Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Cheslin Kolbe makes me wonder what could have been ...  (Read 4311 times)

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Cheslin Kolbe makes me wonder what could have been ...
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2019, 06:31:47 AM »
I find myself split on the Wade issue. Firstly I think he left in a far worse way than Daly. In contract, just after the start of the season, few other options. Had he simply gone at the end of the prior season I'd have had no issue at all. In terms of performance he was electric and should definitely have had more caps. His defence was on par with most wingers of his generation.

TBH both Wade's and Daly's moves leave's a slightly sour taste as both moved mid contract (Wade's decision leaving Dai no chance to replace him) and I'm wondering whether the balance of power between club and players is slightly shifting towards the players (top end stars).

If a player wants to leave a club mid-contract they simply have to make themselves persona non grata within that club who have no alternative but to let them go before a non compliant and non-performing player starts affecting the rest of the squad, so in that sense I don't think you can balme Dai for letting both leave but I'd hope there was some sort of recompense towards the club for the player breaking their contract.

Did Sarries or Daly have to buy himself out of his contract I wonder?

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2019, 08:05:32 AM »
I’ll admit I’m sensitive to Wadey criticism as he was the first club idol I had, as a younger fan Wadey was a constant in my support of Wasps.

Even when he wasn’t in form, he was still so important to the team as defences would be keeping an eye on him. No surprise Daly and Bass scores so many tries down the left wing when Wadey came off his own wing. Defenders would get drawn into him and open space/holes on the far side for Daly and Bass to exploit.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2019, 08:53:56 AM »
Not really poor. I don't need to review records as i saw the games and in terms of contribution, much like fiver, often made little impact. I can grab a load of stats and make them tell what ever story I want too.
I think you can determine what an average side is without explanation.
I understand people are sensitive to criticism of Wade. Outside of the Wasps community he isn't as idolised as he is here as much as he is recognised for his talent and that alone tells a story.
I am able to remove my wasps glasses quite easily and I can honestly say MY Opinion is he wasn't as good as he's made out to be...consistently anyway. He scored alot of tries admittedly, but that's not the whole story. He got overlooked by Intl coaches for a reason, mainly because he wasn't complete enough, he excelled in some area's and was damn average in others.
Another statement that will upset Wade groupies, I don't think he should be held in such esteem either. He left the club hanging mid season with no notice, mid contract and showed no respect to his employer...bit of a dickmove in my books. I wish him well but don't buy into the 'hard done by' mantra, he was where he deserved to be.

I too didn't like the way he left either.

I'd guess we'd disagree about who he scored against and if they were "average" and the stats do refute that the scores were any more biased than anyone else vs better teams. I'd guess May's record vs Sarries isn't great! But its probably not the greatest effort is it, if you make a assertion that can be at least reviewed by the stats, and they don't really make a strong case to support your assertion suggesting then stats can tell any story. All I've done is look at his scoring record, which doesn't seem to support the initial assertion

Then  - if you're really saying he wasn't a complete enough player - then fine - that's a more than reasonable offer - but a little hint of moving those goal posts?

But like Goode, who did get a chance, and wasn't quite up to it - I personally would have liked to have known. His form probably meant he didn't get a chance, going from England tour to the Lions - Gatland thought him worth the call - after a good game on tour vs Argentina and 18 tries in 26 games for us that season before the injury problems later on

My personal view is that like May - he'd have developed in the international squad as May was pretty one dimensional early doors - or like others - quickly dropped off the radar, c.f. Denny S.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 09:32:41 AM by mike909 »

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2019, 09:23:11 AM »
Not really poor. I don't need to review records as i saw the games and in terms of contribution, much like fiver, often made little impact. I can grab a load of stats and make them tell what ever story I want too.
I think you can determine what an average side is without explanation.
I understand people are sensitive to criticism of Wade. Outside of the Wasps community he isn't as idolised as he is here as much as he is recognised for his talent and that alone tells a story.
I am able to remove my wasps glasses quite easily and I can honestly say MY Opinion is he wasn't as good as he's made out to be...consistently anyway. He scored alot of tries admittedly, but that's not the whole story. He got overlooked by Intl coaches for a reason, mainly because he wasn't complete enough, he excelled in some area's and was damn average in others.
Another statement that will upset Wade groupies, I don't think he should be held in such esteem either. He left the club hanging mid season with no notice, mid contract and showed no respect to his employer...bit of a dickmove in my books. I wish him well but don't buy into the 'hard done by' mantra, he was where he deserved to be.

Saw the games as well and whilst I agree about the leaving thing as I think both Wade and Daly screwed over the team that gave them their break, I also think Wade should have had many more caps, or at least given a decent chance.

The try stats don't tell the total story anyway as in a number of games when Wade had the ball and had run at the defence, he had drawn in numerous defenders which left it open elsewhere for others to take advantage, be it an off load the following phase. The fact Wade was on the pitch and could potentially do something gave the opposition a headache, which helped Wasps.

He got constantly derided for his defense, never sure it was as bad as it was made out, as people just jumped on that bandwagon. I'd also say that if you look at May or Solomona their defence was as bad or worse. (at the time, as I think May has improved, Solomona not so sure).

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2019, 02:55:54 PM »
It's funny that the tone of feeling seems to be less animosity to Wade's leaving than Daly's and mostly it seems because Wade didn't get his shot with England. I always thought leaving the England tour to jump at a Lions midweek match was a mistake, who knows if it would have made a difference, but he'd certainly have had at least 1 more England cap to his name.

At the the time he left it was reported that Daly had a break clause (whether for training facilities or not) and that he exercised the break, and so he did not walk out on a contract. Wade very much did.

ricohchezwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2019, 04:29:12 PM »
I don't seem to have the same animosity/disappointment about the leaving of either Wade or Daly that some on here are showing. Although I greeted his parents at the Argentina game with the "not sure I should be talking to you now you are with the enemy" we had a good chat / laugh and as it turned out Daly was probably the best player on the pitch that day..... My view is that you only have one life and you need to get on with it before it is too late..... As for the comparison of Kolbe to Wade.... what they had/have in common is box office talent, two of the most exciting players that I have had the pleasure to watch over the last 15 years... small in stature but dynamite. Wade was unlucky with selection to the lions and injury which dented his opportunities, Also a succession of England coaches have more often than not gone with a  safety first attitude.... only time will tell if Eddie should have taken fiver or even given Wade a chance..... Jonny May seized his opportunity and has not looked back.  I still remember the hat trick Wade scored against Leicester at Adams Park various tries against Leinster in Dublin... talk of average competition is just one mans opinion !! Pound for Pound i think Kolbe is probably a better  all round player than and I was excited to see him play live in Japan against our new signing Minozzi. Having survived the Typhoon i shall be at the Ricoh on Sunday, looking forward to this years crop of Black and Gold