Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Salary Cap  (Read 20677 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Salary Cap
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2019, 09:46:34 AM »
Perhaps I am reading too much into the delay but I am thinking that the news is not so good for Saracens and therefore will impact the demeanour of their players still involved in RWC. Either way if I were a Saracens player who was potentially within the parameters that are under discussion then I would be mightily distracted by this, no one likes an uncertain wait, let's hope they are mentally tougher than me.

I drew the very same conclusion. Fingers crossed that justice will be served this time around.

Indeed read it this morning and thought oops something is going to rock the boat - let's bloody well hope so.
Let me tell you something cucumber

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2019, 10:05:01 AM »
Perhaps I am reading too much into the delay but I am thinking that the news is not so good for Saracens and therefore will impact the demeanour of their players still involved in RWC. Either way if I were a Saracens player who was potentially within the parameters that are under discussion then I would be mightily distracted by this, no one likes an uncertain wait, let's hope they are mentally tougher than me.

I drew the very same conclusion. Fingers crossed that justice will be served this time around.

I'm reading it the same way. If there was no case to answer an announcement would have been made . The fact that PRL have felt the need (press and other clubs and supporters beginning to feel a whitewash is coming) to say that a ruling has been makes me think Sarries have been "pinged".

The question is - what's the punishment? A fine simply won't cut it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 11:33:12 AM by BG »

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2019, 10:14:31 AM »
There are eight Saracens players in the England squad in Japan including captain Owen Farrell, and any sanction given to the club could have a significant impact on their careers.

If Saracens are found guilty they will almost certainly be forced to cut their budget, in addition to potentially being given a points deduction of up to 35 points, which could lead to several players needing to look for new employers.

Mmmmmmm!!!!!!

Not forgetting Liam Williams in the Welsh squad. Now there's a thought we could do with a 15 on the bench ;-)
It was fine when I left it.....

WallyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2019, 11:35:10 AM »
I actually agree with delaying any announcement, though not sure about announcing said delay... just gets tongues wagging and could easily distract Eng contingent anyway... Let's hope whatever sanction (if any) fits the crime (assuming they have been adjudged to have committed one!).

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2019, 12:33:07 PM »
There's no mention of this on the Sorries' Sports Network site today. I should be surprised, but given the state of denial they've all been in over the last few years, I'm really not surprised at all.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2019, 02:34:00 PM »
Well it is only a story at the moment- the important fact is the punishment, of which we know nothing. I just hope we don't get a whitewash.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2019, 02:40:34 PM »
Well it is only a story at the moment- the important fact is the punishment, of which we know nothing. I just hope we don't get a whitewash.

;D

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2019, 03:51:54 PM »

Of course, but if similar stories were circulating about our club, I imagine it would be a very hot topic on here and the DW page. I find it very curious that they are choosing to ignore it. I've not checked the other SN pages, but I imagine there is some discussion on there from other team's fans.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2019, 08:06:29 AM »

Daeg

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2019, 08:46:35 AM »
I love the way they have focussed on the The Daily Fail as the problem. I also love how they list themselves alongside the 'Sussexes' as specific targets. Talk about delusions of grandeur... they think they are Rugby Royalty!!! Last time I looked only Gloucester could claim that!!

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2019, 08:51:57 AM »
What about the Quins on the back of Will Carling?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2019, 08:55:46 AM »
Was Will on his back?  :)
Let me tell you something cucumber

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2019, 09:03:34 AM »
Not sure we ever got to see photos

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2019, 09:15:38 AM »
I love the way they have focussed on the The Daily Fail as the problem. I also love how they list themselves alongside the 'Sussexes' as specific targets. Talk about delusions of grandeur... they think they are Rugby Royalty!!! Last time I looked only Gloucester could claim that!!

Delusional all round I feel, talk about burying your head in the sand. Everyone else is suspicious, but they think the sums add up and they all just want to play for less wages as Sarries are such a great club.....

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2019, 10:00:17 AM »
Understandably the Sarries supporters are dissmissive of the allegations (investigation and ruling). I only read a couple of online newpapers but it is noticeable that its not being covered by other outlets but that might be because established rugby correspondents are nervous about poking their head above the parapet. They rely on having close relations with players, clubs, PRL and the RFU so they won't want to ruffle feathers for fear of losing those cosy relationships.

Most will be reporting on the WC, which is what their bosses will be paying them to write about.

Don't forget that rugby is a fairly niche market when it comes to the press. Even in the football off-season, football will get 90% more press coverage than rugby.

We have no idea what the ruling will be but either way, I don't think it will change the perception of the other 12 PRL clubs.. the owners, the DoR's and us.. the supporters who have questioned how Sarries can afford to maintain the squad they have.