Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Salary Cap  (Read 20157 times)

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Salary Cap
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2019, 10:33:59 AM »

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2019, 08:22:31 PM »
Are they working in the theory that if he's no longer a director he is no longer technically a connected party under the salary cap rules and can therefore establish financial links with players outside the cap?

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2019, 08:56:00 AM »
Are they working in the theory that if he's no longer a director he is no longer technically a connected party under the salary cap rules and can therefore establish financial links with players outside the cap?

I think the finance director and the salary cap manager (one of which is a good friend of Wray, worth £350m) have left Sarries in the last month or so but I thought a lot of the Ltd companies set up had Wray as a co-director?

That being said I wonder if the manager/director worth £350m also re-routed his own personal wealth to players as well in similar deals.

Well find out in about a weeks time.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2019, 01:02:11 PM »
Wonder when this will surface. Hopefully soon.
Let me tell you something cucumber

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2019, 01:15:19 PM »
Wonder when this will surface. Hopefully soon.

Wed or Thurs I think

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2019, 01:33:36 PM »
Sarries board saying meeting is Monday of all parties where disclosure will be made. Obviously they are to be found not guilty of anything whatsoever anytime in the past or future. Squeaky clean them.
Let me tell you something cucumber

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2019, 01:44:19 PM »
Perhaps time for a Sarries fixture boycott threat from the other Teams if nothing done?

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2019, 06:25:21 PM »
As I see it, the club can be penalised, but the players can't be

I don't the club can be forced to release players as they're all in contract.
They probably also can't reduce any of their wages as again they'll all be in contract.

I suppose they could potentially be forced to release players, and pay their contract off, but that seems unlikely.
Any player released may not be able to pick up another club given that few will have salary cap space.

It'll be an interesting judgement

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2019, 07:51:04 PM »
My fear is that like last time it will all be swept under the carpet avoid both an expensive legal battle and the reputational damage to the league of admitting the champions cheated.

My bet is that the announcement will be Sarries did not breach the cap but a whole new section will be added to the rules to "clarify" what's not allowed. The big worry is that they will then do what they did last time and increase the cap by a few million thus allowing Sarries to pay their players the full market rate and all but destroying the cap. What's the point of having a cap that only 1 or 2 clubs can afford to spend?

I agree it would be difficult if player contracts had to be honoured but of course we're talking about payments / business investments outside contracts. In theory Sarries could be forced to wrap up all the off-field deals leaving the players locked into their playing contracts on half wages. Then we'll see what the Sarries' team spirit is really like!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 07:59:08 PM by Marlow Nick »

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2019, 08:29:38 PM »
As I see it, the club can be penalised, but the players can't be

I don't the club can be forced to release players as they're all in contract.
They probably also can't reduce any of their wages as again they'll all be in contract.

I suppose they could potentially be forced to release players, and pay their contract off, but that seems unlikely.
Any player released may not be able to pick up another club given that few will have salary cap space.

It'll be an interesting judgement

Maybe some players will be locked out? The club obliged to pay them, but not allowed to play them. To give them game time, the club could be forced to loan them, for free?

BrackenandMacken

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2019, 08:32:39 PM »
Personally I think any fudge will ruin the premiership as a competition for a long long time.

Lets not forget they have been caught before, they were let off and instead of obeying the rules they set their accountants to work to find out other inventive ways they may get away with paying their squad more than everyone else does.

I can only hope for a large fine, maximum point deduction and a stop to any additional payments which are deemed to be outside the cap. Unfortunately I think they will raise the cap and close the loop hole.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2019, 09:21:46 AM »
I remember reading that the previous part owners from SA were worried that things weren't being done properly.

The daughter of the owner raised questions at a board meeting.. and wasn't given assurances .. mysteriousy.. the SA owners quickly asked Wray to buy their shares.

I don't begrudge any club having sugar daddies but the rules are in place to protect the league.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2019, 02:52:35 PM »
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/saracens-salary-acing-potential-35-point-reduction-and-a-real-threat-of-relegation

RugbyPass understands that the 12 other Premiership Rugby Limited clubs (including Championship outfit Newcastle Falcons) are keen to stick the boot into Saracens as they feel the integrity of the competition is at stake. Saracens are furious at the impending punishment, as they maintain that they’ve not breached salary cap rules.

Well lets hope so....

W2APS

« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2019, 09:23:56 PM »
#rugbymemes

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk