he can adapt to different positions. I have a feeling that Gopps may pick up injury after injury as he struggles to fit back in.

Dai admitted last season that they probably were relying on Gopps being fit and finding previous form but yet again he's not done anything about finding a suitable replacement.

I can't see anyone in the academy coming through in that position as well.

If Lima and Searle become available I wonder if Dai will think about trying one of those along with Jacob at 12 at some point.

Searle and Jacob seem to prefer playing flat and accelerating onto the ball to tie defences in, whereas Lima seems to prefer sitting back in the pocket which might be more suitable at 12  as he will be then be able to pick his passes

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2019, 09:39:29 AM »
I think Jacob to 12 would be insane. He is quite slight and I don't think he could stop much coming at him for long. Neal is a far better option and should be looked at in the next two games.
Looking again at last week our wingers got very little ball to show anything and that is a worry. I am also less pessimistic about Jimmy but do think once fit he will be rationed as the season comes to its conclusion.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2019, 11:05:16 AM »
Just tried watching the full match on the Premiership Rugby website, but no matter which browser I try (Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Edge, IE) it won't play - getting messages like "file not found" or "unsupported MIME type".

Has anyone succeeded at watching it?

The Highlights do seem to be working ok.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2019, 11:42:59 AM »
The full match has been taken down..

https://vod.prtv2.aka.oss1.performgroup.com/NorvWas20190928-0.mp4

.. which is where it was hosted

I'm guessing PRL can't afford proper video hosting space.. a game should only be 3Gb max .. perhaps the clubs have to chip in to PRL to keep their vids live on the PRL website but clubs would prefer people to go to a game.. but that might be counterintuitive

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2019, 11:49:26 AM »
Hi,

It appears Sotic (who maintain the PRL site)  have had several reports of both Full Matches for this weekend not working.

Hopefully will be uploaded correctly so I can watch it!

« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 03:02:21 PM by RogerE »