Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Matteo Minozzi  (Read 2806 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Matteo Minozzi
« on: October 15, 2019, 09:22:38 AM »
When Italy's Rugby World Cup star Matteo Minozzi could make Wasps debut

Bobby Bridge reports.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-rugby-matteo-minozzi-italy-17084888
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Matteo Minozzi
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 12:09:03 PM »
If he's hit the ground running, he might well be ready for an outing, perhaps from the bench asap?

Not sure what its like for pros, only having been a keen amateur club/uni player, but if I'd have arrived fit and off the back of a lot of training with Italy, I'd really want to get on the pitch with my new club mates!

egg shaped man

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 02:15:26 PM »

I think we would all like to see him playing as soon as possible, but how long does it take 'new-boy' to learn the Wasps processes ?  Do we remember how long it took a certain SA to bed down at FB and before 'the fans' stopped giving him grief.  Is there such a thing as a Wasps play-book will they all be new for this season ?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 07:08:51 PM »
Watson's performance at 15 at the weekend and our increased wing options give us the option of easing Minozzi in. I'd be surprised if he's in the squad for Saturday although he does have the advantage of covering all back three positions so you never know!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 07:52:15 PM »

I think we would all like to see him playing as soon as possible, but how long does it take 'new-boy' to learn the Wasps processes ?  Do we remember how long it took a certain SA to bed down at FB and before 'the fans' stopped giving him grief.  Is there such a thing as a Wasps play-book will they all be new for this season ?

True, but Charles made a massive impact the first time he stepped onto the pitch.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 09:26:42 PM »
Watson's performance at 15 at the weekend and our increased wing options give us the option of easing Minozzi in. I'd be surprised if he's in the squad for Saturday although he does have the advantage of covering all back three positions so you never know!

I'd be cautious of Watson at 15, the quality of the balls he may field against a top side might see him unstuck given his previous high ball skills. FB space would be well used by Watson but constant bombardment could be an issue. Mind you, as I type this I'm reminding myself that Miller is hardly a ball limpit at FB.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 09:54:29 PM »
And, Watson returned a lot of ball back by running at them at speed on Saturday. They started putting up high short distance ball to Kibirige, who was by far the weakest in the air of our back three, instead of the longer balls. There are quite a few FBs who teams learn not to kick to. I suspect Watson would be one, if he had time to develop.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 02:18:49 PM »
I dont disagree, could be a revelation...but as he appears a confidence player, I air on caution on this one.
Space does suit him though, so I can see it

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 02:43:18 PM »
I think that Rob is good under the high ball.  In my view he doesn't shirk a tackle and positions well. Didn't really understand your concern Hypno.  Can't comment on Kibiirige.  Didn't see more than highlights but he looked good from what i saw.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 06:47:12 PM »
Sorry Rob for me if fit. Superb player with games under his belt. Never let us down really.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 07:02:49 PM »
I think that Rob is good under the high ball.  In my view he doesn't shirk a tackle and positions well. Didn't really understand your concern Hypno.  Can't comment on Kibiirige.  Didn't see more than highlights but he looked good from what i saw.
I didn't have a concern about Rob, think you read it wrong.
I have no comment on Kibirige as I wasn't there either but he was in the highlights for all of 4 sec's, so you shouldn't have an opinion based on that either.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2019, 08:10:13 AM »
I think we’ll see Rob play in the games against Sarries/Exe as the games are much more attritional and will depend on a reliable man under the high ball.

Where the game might be more open, I’d have Minozzi/Watson to exploit the counter attack and add to our strike runners.

Minozzi was brought in as an international fullback though so don’t be surprised if he wins the 15 shirt for all games.

Wonder if having Miller in the 22 shirt will allow more flexibility off the bench though as he can cover fly half, wing and full back, allowing us another centre on the bench or a 6/2 split when necessary